Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message: Failed to sync device

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

iPhone 7

Fitbit Charge 3

Software up to date

App up to date

Thus far I’ve tried:

Turning Bluetooth off and on

Deleting and reinstalling Fitbit app

Hard reset of iPhone

When I sync my Charge 3 I get a “failed to sync device” error. However all data syncs except for active minutes. 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello and welcome to the Fitbit Community @dbeman 

Im sorry to see your having syncing issues. Let’s  try a few things to see if that doesn’t get you back up and running again:

Let’s try restarting your Fitbit Charge 3. Heres how:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186
If your still experiencing issues please try these troubleshooting steps. I understand you have tried several troubleshooting steps already but maybe some may need to be repeated after restarting your Charge 3.

If your still experiencing issues try turning your Bluetooth off then back on again.

If Restarting and toggling the Bluetooth doesn’t help I would suggest force shut the App and restart. Here’s how:

Turn off your Bluetooth 

log out of the Fitbit App

completely shut down your device, wait 1-2 mins then restart your device 

once your device fully loads enable your Bluetooth again 

now log back into your Fitbit App as you normally would with your email address and password 

now sync your device 

please check your iOS settings if this problem persist and try this:

1. Open your phone's settings.
  2. Scroll down, tap Fitbit > Toggle Location to "Always".
  3. Ensure toggles next to Bluetooth and Background App Refresh are turned ON.

Lastly If your still experiencing an issue try this: please go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and remove the tracker. In the list of Bluetooth devices you'll see the Charge 3 and next to it, this symbol "!". Hit the symbol and it will take you to the next step, once you're there select the option that says "Forget this device" or "Unpair". Once you've made sure about that, go back to the Fitbit app, tap your profile picture then scroll down and select "Set up a Device". This should start the setup process for your device. Just follow the instructions as they come.

If the issue is not solved after the above steps, please take a look at the help articles: Why can't I set up my Fitbit device? or  Why won't my Fitbit device sync?

😉 please let me know if this resolves your issue. If it does indeed resolve your issue could you please tap “choose as best answer” box just under my post? Doing so really helps other individuals who come to this community looking for answers to questions similar to your own. I’d really appreciate it!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Hello and welcome to the Fitbit Community @dbeman 

Im sorry to see your having syncing issues. Let’s  try a few things to see if that doesn’t get you back up and running again:

Let’s try restarting your Fitbit Charge 3. Heres how:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186
If your still experiencing issues please try these troubleshooting steps. I understand you have tried several troubleshooting steps already but maybe some may need to be repeated after restarting your Charge 3.

If your still experiencing issues try turning your Bluetooth off then back on again.

If Restarting and toggling the Bluetooth doesn’t help I would suggest force shut the App and restart. Here’s how:

Turn off your Bluetooth 

log out of the Fitbit App

completely shut down your device, wait 1-2 mins then restart your device 

once your device fully loads enable your Bluetooth again 

now log back into your Fitbit App as you normally would with your email address and password 

now sync your device 

please check your iOS settings if this problem persist and try this:

1. Open your phone's settings.
  2. Scroll down, tap Fitbit > Toggle Location to "Always".
  3. Ensure toggles next to Bluetooth and Background App Refresh are turned ON.

Lastly If your still experiencing an issue try this: please go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and remove the tracker. In the list of Bluetooth devices you'll see the Charge 3 and next to it, this symbol "!". Hit the symbol and it will take you to the next step, once you're there select the option that says "Forget this device" or "Unpair". Once you've made sure about that, go back to the Fitbit app, tap your profile picture then scroll down and select "Set up a Device". This should start the setup process for your device. Just follow the instructions as they come.

If the issue is not solved after the above steps, please take a look at the help articles: Why can't I set up my Fitbit device? or  Why won't my Fitbit device sync?

😉 please let me know if this resolves your issue. If it does indeed resolve your issue could you please tap “choose as best answer” box just under my post? Doing so really helps other individuals who come to this community looking for answers to questions similar to your own. I’d really appreciate it!

Best Answer

I’m happy your up and running again @dbeman! Happy Stepping! 😃

Best Answer
Oddly, I encountered this problem (data actually is being sync’d, but getting the “failed to sync device” msg...), after nearly 18 mths of *nearly* flawless tracker operation... and tried everything else (Bluetooth, rePaired, delete and reinstall app..), first. It was the “Reboot Device” step that resolves my getting this message ... I’m wondering if this is a precursor to early tracker device failure... or perhaps one/more of the discrete components ...
Mark L. Torrey
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @MarkInCentralTx  its good to run into you again. 
No, I assure you that your not receiving a precursor hidden message. Yesterday there was a large scale Fitbit issue that effected everyone. It included syncing issues, login issues etc. Today I’m also experiencing “failed to sync” message on my “Today” page on the Fitbit App but it appears as if it’s still actually syncing but the message is faulty at best. I know they are still working on a few issues from yesterday still but otherwise it’s okay. 
😉 I think you Fitbit will live another day

Best Answer

I have tried all of the above suggestions, including completely deleting the app and reinstalling, and nothing is working. Still getting the 'failed to sync device' and red line shooting across the top. Can someone please advise how to correct this issue? 

Best Answer

Hello and welcome to the Fitbit Community @sschepis 

I’m sorry you’re experiencing syncing issues. Can you please let me know which Fitbit Tracker you have as well as which iOS device (model and current version) you are using? Knowing this information helps me assist you better. 

😃 Keep me posted

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi MegaBite - 

I have the Fitbit Charge 3 and have an iPhone X, with iOS 13.3. It's been doing this for a week or so now, probably since the software update. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello again @sschepis 

I am assuming that you mean a Fitbit Charge 3. 😃 The great news is that your iOS Device (iPhone X) is compatible with the Fitbit App.  I did notice you have been a Fitbit user for sometime now. Is your Charge 3 a new replacement Fitbit or the same one you have been using for sometime now? I ask because sometimes individuals replace their Fitbit but fail to remove and unpair their previous Fitbit. Failing to do that can cause issues.
Have you tried all the troubleshooting steps I posted earlier in this thread? If you have and your still failing to sync try logging out of your Fitbit App then remove all the devices connected to your Bluetooth currently (you can always add them back later) restart your iOS device then log back into the Fitbit App. Hopefully this will prompt the Fitbit App to request to pair again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

MegaBite - I've been using the FB Charge 3 for sometime now, longer than a year.  Prior to that I had a FB Charge 2, which is now retired.  

Yes, I tried all the aforementioned suggestions/steps - to no avail. I've tried everything and spent many hours researching how to fix it but still nothing.  

I haven't changed or touched anything on the tracker or done anything to cause this to happen. This is FitBit's issue and they really should step up to fix it. 

Best Answer

Hello again @sschepis 

I’m sure this has to be tremendously frustrating for you. I guess my only suggestion would be to call Fitbit Customer Service. Here is how to contact them:https://help.fitbit.com/?l=en_US&cu=1&fs=ContactUs

I’m so sorry I couldn’t help more. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

MegaBite, thanks for trying to help and for the link. Cheers! 

Best Answer

5A3D2038-5290-4953-848D-A02717B89667.png

Same here and I’m getting the message every day. So I don’t find it convenient to have to reset my Bluetooth, uninstall  and reinstall the app, as well as reset my phone every freaking day

Best Answer

The same thing happening to me. Now I’ve turned my silent alarms off because I took a day off work and they won’t turn back on because inspire won’t sync. Have tried all above recommendations, no luck. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I began to see a repeat of these sync/Bluetooth connectivity/“failed to sync...” message again in early February. I posted a review on the App Store Fitbit page, including updates... indicating 9 consecutive days of this problem, which required multiple-resets per day ... I stressed in the updates (and based on my decades of experience in hardware and software design...), that the issues were clearly not device of phone related problems but something within the server or app coding... 

After a few back-n-forth sessions, Fitbit must’ve identifies the problem, and did a quick over the air fix, and I’ve not had to perform the daily reset ritual for nearly 14 days. The latest update (3.15.1) must contain the same patch as my issue have yet to return. Just an FYI for y’all ... I seem to be running again with Charge 3 and iPhone6S ...

Of course, now that I’ve said something (in writing ... 😆) ....

Best to y’all !!

Mark L. Torrey
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I had to go into phone app permissions and allow access to storage for the fitbit App. That worked. I guess there is a small amount of installation storage thar gets used up.

Best Answer
0 Votes