Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are zips not more accurate than a wristband counter?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a fitbit zip, and wear it on my undewear every day, so it literally shoots from the hip, and every step is counted. I'm really happy with it, but I'm confused why the rest of the world is wearing a wristband!! How accurate are they? I know friends who could do 2000 steps just from doing the ironing, I thought steps were all about your feet walking. Would love to know what others think, and if I'm missing some serious technology information that makes the wristbands link to your feet moving!!

Thanks guys 🙂

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I switched from a wristband to a Zip because I was missing steps when I pushed the cart at grocery store or was holding the treadmill handlebars during incline training. My Jawbone used to actually shoot me a message that I should "take my hands of the hand grips" because it sensed I was moving but not moving arms. As PP mentioned, it's probably best to pay attention to trends in your own stats. Last night I realized over the past 2 wks I've logged 10 more miles per wk over 4 wks ago. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

I agree with you. I have had various fitbits over the last few years and I find my One the most accurate and I believe that's because it's a clip-on rather than a wrist-worn device.

Wrist-worn devices are far more prone to getting additional, incorrect, steps through random arm movement being misinterpreted at steps. On the other hand (pardon the pun) they can also miss steps, such as when pushing a trolley or holding the rails of a treadmill.

What I would say though is that the wrist-worn trackers are fairly consistent with their accuracy. If you can accept that the numbers may not be precise and focus instead on trends then they work just fine. So, if they encourage you to increase your step count by 10% then it's this increase that really matters more than the actual step count. 

Fitbit's take on accuracy is in this help file:

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1136/

Best Answer

I switched from a wristband to a Zip because I was missing steps when I pushed the cart at grocery store or was holding the treadmill handlebars during incline training. My Jawbone used to actually shoot me a message that I should "take my hands of the hand grips" because it sensed I was moving but not moving arms. As PP mentioned, it's probably best to pay attention to trends in your own stats. Last night I realized over the past 2 wks I've logged 10 more miles per wk over 4 wks ago. 

Best Answer

The zip is most accurate for walking. Individuals that wear bands are more versatile in their activity and desire more information. My main and often only exercise is walking so I prefer the zip too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The zip is most accurate for walking. Individuals that wear bands are more versatile in their activity and desire more information. My main and often only exercise is walking so I prefer the zip too.

I wish fitbit would continue offering the zip or similar tracker because fitbit information is shared with insurance and “all of us”.  I just purchased a used zip on eBay because My zip had been damaged.  I am so disappointed in my Fitbit inspire hr that was provided by my insurance and SilverSneakers because it misses over 1000 steps a day compared to my usual stats Recorded by the zip. I purchased an ELAH clip on tracker but it’s stats are not shared with my insurance or “all of us”. I have my fingers crossed that the used fitbit will be in good condition and fairly accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes