Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot edit exercise type on Fitbit app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My old watch allowed me to classify “sport” to what I really did , like say ice skating. Now I can’t find a way to edit.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
38 REPLIES 38

So old Fitbit’s used to be able to click on workout for ease but then go into the app and change them

i saw someone tell us how to “manage data” but this now doesn’t work.

I do lots of different workouts, core, cardio, hiit (not there timer), tabatha, weights, barre ect so like to be able to edit these like I used to.

anyone know how to?

Best Answer

I figured it out! Go to exercise on the watch, mine defaults to run as first option and then swipe up. You’ll see the wee arrow at bottom. Then it brings up a button that says more. Hit that and you’re given an option of 40 exercises. I presume then you’re most used/most recent ones come up first. I only got it yesterday so have yet to use to track exercise. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Wesanfo.

In the Fitbit app you should be able to select the activity and open it - tap the pencil icon in the top right corner - you should be able to edit the activity here.

IMG_20240302_170826_134.jpgIMG_20240302_170825_988.jpg

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Hello @chrissy1987 

There's a bug that prevented us from editing the name of a completed activity. We were recently informed that the bug is partially fixed and we should be able to edit the name of an activity that doesn't have a GPS option (e.g., walk, run). I think the fix is part of the most recent Fitbit app update to version 4.11. I was able to see the pencil icon on the name field after the ver 4.11 update was installed on my phone.

If you don't have version 4.11 and don't see it in your app store, please be patient as the app updates tend to be done in waves.

The team is still working on the fix for activities that have a GPS option. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer before that fix rolls out to all users.

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi
I have that on my watch but majority of those I would never use and still doesn’t show tabatha, Zumba or the ones I would use unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Can only edit , start, stop and the distance. Thanks, Wes
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Yep you can’t edit the activity like you used to be able to

Best Answer

Hello @chrissy1987 

Have you tried using "Workout" for your activities, then edit the name in the app?

Best Answer
0 Votes
That’s the thing I can’t edit in the app anymore?

Used to be able to in a very long winded way using manage data. But can’t do that now

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I’m all up to date with the versions and it’s stopped me doing it

Best Answer

I posted this problem a while back: “The app automatically determines the exercise type, as usual, and is more often than not, correct. In the past, if it wasn’t, I could go in and change the category of that exercise to a different type without altering the actual details. Now that ability is no longer available.”

And got this reply from John1D, “It’s possible, but it’s a royal pain in the rear. From the Fitbit app, go to today and then go to Exercise Days. Click the 3 dots in the upper right corner and then Manage Data. Scroll down to Exercise (exercise logs, GPS tracking) and select it. In a teal color you’ll see Review Your Data. Select it and you’ll see your entries. Select the one that’s incorrect and then Categorize Exercise. 
they took something simple and made it complicated. Hope this helped.”

The problem is, this no longer appears to work at all! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Best Answer

@julesjmj Yeah, looks like they broke 'Review Your Data'. Just jumps back to the home screen, then to the exercises list. Annoying.

I think the only way to edit stuff is in the web dashboard now. 

Best Answer

Hey @julesjmj 

The workaround that allowed you to recategorize your exercises worked with app versions v4.00 thru v4.09. But, as of version v4.10, google disabled that. I have suspected for some time now that google intends to destroy the fitbit brand. Now that they are intentionally crippling the app, I am 100% convinced. You can still (for now) recategorize auto-detected exercises on the web dashboard.

Edit: I suggest you manually start your exercises on your fitbit device. You can also start it on the iOS app, but you will not get any heart rate or elevation gain data. That's my experience with my Charge4.

Best Answer

Hello @chrissy1987 

Thanks for confirming that it's not working for you in the app. I'll see if I can get a better update for iOS users and will report back as soon as I have a definitive answer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you both, gentlemen. <sigh>. I assume? if you make changes on the dashboard, it’s reflected in the app still?

When the option came, I guess a while back now, to link the Fitbit accounts to Google, I didn’t do it as I didn’t see any real need and I didn’t understand any reason to do so. What are your thoughts/experiences/knowledge on the matter?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @julesjmj 

Yes, if you make changes on the web dashboard, it should be reflected in the app.

Regarding transferring your fitbit account to google, I have not and will not do that. I realize the day will come when that is mandatory. When that happens, if not sooner, I'll be done with fitbit. I de-googled about 5+ years ago when I realized I was their product. But that's just me.

Cheers

Best Answer

The joys of evolving technology…

as to this, I actually couldn’t change it from the dashboard. So I guess it’ll just be what it is, u less someone fixes it because it does act like glitchy type of error. 

Best Answer

What’s the point of having an app that doesn’t do anything?  It doesn’t even show the actual time of your workouts. Everything is rounded. Garmin or Apple might be where I’m headed. This is ridiculous. 

Best Answer

Ivehad the same problem and posted it in a different thread. It did seem to be acting like a glitch, but I also still can’t make it work. 

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I just updated to the newest app version (4.12 something) and the issue is NOT yet resolved. The same problem occurs. 

Best Answer
0 Votes