Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing an app running on Windows IoT

Hi,

so my colleagues gifted me with a Raspi 3 for my birthday. Being a Windows programmer I installed Windows IoT on it and started to develop an UWP app showing time, weather, maps etc.

I also integrated my home NetAtmo station by using their web api. It also includes an oauth2 authentication. I designed a login screen in my app and used username and password to authenticate. So far so good.

Reading the fitbit documentation I understand that this is not allowed to replicate here. I apparently need to redirect my user (=me) to the fitbit login screen, but then I have to add a "redirect URL" to continue. I have no idea what URL that may be. Maybe I misinterpreted the documentation?

Please help!

Rainer

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Rainer.Prem,

The redirect URL redirects the user back to your application and then presents the user with the scopes to enable.  The URL needs to be a valid URL that is already established with your server, and has to be an absolute URL.   For example, your URL could be https://www.RainerPremApplication.com/callback.

If you want to test the OAuth process outside of your application, Fitbit offers the OAuth 2.0 Tutorial page which walks a user through the OAuth process.  The tutorial can be found here: https://dev.fitbit.com/apps/oauthinteractivetutorial.  If you access the tutorial at the bottom of your application settings page, the values from your application registration will be entered for you.

OAuth 2.0 Tutorial - Access Point.png

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, this was absolutely not what I need. And not what I asked for. I don't have a server. I'm writing an info app (client only) similar to the fitbit app I have installed on my mobile phone. Just displaying statistics from my own watch and other sources like the netatmo station also in my home. For the netatmo data, I do an OAuth 2.0 authentication as well, but there is no reply. Instead, the answer comes back directly to the app. cu Rainer
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Rainer.Prem,

I read your question as not understanding what the redirect URL is used for and then what the syntax should be.  The URL should point back to a location within your client application.  It sounds like the example redirect URL I provided didn't fit your use case.  

If you would private message me your authorization URL that contains the redirect URL, I'll review it and try to determine the reason why you're not getting a reply during the authorization process.

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes