Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How accurate is the Fitbit Zip?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just received Fitbit Zip. I, also, have a Garmin tracker. I wear both. My problem is this... my Garmin showed that I walked almost 4000 more steps the my Zip did. It really makes me wonder how accurate the Zip is. (The Zip showed that I burned more calories than the Garmin which puzzles me, too!!??!!) Has anyone else used 2 different trackers and compared them?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes
14 REPLIES 14

It's good to see you visiting the Community forums for the first time @Nbh1767

Thank you for your questions regarding the accuracy of Fitbit Zip. I've personally heard great things about this device, and many users have expressed the Zip is one of the favorites. 

It's not always a good idea to compare two devices from different brands, because the algorithm used to track daily activity is different , and data may be different when using them at the same time. Have you experienced any particular problem with accuracy when tracking your daily activities, or you were referring only to this occasion when you compared the two devices and data was different? 

You can also find more useful information about this in the following article: How accurate are Fitbit devices?

I hope this helps, keep me posted. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

So the different algorithms mean that a step is no longer a step.  Riiiiiiiight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your Zip usually counts steps by looking at the movement of the hip, this generally is considered more accurate then a wrist warn device that does not look at the movement of the legs.

The best way to test the accuracy is to take a walk while counting your steps with your mind, then compare to what the Zip counted.

Best Answer
0 Votes
So my question becomes... What is the point in claiming accuracy by these companies??

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

When it comes to fitbits I've tested the step count with many of the models and up to 1000 step counts while doing a real world walk. So far, with one exception, my step counts have bern well within the 5% accuracy.

A tracker mounted on the arm is generally accurate while on walks, but since it is only looking at arm motions it may at times read false steps or miss real steps. That could be why the Garmin read so many more steps, at times simple arm movements may be counted as steps.

Why are their arm based Trackers,? The public wants them.

Have you done any testing yet? I think the accuracy of the Zip will surprise you. Most find this type of tracker to be the most accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got my Zip a few days ago.  Right now, I'm using my old stepper device at the same time as Zip.  I'm only comparing steps.  Zip is calculating far fewer steps than my other device (about 30% less).  I wear them both on my belt/hip.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Informal studies have discovered that wearing the tracker about a pans with from the side of the hip bone send to be the most accurate.

For a definite answer the user would noted to physically count their steps and compare to what the tracker says.

Comparing the Zip with another tracker is not really an acceptable answer unless the user has confirmed the studio count of the other tracker by counting steps  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Before I got my Garmin, I used an app on my phone and showed about the same as my Garmin. I kept it in my back pocket. I think I’m going to try doing all three and see how they compare.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I understand your frustration.  The Go365 points program is requiring me to move from my Humana Pedometer to the Fitbit.  Although I wear them both on my belt at the hip, I'm getting very different step readings.  I did a test...When traveling 50 steps or so, both read about the same.  But when I'm working around my kitchen (5 steps, stop, 3 steps, stop, etc.) Fitbit registers 0 steps.  This is a problem, but what can I do about it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure how the other tracker works, but Fitbit will ignore any step count of 4 or less between pauses, and maybe 5 steps. This is by design to help root out false steps.

While working around the house, when movements are not as predictable, I really would expect that different brands will give different counts since their algorithms will be different.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for all of your comments @nitrodave@Nbh1767 and @kycheryl, in most cases the information being tracked by different brands and devices can be different, but these differences should not be exaggerated of course, or there shouldn't be such a huge difference in the totals, but as it was mentioned earlier, and @Rich_Laue has explained, there are several factors to take into account for accuracy. You can find more information in this article about how Fitbit devices count steps. 

And you can also follow the steps listed here to improve accuracy. 

I hope this helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the info!

I love my Fitbit!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Awesome, no problem @Mer

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I actually hula hoop and dance for exercise and it says you can wear on your bra or shirt which I do, but as I just read its accurate because it takes movement from the hips, its then not accurate, because its recording my hula hooping and even dancing as steps.  If I wear it on my waist I get a totally different much lower reading.  My zip just broke and I'm debating the point of buying another now...

Best Answer
0 Votes