Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance on track exercise less than should be

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My husband and I walk together. He uses a gps watch and I use the track exercise on my fitbit app (ios). I am always .06 miles behind. We start our trackers at the same time and walk together. I figured it was something with his watch. Yesterday, I walked with my son who also has a fitbit. We started our track exercise option on our fitbit app (both ios iphones) and I was always about .06 behind him in distance on the app even though we walked together the whole time.

Any suggestions how to remedy this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Welcome to the forums @kwinIt's great to know you and your family are on a Fitness path, so I'd like to clear out any questions regarding accuracy within your trackers. Smiley Happy

Step variation within wrist based trackers can be determined by a number of factors, for example:

1. The stride length input on both of your Fitbit Profiles, if it's not added manually, it will use a default setting based on your height and gender. Here's how to measure it.
  2. Your hand movements, there might be cases where your hands are moving and your body isn't; like cooking or playing the drums. You can get more details about your Charge HR accuracy here.
  3. The hand used to wear your Charge HR, you can change the Dominant Hand setting on the Device Settings page (http://www.fitbit.com/settings/device), which can be found under the gear icon in the upper right corner of your Dashboard. Changing this setting to "Dominant" will decrease sensitivity of step counting and should reduce over counting of steps when your body is not moving.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions Cat Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The issue isn't with the number of steps. It's distance on the track fitness/gps on our apps. We start and stop at the same point. According to the app, he walked farther than I did. There seems to be an issue with my gps calculating correctly. Any suggestions how to remedy that?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your prompt response @kwin!

The GPS signal from your Fitbit walk may be affected by the position of the receiving antenna. There are plenty of members who recommend to store the phone in an outside pocket of a backpack or jacket pocket or the back pocket on a cycling jersey. If you see your tracked distance through GPS through a path you did not walk through it happens sometimes  when the GPS did not get a correct measurement from one or more satellites.

Also, step and distance accuracy can be affected by tthe stride length input on your Fitbit Profile, if it's not added manually, it will use a default setting based on your height and gender. Here's how to measure it.

Last but not least, I recommend to log the same path without GPS, just with your tracker's information; then compare it with your GPS walks.

Let me know if you have any questions! Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes