Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Categorizing workouts

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a Fitbit Alta. I go to crossfit and want it to recognize the whole hour long class as a workout, not just 15-20 min where my heart rate is high enough for it to auto-recognize it. I’ve categorized previous auto-recognized workouts as “crossfit” but it only seems to be available to choose in that instance, when it is auto recognized. When I start tracking a workout manually to log it, I am only given 3 options: walk, run or hike. Once the exercise is done, I have tried clicking on categorize exercise to change to to something different and there are multiple options there such as interval workout, swimming, etc but no crossfit option, even tho I’ve already created it in auto-recognized workouts. I’d like to be able to have crossfit be an option. Any ideas how to have this come up in the list of options for a manually tracked workout either when starting the workout or after the fact when changing the category? Thanks! Much appreciated! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi, @Jmkinsman! Unfortunately, with the Alta, there is no exercise tracking option on the tracker. If you really want an accurate image of the calorie burn/heart rate/etc during your workout, the Alta is really not the best tracker to be using. When you track a workout manually, you want to click the little stopwatch icon to "log previous," where you can make up your own workout of "Crossfit," since I don't believe it's on the list. The downside is that while you'll see the duration you set and your heart rate during that period, the calorie burn will be an estimate.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I realized after I wrote my question that I have the Alta HR. Does that affect your answer? I do have the ability to track an exercise in my app and it auto-recognizes them as well. Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, unfortunately, the whole Alta family doesn't have the ability to start workouts from it. I usually use the Blaze or Ionic to workout. The Charge 2 also has that feature.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry maybe I didn’t ask my question in the right way...I’m wanting to know how to choose a particular category from within the app, not from the device. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are two ways to track exercise from within the app. The first, which you mentioned in your first post, is with GPS, which is the run/walk/hike, where you bring your phone with you and it tracks your steps. The second is to track a workout after the fact, which is the one I explained in my second post, where you "log previous," with the stopwatch icon. That's the one where you can see heartrate and steps, but it will give you a calorie estimate for that period, rather than using your heartrate to calculate your calorie burn.

Best Answer
0 Votes