Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 and connected GPS showing incorrect distance.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everyone

I started using Fitbit charge 2 around 2 weeks ago and constantly it’s tracking wrong distance when I use “walk” option in exercise. My iPhone gps tracks distance correctly when using other apps like Runtastic but when I use Fitbit app distance is exaggerated. Also weak gps signals show when using Fitbit app while using other apps gps signals are full. 

Plz help anyone. I am feeling dejected at the purchase.

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Noor940, thanks for joining the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board! It's nice to see you too @Julia_G, thanks for all your help. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have brought this to my attention. If you have already edited your Stride Length as @Julia_G suggested, please keep in mind that all GPS devices, whether your phone or your tracker connected to your phone, require a direct path to these satellites in order to receive their radio transmissions. If the signal is being blocked—either because you're underground, near many tall buildings, or as a result of atmospheric effects—GPS will not work.

Once you select an exercise on your Charge 2, it will need to find the GPS signal first before it can start tracing a path. Check the following screens to know when your tracker has connected well:

GPSCharge2.PNG

Now, when you use only your phone and MobileRun to record your exercise, your phone is the one using its integrated GPS which means the path will be more accurate and it's harder for a phone to lose a GPS signal.

Finally, I would like to recommend to turn off the WiFi on your phone before starting a connected GPS exercise with your Charge 2. This has been helpful for many members facing the same situation as you. 

I hope this resolves your inquiry, if there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know, I'll be happy to help. Robot Happy 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi, @Noor940, when you use the "connected GPS" feature on the Charge 2 it will track your distance using your phone's GPS.  

If you don't use the "connected GPS" feature the Fitbit calculates distance using number if steps detected X stride length.  This will always be an estimate, because no one walks with exactly the same stride length.

However, you can improve the accuracy by calculating your stride length and entering it into your profile settings.  Instructions here.  If you do not enter a custom stride length Fitbit calculates it for you based on an average for someone of your gender and height.  You might not be average!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes
My watch is connected to phone gps. Still shows error

Tooba Noor
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Noor940, thanks for joining the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board! It's nice to see you too @Julia_G, thanks for all your help. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have brought this to my attention. If you have already edited your Stride Length as @Julia_G suggested, please keep in mind that all GPS devices, whether your phone or your tracker connected to your phone, require a direct path to these satellites in order to receive their radio transmissions. If the signal is being blocked—either because you're underground, near many tall buildings, or as a result of atmospheric effects—GPS will not work.

Once you select an exercise on your Charge 2, it will need to find the GPS signal first before it can start tracing a path. Check the following screens to know when your tracker has connected well:

GPSCharge2.PNG

Now, when you use only your phone and MobileRun to record your exercise, your phone is the one using its integrated GPS which means the path will be more accurate and it's harder for a phone to lose a GPS signal.

Finally, I would like to recommend to turn off the WiFi on your phone before starting a connected GPS exercise with your Charge 2. This has been helpful for many members facing the same situation as you. 

I hope this resolves your inquiry, if there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know, I'll be happy to help. Robot Happy 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. It worked

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Noor940, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply and let me know your issue has now been resolved, I'm very glad. Smiley Happy

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted!

Best Answer
0 Votes