Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance discrepancy in the Fitbit app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, I am currently doing a challenge which to meet a distance goal. I have measured the distance I have been walking (200m) to determine that I needed to do 5 laps of this to get to 1km. Whilst doing my walk I am using the exercise function which uses GPS to monitor my progress. Sure enough the GPS is exact and goes up 200m each time I complete a lap. Once my workout is done I can see in the app that I did 1.09km. When I look at the overall distance for the day however it shows I have only done 0.48km. I have read that the app combines my workout data with other data to get this 'total' distance. Is there a way I can fix this ? I dont see how I can have two completely different distances in the app. 

As mentioned the data from my fitbit is being used in this challenge Im doing so I feel like Im being a bit cheated here as the overall distance in the app is short changing me. Worst comes to worst I can log the distance manually, but is there any other way around this ?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Karlyla.

Thank you for the information provided.

When you track an activity with GPS, the distance will be calculated based on the GPS data only. If you track an activity without GPS, your distance will be calculated by multiplying your steps by your Stride Length (Your stride length is determined by your height and sex). For more information, please visit this article and open the menu "How does my Fitbit device calculate distance traveled?".

In this case, I would recommend checking your activities in the online Dashboard to see if your distance is different. Please click here.

If you have any question, please let us know.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EdsonFitbit 

What you write "When you track an activity with GPS, the distance will be calculated based on the GPS data only" is actually not correct as you can quickly verify with a short walk, even better with a run.

Alternatively you might want to drive your car while pretending to run, you will see that after several miles the Fitbit watch would have measured only few meters, those tied with false steps 

Unfortunately the material your reference doesn't provide reliable information as many users tried too explain since the release of ionic.

The very same post by @Karlyla proves it.

Best Answer
0 Votes