Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reseach tracking

ANSWERED

I am looking to track a group's activity level for 12 weeks using a fitbit. What is the best way to accomplish this for research purposes that would provide daily accurate readings remotely for a group of 32 people?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @tristam21,

You can definitely code a script to use the Fitbit Web API to accomplish this. If you're comfortable with programming, you'll need to implement an OAuth 2.0 consent flow and request the data for each person individually using their OAuth 2 access tokens. For daily summaries, you can use the Get Time Series endpoints.

If you're not comfortable working with Web APIs, I recommend buying a Fitabase license. It's a third-party product created just for researchers working with large groups.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @tristam21,

You can definitely code a script to use the Fitbit Web API to accomplish this. If you're comfortable with programming, you'll need to implement an OAuth 2.0 consent flow and request the data for each person individually using their OAuth 2 access tokens. For daily summaries, you can use the Get Time Series endpoints.

If you're not comfortable working with Web APIs, I recommend buying a Fitabase license. It's a third-party product created just for researchers working with large groups.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much. I am not at all familiar with coding so would need the
fitbase product. Is it easy to use and do you know the approximate cost?

Thanks,

Trista
Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitabase is easy to use and the cost will be much less than hiring programmers to create the data export functionality.

Another option, though much more manual, may be the data export feature in the Fitbit Web app.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much that's very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes