Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the Bluetooth SDK? Can my app communicate directly with the Fitbit tracker?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit devices only sync through the Fitbit app. The device data is then immediately available via the API for third-party applications that a Fitbit user has authorized.

Best Answer
0 Votes
52 REPLIES 52

Hi @JeremiahFitbit

I respect, but does not understand, your policy. I was thinking just to forget about it and find another tracker. But then I saw @dstarck comment.

Your argument that battery life will be short if you open the API does not make sense. As @dstarck points out we have a common goal of not draining the battery.

The best solution for developers would not be to deal directly with the communications layer API. Fitbit would be best of by providing a sdk with the functions like

- Initiate sync

- Give me heart rate (to restrain battery you could time limit this to one minute)

- Give me steps today

- Give me battery level

The second best would be to implement intents in your android app so that we could write a android app that talks to your android app.

Well that was the technical perspective. If you look at this from a business perspective then I understand even less. I believe Fitbit makes money selling the trackers as a one time income. And a upsell to Premium subscription on the portal.

That's it (unless you are thinking about selling my health information).

This means that the more trackers you sell, the more money you make. We, the entrepreneurs, can make systems that use your trackers as part of our solution.

This will in turn sell more of your trackers - which is in line with your business model.

The developers should be your best friends. For inspiration take a look at how Myo has created a market, and how they encourage developers to find new uses for their product.

Best Answer

@TerChris: I'm very well aware of the potential. That doesn't change the physical reality of battery life constraints, but I appreciate your enthusiasm.

Best Answer
0 Votes
OK. I get it. That you may have perf goals that you want to maintain /achieve. Can you let us know if we should be looking at a different platform, or is providing an sdk on your road map? Devs will move on to other products if you are too slow and difficult to work with.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@dstarck: Fitbit devices attempt to sync every 15–20 minutes and data is then available via the Web API. If you need data live streaming over Bluetooth to your app, you should consider another device.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the direct answer
Best Answer
0 Votes

Its not an API question. He says he knows there is an API hes asking for direct device access not the web sync api

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't really have anything to add since the same answer has been given at least 5 times in this thread.  But I just wanted to sign on to say that I think there should be at least an option to enable direct communication with a fitbit.  If this was a feature that could be turned on in device settings (with a huge warning for end-users "WHOAH, THIS IS GOING TO DESTROY YOUR BATTERY LIFE, RIP"), that would be awesome.

Doesn't sound like it's going to happen though.  I don't have an important use case by any means... I just wanted the augmented reality game, Ingress, to be able to make my fitbit vibrate at faster and faster intervals as I approached certain "portal" coordinates, until I'm within range.

With the Blaze and Surge sporting their own GPS, I still think I don't think it would put much battery drain on the devices if we could save coordinates directly and have them do native fitbit tasks (such as vibrate) when in the vicinity of one.  Granted, I want to save about 1,700 coordinates which is probably excessive.  Not sure what other use cases could benefit from this.  Maybe something like automatic check-ins, or an event-based API (ping your phone when certain locations are reached to do whatever you set it to do).

Best Answer

@JeremiahFitbit wrote:

@dstarck: Fitbit devices attempt to sync every 15–20 minutes and data is then available via the Web API. If you need data live streaming over Bluetooth to your app, you should consider another device.

Hiya @JeremiahFitbit,

I understand that the devices are built to sync at only certain intervals. What about a way to access data during those certain times without an internet connection?

Not constant live streaming, just a way to access updates when they happen with one's own app. Whenever the device naturally interacts with a phone. That would be something nice to have. 🙂 Is that something that could come in the future?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FoxStep Are you referring to something like offline sync? I think to accomplish what you're asking for, you would need to have an SDK.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure if you have already chosen another product, but just to let you know, you can get live real-time heart rate data from the heart rate chest straps (e.g. Polar H7, Wahoo Tickr). They use the standard heart rate bluetooth profile, so you can connect to them directly from a mobile and get live data from them.

-Matt

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your tip off on MS Band. I see they also have a web API but they also have an SDK, for IOS & Android too!!, with working samples!!! Thank You !

I think fitbit want the monopoly on the data...

Best Answer
0 Votes

1) exactly. with all the big data and iot going on, these guys have figured that data is the important thing, even though they still dont have a clue as to what to do with it.

2) also, they dont want devs making apps that may compete with theirs, lest we find something better and say goodbye to the fitbit app. for them, its about keeping a customer being a customer even after the device purchase. unfortunately for them, its just the opposite. if you want to keep a customer guys, let them choose their app, theyll be happier and in 4-5 years will purchase another fitbit app.

Best Answer
0 Votes
theyll be happier and in 4-5 years will purchase another fitbit app.

I'm digressing here, but...

Your trackers last 4-5 years?  My Fitbit Flex died after a year, my wife's Fitbit Flex died after about 14 months, I burned through the Fitbit One clips and sleep straps every few months only to realize it was cheaper just to get a new device (I think that one still works though), and my wife's Charge HR started to die after the first month.  She was pretty upset about the HR one because she bought the purple version which was on backorder and it took them about five months to deliver it, only to have the device never work as intended.  She's already given up on fitbit products  I've had better luck and may consider using them in the future, but it all depends on what's available when my HR dies.

One of my friends recommends the new Pebble Core since it's open-source oriented.  I might give it a shot even if it's kind of dorky looking just because the best vote you can give for open source is with your wallet.

Best Answer
0 Votes