Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Day Sync toggle was removed from Fitbit app

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why on earth have you removed the ability to auto sync? Now the only thing is just ‘sync now’ ?! I liked seeing my details in real time on the app, im now having to force it to sync as it no longer does it automatically 😞 very disappointed you have removed this and may well look to changing to an alternative ‘fitness band’

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Have you checked the battery life of an Apple or Garmin watch? I don't know anybody that can get a full day with Apple

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Hi @pauline12345 your asking about an option, I assume, on your Android Fitbit app. The Charge 2 can not initiate a sync process.

On Android the ability to disable all day sync was removed so that the Fitbit account will be kept up to date.

All day sync has not been born removed, the ability to turn off all day sync has been removed.

I'll move your android based question to the android board.

Best Answer

No not an andriod - ios an iphone. There used to be a choice for sync all day or sync now - now there is only sync now. I want to have the CHOICE as i like mine constantly updating so i can see all my data in real time - it no longer does this and i keep having to force it to sync which is really frustrating and not what i want

Best Answer

It does auto update, the ability to disable all day sync has been removed.

All day sync has not been removed.

Please dont get mad because the first post was asking about the Fitbit app on an unknown phone, and posted in the tracker hardware section.

I can only guess based on what I know.

In any case, you still have all day sync, you do not have the option to turn off all day sync. This option has been removed so the tracker has a better chance of sending updates.

Best Answer

I really dont think there is any need to be patronising and telling someone to not be mad - it was a statement - at no point did i say anything rude or direct anything negative at the replier.

In any event I disagree with this response - the app no longer syncs all day since the feature was removed. I can look at the app and

be out walking and i used to see exactly what my steps were, what my heart rate was, everything in the one place at that exact moment in time. Now it no longer does that.

Best Answer

I think it’s ridiculous this option has been removed. It completely takes away the ability for the user to have control over their devices battery management and efficiency.

Best Answer

I have the same problem. It has an impact on my Charge 2 and iPhone battery performance. In-app live heart rate is not working anymore. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Best Answer

It also assures that your Fitbit data is kept up to date as much as possivle.

Please remember that Fitbit uses the low energy form of bluetooth, meaning little current needed and only during the actual sync process or for the nice period during a notification being sent.

@KacperDiff does ios have a feature that tells the user how much power each app is using?

When you go into your bluetooth list of devices, the tracker should only show as connected when the tracker is actually communicating with the phone. Most of the time the tracker should not say connected.

Best Answer

Taking the option for turning off auto sync drains your battery drastically. The fact that Fitbit batteries last a week with “auto sync” OFF is literally the ONLY upper hand u have at this point to an Apple Watch. If our batteries are dead by the end of the day we might as well upgrade. Apple Watch already has an extreme upper hand compared to what your product allows to begin with. What a wasted update. Please add that toggle switch back or your business will go elsewhere. 

Best Answer

Agreed - device no longer auto syncs throughout the day. See screenshot below. 

I can go a week or more without opening the fitbit app. And if I do that, guess what?  I've lost sleep data because the device only stores it for a week AND syncing takes a long time to complete. Bring back auto/all-day sync, or at least allow it to sync with the app automatically once per day! I shouldn't have to babysit my technology. 

Screenshot_20210822-090215_Fitbit.jpg

Best Answer

You need to check your permissions @CNodd The fit it app needs to be able to run while in the background. 

Another thought is that your notifications probably isn't working. 

Best Answer

My Watch battery's health is great, but since the ability to turn off auto sync has been revoked my charge 2 cannot last more than a half a day, it also affects my iPhone SE's battery. I've since turned off background app refresh to help but it won't compleatly stop Fitbit auto syncing and from running in my background to sync and killing my battery, but still, now my Fitbit app is running non stop. I should probably switch to an Apple Watch at this point or maybe a Garmin watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you checked the battery life of an Apple or Garmin watch? I don't know anybody that can get a full day with Apple

Best Answer

Dear fitibit Team, 

I'm having the same problem and would like to propose some minor changes to majorly improve the user experience. Happy to hear back from you... 

As I'm quite forgetful about synchronizing, my history is quite full of gaps. Personally I don't have a problem with there not being an option to turn on/off auto-sync. What bothers me though is, not being informed about it. Thus...
Proposition #1: Above/Below the "Sync now", where the Auto-Sync Switch used to be, add a simple text field, telling me, the user, "Auto-Sync has been permanently turned on in order to guarantee you keeping all your health data" (or something along those lines). This should have happened the very moment the Switch was taken away! 

Extremely important and helpful was your @Rich_Laue advice that "Background Refresh" needs to be enabled. But: I should not need to go to a community forum to find out. Neither can every user be expected to know or guess that him/herself. Thus...

Proposition #2: Add this info to above requested info text: "[...] In order to use this feature, make sure 'Background Refresh' is enabled for Fitbit in you device settings."

Considering there will be (evidently) a non-negligible number of customers not aware of this and thus needing to manually synchronize - and even for those using the auto-sync successfully! - a reminder would be very mindful of you. Thus...

Proposition #3: Let the device remind the user that the seven days are going to be over soon and consequently there's a threat of data loss. Just make it like the "Charge me"...

Finally, it took me a while to register that my sleep, heartbeat and other data gets lost. After syncing after a couple of weeks I almost was impressed by how my steps history didn't show a gap. Now finding out, I apparently have been awake all day but dead in the meantime (meaning, no sleep or heartrate data older than 1-2 weeks) I'm not so impressed anymore. Thus...

Proposition #4: Make it visible, what data is in threat of being lost when. - Actually, implementing Proposition #3 would already get rid of this problem... 

Regarding the battery consumption and there being an option in iOS seeing it... I don't know! But if I'm interested, showing it in the Fitbit app would seriously impress me, considering how simple of a feature it is, and be a plus and additional selling point for Fitbit!

I'm happy with some features of my Fitbit Charge 3 but the above mentioned problems regarding user experience seriously make me consider going for a competitor next. Would love to hear back from you and see my propositions implemented (especially considering how simple they should be).

Best Answer

@NepNick I didn't say anything about turning on background refresh. I mention that the app needs to be able to run in the background. This is the default status. The problem is that ocaisionly a user feels that they do not want the fitbit app running in the background and revoked this permission. This results in having to open the app to sync and the user will not receive notifications

The title of this thread, Auto Sync Removed is not accurate. 

The title should be, The option to disable Auto Sync has been removed   

This decision was made about 2 years ago to assure a moregunifoem experience among users. Especially with chakkanges and syncing with. 3rd party apps. 

However your tracker will store 7 days of detail dats (sleep - exercise - heart rate - etc) then another 27 days of daily totals (step counts - calories - active minutes - not sure if it what else)

Proposals IE: Feature Suggestions belong in the Feature Suggestion Board. However before posting a new suggestion, please do the required search, since many suggestions have been made and duplicate suggestions become an hinderence spreading votes across multiple like suggestions. 

Best Answer

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members. @Rich_Laue Thanks for your great help.

As you may know, the All Day Sync option has been removed from the Fitbit app to ensure the connection between your Fitbit device and the Fitbit app, as well as the performance of certain apps and features. I understand your point of view about these changes and truly appreciate your feedback. Our team constantly works to improve our features, and rest assured your comments will be taken into consideration to make that happen.

On the other hand, if you have new ideas that you wish to see in the future, as @Rich_Laue mentioned, I also encourage you to share them in the Feature Suggestion board. This is the right place to make your voice heard and get the attention of our developers.

I'm going to close this thread from further comments. However, you can always start a new thread in the Help Forums in case you have another question. You can also check our Help Site where you'll find information about our products and features, as well as troubleshooting steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes