Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intraday elevation data missed

ANSWERED

My Fitbit Versa measures the barometer data correctly, but through the web API I get only zeros as an intraday elevation and floors data

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I think I have a clue.

Fitbit's algorithms calculate elevation and floors as natural numbers, they are positive for both ascending and descending. You can see it perfectly in the collage of three charts: from Fitbit Fit, Fitbit Web API, and Google Fit.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 11.25.16 AM.png

Or am I wrong? Where can I find it in the docs? 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @terraincure 

I test elevation and floors using the Web API Explorer against my own data and I see intraday elevation and floors.   Would you please try this too?

https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/web-api/explore/

Best,

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
Hello, Gordon,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Of course, I did, please, see the screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.30.14 AM.png

I guess the reason is that I use a 2-year old Versa, and somehow Fitbit server didn't calculate or save the elevation and floors data using barometer data from my Versa. The baro sensor seems alright, please see the photo below. What could it be?

20210112_104042.jpg

Regards,

Oleksandr
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @terraincure 

Would you please private message me your Fitbit user ID so I may look at the data that is uploaded to our server?  

Thanks!

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @terraincure 

Thank you for providing me your user id.   Based on the example you provided in this thread, I looked at your data on 2021-01-09.   I see you have elevation changes that occur in the 4pm hour (16:00) not 3pm (15:00).  You can see this by logging into your Fitbit.com account, click Log -> Activities -> and select floors.   I tested all the intraday endpoints using the elevation resource and detail-level = 1min during that timeframe and see elevation data being returned.

Would you please double check this on your end?

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer

Hello, Gordon,

Yes, I already have the elevation data on 2021-01-09 in the 16:00, please see above. I am sure that this data does not reflect reality. 

elevation_09012021_1600_1700.png

For better understanding I picked another route example with the height differences of more than 30m, please see the Google Fit screenshot above. 

Screenshot_20210115-101216_Fit.jpgScreenshot_20210115-101158_Fit.jpgScreenshot_20210115-101039_Fit.jpgScreenshot_20210115-101025_Fit.jpg

Here the screenshot from Google Earth with the elevation profile of this route.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.43.38 AM.png

Here's the Fitbit Web API showing the same really strange peaks. 

elevation_12012021_1500_1700.png

I hope you will be able to find the right answer 

Best,

Oleksandr Tugayev

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think I have a clue.

Fitbit's algorithms calculate elevation and floors as natural numbers, they are positive for both ascending and descending. You can see it perfectly in the collage of three charts: from Fitbit Fit, Fitbit Web API, and Google Fit.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 11.25.16 AM.png

Or am I wrong? Where can I find it in the docs? 

Best Answer
0 Votes