Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance and map showing incorrectly.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After a week off with a bad cold I went for one of my normal walks today. I know how far it is and have it in my history over 20 times. It is 4 miles almost exactly. Today it came up as 5.2 and the map showed me staggering like a drunk. It also said I was going much faster than I was. My wristband had the steps just right but the app was way off. First time in over a year that I've used it has it done anything like this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello @BILLW1953, I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around. Smiley Happy

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Which tracker are you currently using? Are you using your tracker with connected or integrated GPS or are you using MobileRun in the app? If this is the case, I would like to suggest you to go to your phone Settings > Fitbit and make sure Location is set to Always or While using the app, then restart your phone and open the Fitbit app again. 

Make sure to start the exercise on your phone (MobileRun) outside to prevent buildings or tress to interfere with the GPS signal and turn off WiFi, this will prevent your phone from trying to locate a WiFi signal to connect, if your phone is constantly trying to connect to a WiFi signal, this might impact on the GPS signal and resulting map after the exercise has been completed.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @BILLW1953, I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around. Smiley Happy

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Which tracker are you currently using? Are you using your tracker with connected or integrated GPS or are you using MobileRun in the app? If this is the case, I would like to suggest you to go to your phone Settings > Fitbit and make sure Location is set to Always or While using the app, then restart your phone and open the Fitbit app again. 

Make sure to start the exercise on your phone (MobileRun) outside to prevent buildings or tress to interfere with the GPS signal and turn off WiFi, this will prevent your phone from trying to locate a WiFi signal to connect, if your phone is constantly trying to connect to a WiFi signal, this might impact on the GPS signal and resulting map after the exercise has been completed.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. 

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply. Your suggestion to turn off the WiFi was the only thing that had any impact and it did indeed solve the problem. Thanks again.

While most people would just let it go and be happy that they had a solution I cannot help wondering why this started so suddenly. I have been walking in this area for nearly six years and in most cases I do not need a tracker to have a good idea (approximately) of my distance.  I will try and isolate the culprit when time permits. It is great to have a simple workaround. 

Thanks again,

Bill W

Moderator Edit: Format. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate you have come back and let me know your issue has now been resolved with the instructions I provided. I'm really glad. 

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted!

Best Answer
0 Votes