Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Zip won't set up

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My old zip is worn, found new one on ebay, and opened separate account in husband's name. because i want to keep both working as long as i can. Problem is zip app it will not let me set up  the zip.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @patintexas  what happens when you try to set it up? The Zip was retired quite a few years ago and some of the ones being sold on eBay just don't work.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Hi @patintexas   I do want to give you some different information from an earlier reply by Odyssey13.     Yes the Zip has been retired.   That being said, YES you can use your Zip.    You do need to do a couple of extra steps but you can use your Zip.     Unfortunately you cannot set up your Zip directly from the Fitbit connnector since Zip does not display as an option..     BUT all is not lost...   You simply must first set your Zip up on the mobile app and then your computer will recognize your Zip.

If you only want to use Fitbit mobile app, then just pick Zip and follow the set up steps...    You should be good to go..       However if you want to set it up on your computer, you need to follow a few extra steps.    AND Yes, I have done this so I do know it does work.        After setting up your Zip on the Fitbit mobile app.   Ensure that the app has your complete login profile AND the app recognizes and syncs your zip.   You must do this before trying to get it to work on your computer.   Then go to your computer and install the fitbit connector app on your computer.        Log into your profile.   It will pick up your zip information from your profile.    After that,  You should be good to go....   you should be able to open up the connector and sync your Zip.      Oh and don't forget to go on the device part of the computer app and get the latest Zip device update.

Good Luck

Best Answer

@gar-42  next month, the computer apps from Fitbit will be discontinued. Also, we don't know what happened to @patintexas as they never returned to let us know. I have a friend who has a Zip in use and another one in a drawer for the day it's needed. It's a sweet little device.

Best Answer

@Odyssey13  thanks so much for the update.   I was not aware that the Fitbit computer app was to be discontinued.    I do understand why... it takes a lot of funds to keep all of the mobile apps and all of the different computer apps working as computer operating systems are changed.   That being said,  I do like to use my computer app, and I will miss it....   

I do hope I will NOT have to give up my Zip...   I think I'm on my 4th.   I love them... I can put it in my pocket and not worry about it... (not much bigger than my change and smaller than my set of keys).     I know the new devices can track many more items... but I'm happy that my Zip is able to focus on "one thing"   and that is my steps...   

Best Answer

@gar-42 seems like so much these days are done on the phones. You can still look at the dashboard from your computer, so that's still there for us. My friend said the same about their Zip. They only care about the steps, so all the fancier styles have no appeal. As long as you have a compatible phone, you should be able to continue with the Zip. At some point, Fitbit won't be updating the software for the Zip. Generally it's two years after the date of retirement, but even then, it might keep working.

Best Answer

Thanks for taking the time to share this information.   My wife requested a replacement for her broken Zip for her birthday.  We are older and like familiar things.   I found a new Zip at a premium price and was frustrated when I could not find a way to sync it to her computer profile.   Your directions worked perfectly!   Thanks much.......   Mike

Best Answer

Hi @oldnavyfcc my friend bought  spare Zip a few years ago before they vanished from the stores. It's amazing how much people are wanting for even used devices once they are no longer being made. Glad you got things going for you and the wife.

Best Answer