Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 connected GPS inaccurate distance

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Because I'm using the latest firmware and fitbit ios version I decided to start a new thread as the threads on similar topics seem to be quite dated. I'm using version 2.38.1. I have made several comparisons between my fitbit app and my runkeepr app and the fitbit seems to be almost a half mile above runkeeper for runs between 4.5 - 5.25 miles. I have tried using connected GPS with my Charge 2 and the fitbit tracker alone using my phone's GPS. Both seem to be way off. I'm 90% sure it's the fitbit app that is wrong as I've been using runkeeper for years and I recently ran a 1/2 marathon and runkeeper was very comparable to the marathon's tracking.

I'd like to use one app for tracking my exercise but it seems kind of pointless of fitbit is going to be this inaccurate. Is fitbit aware of this, if so what can be done?

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @sosanista, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

Please keep in mind that all GPS devices, whether your phone or your tracker connected to your phone, require a direct path to these satellites in order to receive their radio transmissions. If the signal is being blocked—either because you're underground, near many tall buildings, or as a result of atmospheric effects—GPS will not work.  In this case I would like to suggest you to check the following:

• Bluetooth is enabled on your phone and your tracker is connected (paired) to the phone. To confirm, go into your phone's Bluetooth settings and make sure you see Alta HR on the list of devices.
  • You selected an exercise type from the Exercise menu that has a gear icon in the bottom left corner. The gear icon represents connected GPS.
  • GPS is turned on for the exercise type. Tap the gear icon and make sure the Use Phone GPS setting is on.
  • Your phone is within about 20 feet of your tracker.
  • The Fitbit app is open on your phone or running in the background. Do not force quit the Fitbit app.
  • Turn off Wi-Fi on your phone. 

After checking these requirements, please try to perform a GPS exercise once again. If you're still having difficulties, please let me know if you're seeing the alert in the app or in your tracker and reply to me with either a picture of your tracker displaying the message or a screenshot of the app displaying the message. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply as well. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @MarcoGFitbit. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. All of those settings were in place before I tracked my exercises. Also, using the app alone to track exercise with GPS (which was my last experiment to see if it was the charge 2 using connected gps was the issue), the app seemed to not have any problems (i.e. Connecting, reception, etc.) it's the way it measures the length of the run I take issue with as it's showing a near half mile difference on a less than 6 mile run to other popular apps. 

See results below.

Fitbit app alone results.Fitbit app alone results.

Runkeeper results.Runkeeper results.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @sosanista, thanks for taking the time to reply, I hope you're having a great day. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have sent to me screenshots from the Fitbit and Runkeeper apps, I'll make sure to pass this information to our team so they can check this further. Once I have more information to share with you, I'll update the thread accordingly. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, if there's anything else I can do to help, please feel free to reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes