Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZIP does not update App in real-time

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It appears that unlike the Fitbit One, the ZIP does not update the App in real-time, but only by clicking "Sync Now". Am I correct? I find this a severe limitation.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for getting back and providing the outcome after getting in touch with our Customer Support @Bob9999

As you can see in our article: Can I see real-time data in the Fitbit app. You can watch your stats update in real time for all trackers except Fitbit Zip and Fitbit Ultra, but you can on your Fitbit One. Note that you must keep the screen of your mobile device turned on and the Fitbit app in focus at all times. If you close the Fitbit app or put your device to sleep, you'll need to open the app again to see real-time data. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Nice to see that you're digging into the Forums @Bob9999, let me give you a warm welcome to our Community. Smiley Happy

Thanks for posting your question here. Fitbit trackers and watches should sync when you open the Fitbit app or when you manually sync your device. You just need to verify that the option "All day sync" is on. Or you can just leave it off and use the option "Sync now" when you want to connect it. You can check more details here: How do Fitbit devices sync their data?

If you already checked those details you can also check possible reasons why your Zip is not syncing when you open the Fitbit App.

Let me know if you have questions. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There appears to be a significant difference between how the ZIP and the ONE update the step counter in the App. The ONE provides real-time updates, i.e. the App step counter updates with each step taken. However, the ZIP only updates the step counter if you click "Sync Now" or open the App, which is very inconvenient if you are trying to monitor your steps while exercising, e.g. on a treadmill. In both cases, "All day sync" was turned on.

I spent about an hour chatting with your Tech Support yesterday, and in the end, she said that the ZIP, unlike the ONE, would NOT update in real-time. Therefore, I have reverted to my old ONE.

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back and providing the outcome after getting in touch with our Customer Support @Bob9999

As you can see in our article: Can I see real-time data in the Fitbit app. You can watch your stats update in real time for all trackers except Fitbit Zip and Fitbit Ultra, but you can on your Fitbit One. Note that you must keep the screen of your mobile device turned on and the Fitbit app in focus at all times. If you close the Fitbit app or put your device to sleep, you'll need to open the app again to see real-time data. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Thank you for the clarification. I looked at the specifications for the ZIP and could not find any reference to it not providing real-time data. Did I miss something? I would not have purchased the ZIP if I had known it did not have this capability and it is now too late to return it.

Best Answer

I totally understand your point @Bob9999! All the information about Fitbit Zip can be found by clicking here

I'd like to add that the warranty in most of the regions is only for 365 days. (In Europe due to the law, is extended for 2 years). This means that your tracker will be covered for a full year and during this period of time you can receive any replacement in case of a defect. But this warranty does not apply to that new tracker extending the time. The period of warranty would be only applicable on your original purchase until the 365 days have expired.

Also, if you received a replacement within the warranty (365 days) it does not mean it won't be valid after this. So, if your tracker fails again and your tracker is still between the time of the original warranty, you might be eligible for a replacement based on the resolution of our Support Team, this applies until the stipulated time of the warranty had expired.

If there's something else you'd like me to assist you with, let me know. 

Best Answer

On the link that you sent, where does it say that the ZIP does not update in real-time? Since, the ZIP does not update in real-time, I don't think that it is a warranty issue. If I had understood that the ZIP did not update in real-time, I would never have purchased it, and if I had discovered it within the 60 day return window, I would have returned it. Unfortunately, due to travels, I did not try to set it up until Saturday, which was a week or so after the 60 day return period ended. 

The ZIP works according to what I was told by the support technician, and verified by you, however it does not work the same way as my ONE does, with respect to real-time updates. Unfortunately, without this capability, I find the ZIP to be useless.

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back @Bob9999! You can find general information about any tracker here: https://help.fitbit.com/ . In the Search bard you can type what you're looking for and you'll get topics related to the word-key you selected.  

I'd recommend checking out our comparison page at https://www.fitbit.com/compare, where you can see at a glance the features that each tracker provides. 

Let me know if you have a question our comparison page doesn't answer and I'll be happy to get you the information you need.

Best Answer

I went to the comparison page, but didn't see a "real-time update" feature. How do I see which products have this capability?

Best Answer

You can learn more about the real-time feature by clicking in the article I've provided above. Can I see real-time data in the Fitbit app

Hope it helps, have a nice day @Bob9999

Best Answer

Yes, I have seen that article and wish that I had seen it prior to purchasing a ZIP. My point is that the ZIP product page and specifications say nothing about its inability to send real-time data. I purchased the ZIP because the ONE is no longer available. It was only after discovering that the steps were not being updated in real-time, and spending an hour chatting with your technical support person, that I was told that the ZIP did not have real-time capability. My suggestion is that you make that clear on the ZIP product page. I guess that I am the only Fitbit customer who uses this capability.

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing your feedback @Bob9999.

I totally understand where you're coming from. This is a great way to make your voice heard! I think your suggestion is an excellent idea, I would like to encourage you submit it as a suggested idea. Members of the Community can comment and vote for it, so it can be implemented in a future updates.

Let me know if there's anything else I may assist you with.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes