Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insufficient_permissions

Our app got authorized properly, and we have no problem to get the daily activity data using the following API: GET https://api.fitbit.com/1/user/[user-id]/activities/date/[date].json

Unfortunately, the daily summary of activities we got didn't include the auto recognized activities by the tracker.

When we tried to Get Activity Time Series APIs:
GET /1/user/[user-id]/[resource-path]/date/[date]/[period].json
GET /1/user/[user-id]/[resource-path]/date/[base-date]/[end-date].json

Where resource-path can be:
activities/activityCalories
activities/tracker/calories
activities/tracker/activityCalories
... ...

The queries always failed with error "insufficient_permissions":

{"errorType": "insufficient_permissions",

"message": "API client is not authorized by the resource owner to access the resource requested. Visit https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/oauth2 for more information on the Fitbit Web API authorization process."}

Our app did get all the permissions from the user, can I get a clue on what is wrong with this error? 

Thanks.

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Contacted Fitbit CS. A case number is assigned: 22222832

Nov 17th, 2017:

Me:1: Why daily summary of activities do not include activities like Walking - that tracker automatically detected? I can get only activities manually logged.
Me:Question 2: Why I get insufficient_permissions error when trying to get activities/tracker/...?
Kenner:Thanks for your question, Kevin. As I am not trained to properly assist you with this kind of inquiries, I'll have to escalate your case to another department.
Kenner:They will reach via email as soon as possible to help you with this issue.

Nov 29th, 2017:
Kler:And I can see here that your previous ticket has already been escalated and we are currently working on it now for the best resolution to this issue.
Me:Could you put me through to your technical personal to have an answer?
Me:I have waited for 2 weeks.
Kler:I totally understand your part, Kevin since its been 2 weeks. However, our higher department doesn't have a chat queue. They can only answers inquiry via email.
Kler:But no worries, Kevin because your ticket is on the correct department to handle your case. They just need some time to investigate and give you the correct answer to your inquiry.

No answer received from Fitbit yet so far.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @admin_fitmylife, if you're trying to pull SmartTrack exercises, you can use the GET Activity Logs List endpoint. This is documented at https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/web-api/activity/#get-activity-logs-list.

On the error you're seeing, what's the exact endpoint you're making the call to and what scopes have you requested from the user?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, did you solve your problem? I also have this problem and now I don't know what to do

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @wgqsmmz,

Welcome to the forums!

Could you describe what you are experiencing?

Best Answer
0 Votes