Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercise GPS inaccurate by over .5 mile

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Been using the built in exercise tracking part of the app for awhile now. I used to use RunKeeper to track my runs, but the less things I have to keep track of the better. Would be nice to get a heart rate read out when the cues come up, but that's a different matter 😄

I've noticed over the last few weeks that the reported mileages for runs is becoming increasing inaccurate by sometimes +/-.5 mile. I've gone so far as to biking a run path, as well as driving my car, and using the online map my run tools to pinpoint how far my routes are. It's weird that when I biked the path, twice using the Fitbit in "bike" mode, it accurately reports the mileage.. 

I've turned WIFI off. Deleted the app and reinstalled. Reset my Charge 2, no change.  Phone goes in a bellyband. Doesn't matter if I start the run from the Charge or from the app. Leaving the screen up the entire time or not.

Is there some bug in the GPS portion of the app?

Best Answer
0 Votes
17 REPLIES 17

Hello @Slvrwrx, I hope you're having a great day, it's nice to see you around! Smiley Happy

This seems like a very odd situation. However, if you haven't already done so, I would like to recommend to please check the following three GPS-related settings on your iOS device:

1. Make sure your device can track your activity when you're out of wi-fi range. To do so, tap Settings > Cellular and make sure Cellular Data is on.
2. Make sure the app can track GPS when your device is locked. To do so, tap Settings > General > Background App Refresh and make sure it's on for both the phone and Fitbit specifically.
3. Make sure your device is able to identify your location. To do so, tap Settings > Privacy > Location Services and make sure it's on for both the phone and Fitbit specifically.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. Smiley Wink

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

All of that is enabled. 

Run on Wednesday. Same route that's been in discussion. Claims 2.71 miles starting the run from app.

Thursday same route. RunKeeper over reported by .17, but when I hit the "correct gps", distance was fine. I started the Fitbit run from the Charge and it reported 1.81 miles. GPS lines look pretty good on these newer ones. IE they follow the roads I run on. 

Is it possible the phone being horizontal is causing the issue? I can run next time with it in an ArmBand

Best Answer
0 Votes

So today I went for the same run. Left the wifi off. Started the run after about 2 minutes of being outside and GPS showing green. Only difference today was I put the phone in my armband and it was in the vertical position the entire time. Run was accurately recorded today. Maybe off .10 mile, but not +/- 1/2 mile.

I will run the same route again tomorrow with in the armband to check..

Any thoughts as to why orientation would be messing with the GPS?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Slvrwrx, thanks for taking the time to reply, I hope you're doing well. Smiley Happy

Thanks for letting me know about the test you performed with your phone, it seem odd that the position allowed it to track more accurately your run. Please keep me informed once you finished your next test so I can forward the information to our team. Additionally, I would like to suggest you to update the Fitbit app as we have just released a new version, this might also help with the accuracy. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding. In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I saw that it updated yesterday. Maybe it was the update. I'll know in a few hours

Best Answer
0 Votes

Because of the update, I ran it back with the bellyband today. Off by .30 😕 Will try arm band again Monday

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Slvrwrx, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy 

It still seems very odd that the GPS works differently between bands, however I'll appreciate if you can reply to me once you've tried your armband to see if you're still having trouble with this situation. 

Thanks for all your patience, I'll be waiting for your reply. Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ran today with it in arm band so phone was vertical or close to vertical entire time. 2.24 miles. Spot on. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @Slvrwrx, once again, I appreciate you have taken the time to reply to me. 

It's possible that your phone antenna has a better reception when placed vertically, which is why the GPS reading is more accurate than when you're placing the phone on your bellyband. Nevertheless, I'm glad that you're getting an accurate distance when you're wearing your phone in your arm. 

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MarcoGFitbit

^ If that were the case, then run keeper would be off as well.  Run keeper is off from time to time (maybe .20 at the MOST), but Fitbit app is off all the time when position horizontally. 

It's an iPhone 7 btw..

Best Answer
0 Votes

When for a 1 mile confirmed run. Fitbit gps started from device reports .66 miles. Phone was vertical in my front pocket at all times today. Something is up with your app

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have noticed issues with this, since very early this year.  I walk around 5.5 miles each morning, I currently use a Blaze (but that may change, my second replacement is on the way due to a step counting issue) and have distance issues, whether the app tracks it (long by around .5 miles) or the Blaze tracks it (short by around a mile).

I always have my phone in my back pocket.

Best Answer

Going to check my route this week as I see there was a firmware update, but it's still been off.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This appears to be an app issue, not a device firmware issue.  While the Blaze appears to have an issue, other trackers appear to work correctly.

Best Answer

I'd agree. I'm just making sure I document as much as possible for any changes that have occurred. 

Best Answer

I'm having the same issue. It tracks at least 1 mile different in every 6. So frustrating. 

Best Answer

That sounds about right, I see anywhere from .5 to ,75 in my 5,5 mile walks.

Best Answer
0 Votes