Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New zip overestimates calories

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm strictly talking purposeful exercise and not bmr.

I bought the Zip because my One, AltaHR, and original ChargeHR overestimated as well and thought maybe if I downgraded (one or two less bells and whistles than the One so there's less for the Zip to think about) I'd at least get closer calories burned than the HR models. The Zip is giving me higher numbers! TDEE on never really relaxing days is an overestimated 3100, HR models about 4500, and the Zip is giving me over 5000.

I'm a 5'2", 105 lb, 53 year old woman. No way I'm burning that much. I gave the AltaHR a chance to learn me and nothing changed so decided to try the Zip along with still wearing the One. . All my stats are correct. I entered stride length and the distance between the One and Zip agree. Step count (which I don't really care about) are about 100 steps difference with the One giving more steps but less calories and the Zip giving less steps and more calories.

So any suggestions before I try to send the Zip back?

Thanks for any help. Smiley Happy

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @glassyo, thanks for posting all those details about your experience with Fitbit. The time and effort that you're investing on solving this are greatly appreciated. 

Fitbit is dedicated to developing the most accurate fitness devices on the market. Calories are related to the number of steps that you're taking. As you might know your BMR usually accounts for at least half of the calories you burn in a day and is estimated based on the physical data you entered when you set up your account: sex, age, height, and weight. So please check that all those steps are correct on the Setting in the Fitbit App.

The calorie burn estimate that Fitbit provides takes into account your BMR, the activity recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually. You can find more details about Fitbit accuracy here: How accurate are Fitbit devices?

Your Fitbit Zip is designed to be worn close to the body. Are you wearing it in this way? A shirt pocket, bra, pants pocket, belt, or waistband are all ideal places to wear your Zip. Always remember to use the silicone holder when clipping Zip to a bra or waistband; Zip should not be worn in close contact with the skin. For this reason don't wear Zip inside your bra.

User-added imageUser-added image User-added image

If you are already checking those details on your Fitbit and you're still noticing discrepancies. Then follow the accuracy test steps, so we can verify how is this working. Robot Happy

1. Put your Zip on your wrist.
2. Walk 100 steps, making sure to count a step each time one of your feet hits the ground.
3. Pause, then check your tracker to see your step count.

If your tracker counted less than 100 steps or more than 100, please let us know and we'll see if we can investigate further. Sometimes, when you start walking you may notice that your steps may not update on your tracker right away. After about 10-15 continuous steps, you'll notice the steps catch up and start updating in real-time with each step you take.

A restart can be useful in this case, if not we might have to check what is the next options with our support team.

I'll be around, let me know how this works! Woman Wink

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@YojanaFitbitThanks for replying. 🙂 I tried wearing it both on my bra and on my undies facing out. No difference. I don't have pockets that would keep it from moving around, even if clipped, so haven't tried that.

The one thing I've never had problems with on my fitbits is the step test but I'll try that anyway tonight. I'll also reset it and post tomorrow or later tonight with how it did with the exercise calories.

Edited to add:

So I reset it and took it on my walk tonight and it gave me almost twice as many calories as the One. Step count was like within 20 steps of each other.

AND I just tried doing the step test and now it's being temperamental about counting them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back and for trying the suggested steps @glassyo.

I'm not sure why you're getting more calories on the Zip. Do you have both trackers on the same account? It might be that calories are translating and it gets that information.  What is really reliable is the steps test. So, why don't you delete one tracker while you're testing the other one? In that way you can check the accuracy. 

Keep me posted. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes