Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake accounts

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I cannot believe how many fake accounts are on the Fitbit app.

There as got to be a better way of reporting theses accounts!

There should be a group where we can post the accounts for all to see

Fitbit this issue does need sorting .

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SunsetRunner - I’m not sure exactly what you are referring to. Where are you seeing these “fake accounts?”  And why do you think they are fake? If you find a posting that violates the Community Guidelines, you can bring it to the moderator’s attention by tapping Flag Post at the left of the box, under the poster’s name. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

@SunsetRunner - I’m not sure exactly what you are referring to. Where are you seeing these “fake accounts?”  And why do you think they are fake? If you find a posting that violates the Community Guidelines, you can bring it to the moderator’s attention by tapping Flag Post at the left of the box, under the poster’s name. 

Best Answer

I agree there are so many fake accounts on fitbit. I'm fully aware I can decline the requests and report the profile, however surely fitbit have a responsibility to their users to be more proactive with security to prevent these accounts. I'm sick and tired of an average of 10 friend requests everyday from the same recycled profile pictures sourced from the Internet using screenshots of genuine users goal achievements in the hope of snaring someone in a romance/financial scam or to be honest even worse with the amount of younger users there is a massive risk of grooming, child sexual exploitation or paedophilia happening. I have totally lost faith that fitbit will ever develop security measures to weed out these lowlifes from what I've read this has been around for a long time, yes we are all responsible for our online activities but it would be more reassuring to know that fitbit will actually be proactive and do something too. 

Best Answer

Received my first "friend" request today.  "DellaB" "want chat with a guy because I'm very lonely😔 Write me here please".  Joined March 2020, no photo, no data, nothing.  Has a link to something starting with the Chaucerian term for fornication, so of course I'm having nothing to do with it.

I rejected the friend request, and would have reported this clear phishing attempt, but FitBit has no clear instructions on how to notify of a phishing attempt.

Previous FitBit suggestions on how to block or report that account are non-existent on that profile page.  Rather indicates to me that FitBit is not taking any responsibility for its system security or the inherit threats to its actual users.

To say I am seriously disappointed in FitBit's attitude toward network security is a gross understatement.

Best Answer

@Regan9666 - When the friend request come in, rather than reject it, tap the three dots at the top, right. Then select Block from the pull down list. This person will not longer be able to contact you. 

If you encounter a post that you believe is in violation of Community Guidelines, you have the option to tap the three dots at the top, right and select Report This Post. A discussion box will appear. You can explain the violation there. 

Best Answer

Carol-B, that's a very convoluted process, which assumes the typical user here knows to go click on the the three dots before rejecting a request.  Instead of accept or reject, which is a user's automatic response, that window should also have "report this post" right there, next to accept or reject.

Your web designers did not consider that not every user here knows where to look or what to do.  Furthermore, a user should have more options than to follow a linear process that stops certain actions if not followed in precise order (which was never fully explained, either).  Here's what should happen:

1.  User receives questionable message.

2.  User can choose to reject, report AND block simultaneously.

Giving us after the fact "should haves" is not a good business practice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Regan9666 - Just so you know, I do not work for Fitbit. Like others here, I’m another user who tries to answer questions. In order to present your idea to Fitbit, please check out the Feature Request Forum. Here, you can vote for posted suggestions similar to yours, or post your own specific idea. This forum is where Fitbit developers gage interest in ideas. Tap here to check it out.  

Best Answer