Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display “always on” option.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit needs the option to keep the display on.

“Raise to wake” isn’t always responsive and is often slow, but mainly because people should have the option to always see the time on their watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

@BassTromBob -

Curious - are you prepared to charge your "watch" up daily?

A lot of people are complaining about having to charge their Alta HR (the only device whose board I follow) every 5 to 7 days.

I can only guess, but I would think the battery on my Alta HR would last a maximum of 2 days, if that.

Not only that, to me it isn't a watch. It is a fitness tracker that just happens to have the capability of displaying the time. I can even disable that, if I wanted, as it is an option not a requirement.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Everyone has got used to the idea of charging their phones every night while they sleep, so putting their watch on charge over night isn’t going to be any different.

Everyone I’ve spoke to who has a Fitbit refers to them as a smart watch with fitness tracker built in - as each face displays the time.

(Even Google has Fitbit 1st on the list of “types of smart watches”)

But surely, like it is with all phones, the option of keeping the display on should also be there to give the user a choice?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BassTromBob -

If you find a suggestion for this on the Suggestion Board or create one yourself, post the suggestion name here and I will vote for it.

I still sort of disagree, if it weren't for the fact that it is your device and yours to use as you like.

Just as my device is to use as I wish - and I wish to have my heart rate monitored as I sleep and my Alta HR can't do that while being charged up each night.

But if it is an option, then you win and it isn't a loss to me. Which pretty much makes it a win-win.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Forgive my ignorance, but why do you want to monitor your heart rate while you sleep?  It will still beat whether you wear it or not.  And if it doesn't - well, you won't notice it isn't beating, or be that bothered if your Fitbit is on charge or not.

Also, why would you want to wear a watch when you go to sleep?  Not that they should need to point out the obvious, but Fitbit even say to give your wrist a rest.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BassTromBob -

No problem. Glad to answer. And your comment about not noticing my heart no beating reminds me of what my Cardiac Surgeon said during the initial consult for my ICD. "If your heart goes into severe Afib, you will pass out before you hit the center divider with your car, so who cares." Kind of strong, but he had been in error when thinking I didn't realize the need for the device.

Two reasons:

1. Heart rate during sleep is a major component of the Resting Heart Rate calculation.
  2. Sleep charts are kind of interesting and help me understand why I either feel great or a little "off". I don't look at them every day, but on those days I want to I can't go back in time in my "Way-back Machine" and put the device on.

sleep.JPG

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BassTromBob Garmin has just released a new model with always-on customizable color display and a year of battery life, the Vivofit 4. If it also has a pocket clip like the Vivofit 3, I would buy this before any current Fitbit model.

Owner of 3 dead Zips and 2 dead Ones. Current FItbits: One and Flex 2. iPhone 8, latest ios
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrMarv, thank you for clearing that up, and wow, that's so much deeper than I could have imagined haha.  I guess I'm just content with finally having a watch that let's me know of any notifications as well as showing me the time, without spending £££ on an iWatch.

Best Answer
0 Votes