Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly getting 'tracker disconnected' message

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Mid last week I started getting the 'tracker disconnected' message every time I tried to sync my Zip with my phone.

• My phone and Fitbit app are up to date
  • My phone is a supported device
  • I tried turning wifi off and on
  • I tried turning bluetooth off and on
  • I tried turning the phone off and on
  • I disconnected and reconnected the Zip with the phone via bluetooth
  • I disconnected and set the Zip up again through the Fitbit app
  • I am not syncing other devices
  • My Zip battery is full

The only thing that seems to work is to remove the battery from the Zip and reinsert it.  However this only works once and I have to do this every single time I want to sync it.

Please advise what the problem is and how I/you fix it.

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

It's nice to see you here @nelinuk! Thanks for all the steps you've tried in order to sort this out, nice way to go!

Since you've tried all the available solutions to fix the syncing inconvenience, I have reached out to our support team and created a case regarding your inquiry. Someone will be reaching out to you within the next 24-72 hours with next steps. Smiley Very Happy

Point me out if there's anything else I can do for you in the meantime. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been experiencing the same problem for the past month or two and have tried all the same steps nelinuk listed. Everything had been working fine for the past 2 or 3 years until this started.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @vDunninger! Thanks for taking the time to try all the steps listed by @nelinuk, nice way to go!

While reading your post I was wondering if the mobile phone you're syncing with is included in our list of supported devices? To see the list: Which phones and tablets can I use with my Fitbit watch or tracker?

Please keep in mind that when a device is not supported we cannot guarantee its functionality with the Fitbit app. It might work at a certain time and then it can stop working out of nowhere after an update. This is because the app is not optimized to that device and any change could impact the performance.

If your phone is included and the syncing issue persists, please go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and remove the tracker. In the list of Bluetooth devices you'll see the Zip and next to it, this symbol "!". Hit the symbol and it will take you to the next step, once you're there select the option that says "Forget this device" or "Unpair".

Once you've made sure about that, go back to the Fitbit app, go to the "Account" option in the upper right corner and select "Set up a Device". This should start the setup process for your device. 

If your phone is managing multiple Bluetooth connections simultaneously:

• Your Fitbit device might stop syncing or stop receiving notifications.
  • You can experience interruptions with any consistently streaming Bluetooth connection such as headsets, car kits, stereo audio, tethering, and file transfers.

These interruptions are typically caused by operating system and Bluetooth limitations. It's also possible that an app on your phone is causing the issue.

If you have an Android phone, try these steps:

1. Turn off the Always Connected option in the Fitbit app.
  2. Disable other Bluetooth connections when not in use.
  3. Check to see if your phone has an app compatible with Ford Motor Company's voice control system. If so, disable Bluetooth on the app if possible or uninstall it.

The API used in these apps makes it difficult for Fitbit to communicate reliably with your phone. Ford provides a list of apps but note that other companies may use the API as well.

Hope this helps, let me know the outcome! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for getting back to me. Answers to your questions:
1. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 phone, latest OS2. I very seldom connect to another bluetooth device (never automobile voice control) and have not at all connected to any other device while testing your suggestions3. I went through the steps of unpairing my Fitbit from the app, uninstalling the app, reinstalling it from Google Play Store, and adding the Zip as a new device. The two synced and continued to do so for about 8 hrs before the connection was lost again. They have not been able to reconnect again since (about 3 days now). Batteries have been replaced in the Zip several times. The Zip still counts steps but the time is incorrect. Phone has been rebooted several times.

BTW, my default has always been keeping All-Day-Sync on all the time; never Always Connected. I have tried changing these parameters to try every combination since the problem started. None of this however seems to make a difference.

Bottom line unfortunately is that the syncing is still not working. Other suggestions?Thanks
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @vDunninger, thanks for the detailed information you've shared and for following the recommendations provided. 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions I'd like for you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort. Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
My original problem still isn’t fixed despite buying a new Fitbit

Sent from my Windows 10 device
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the suggestions. Changed the settings as you suggested but the same thing happens. It's fine and syncing for a few hours, then it drops and won't reconnect. I should also point out that it may not be the suggestions that are connecting the device but rather my taking out the battery and putting it back in. If I don't do that,  the changes I have made do not reconnect the Fitbit. 
vDunninger
Best Answer
0 Votes
I get the same - the only way I can sync is by removing the battery and putting it back in. Bloody annoying - particularly when I bought a new FitBit for no good reason!
Best Answer
0 Votes