Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a Fitbit exercise session only include calories burned or adds in BMR Calories?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey so I burn according to my fitbit 48 calories per hour at rest, when i start an exercise with my fitbit, lets say i take a 1 hour walk and then press Finish, the summary shows i burned 200 calories, but is that only calories burned from my walk or was that including 48 calories burned as my basal metabolic rate?

Hope that makes sense?

thanks x

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@JohnnyRow - Duh! Great way to check it out! Without working out!

@Zaki03 - Now that my Senior Moment is over - the results of my test. If nothing else, you have two tests to support that exercise calorie burns include BMR.

At 2:32 pm PDT, I was at 1,652 calories. After taking the first screenshot of my apps Today screen, I immediately started a Treadmill exercise on my Versa 2.

At 3:32 - at exactly one-hour "on the clock", I stopped the treadmill exercise and immediately took a second snapshot of the Today screen.

The calorie differences between those two screenshots is 410 calories while the exercise record states 411. I believe the one calorie difference may be because I started the exercise approximately 10 seconds after the Today screen updated at the "top of the minute" - meaning it includes 10 seconds of "BMR only" burn. If I had started at exactly 2:32, the numbers would probably match. Or, it is a very small rounding difference.

The images below support the prose, above. 

IMG_0348.pngIMG_0349.pngIMG_0350.png

Good luck - and welcome to the boards.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

@Zaki03 

Should include BMR. You can easily verify that by taking note of calories burn in the app at the start and end of the exercise. The difference should match the exercise record - or at least really close.

I'm about ready to hit the treadmill - I'll let you know what I come up with.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

I tested that once my saying I was going for a walk, then sitting. or maybe I was lying down, still for 10 minutes, then ending the walk.  For the workout, it said I was burning at my BMR.  If BMR was not included, I would have expected it to be close to zero.  So I concluded the workout includes BMR calories.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

@JohnnyRow - Duh! Great way to check it out! Without working out!

@Zaki03 - Now that my Senior Moment is over - the results of my test. If nothing else, you have two tests to support that exercise calorie burns include BMR.

At 2:32 pm PDT, I was at 1,652 calories. After taking the first screenshot of my apps Today screen, I immediately started a Treadmill exercise on my Versa 2.

At 3:32 - at exactly one-hour "on the clock", I stopped the treadmill exercise and immediately took a second snapshot of the Today screen.

The calorie differences between those two screenshots is 410 calories while the exercise record states 411. I believe the one calorie difference may be because I started the exercise approximately 10 seconds after the Today screen updated at the "top of the minute" - meaning it includes 10 seconds of "BMR only" burn. If I had started at exactly 2:32, the numbers would probably match. Or, it is a very small rounding difference.

The images below support the prose, above. 

IMG_0348.pngIMG_0349.pngIMG_0350.png

Good luck - and welcome to the boards.

Best Answer

Thank you so much! 

Best Answer
0 Votes