Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elevation Gain on the iOS app is Wrong

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The elevation gain calculation on the iOS app has been incorrect since the v4.00 app release. I start my walks using the exercise app on my Charge4. If I start the exercise on the iOS app, I don't get any elevation data displayed, although the elevation data is known (it's included in the TCX export).

Anyway, the elevation gain is consistently off by a factor of 3.281 on the iOS app.

Also, the graph scaling on the iOS app is ridiculous. The graphs on the pre-google iOS app were similar to the graphs currently on the web dashboard. Setting the y-axis range from 1400' to 1500' conveys much more than setting the range from 0' to 1500'.

Edit (03/02/2024): I just realized that 3.281 happens to be the number of feet in 1 meter. So it appears that the app is multiplying the number of meters by 3.281 twice. Example: 76.2 m x 3.281 = 250 ft; 250 ft x 3.281 = 820 ft.

$fitbit20a.jpg

$fitbit20b.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

I just realized that 3.281 happens to be the number of feet in 1 meter. So it appears that the app is multiplying the number of meters by 3.281 twice. Example: 76.2 m x 3.281 = 250 ft; 250 ft x 3.281 = 820 ft.

Edit: I have confirmed the error is in the meters to feet conversion within the iOS app. The two screenshots below are from the same walk taken on Feb 20. The 1st is with the length unit set to Centimeters, Kilometers and the 2nd is with the length unit set to Feet, Miles.

$fitbit22.jpg

cc: @LizzyFitbit @JuanFitbit 

Best Answer
0 Votes