Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaining too many steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've noticed this happening from time to time over the last 2 to 3 weeks.  

This is what happend.  I woke up got ready for a jog.  Started the exercise on my Blaze and did not fire up the app on the phone.  Got done and was at 4250ish steps.  Synced the app and steps jumped to 8300ish, like it did a X2 on my steps.  

This is happening more and more it seems.  It may not double the amount of steps but sometimes throughout the day the number that is on my Blaze is not the number that ends up being in the app.  

My Blaze is version 17.8.401.3 and the app is whatever the latest update is.  I can't find a version number in this.  

Curious if this happens to anyone else.   

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

@Sophie357 Thanks for reaching out to the Community for answers, I'm glad to see you here.  Do you have more than one device or Mobile Track syncing simultaneously? We've seen some users report on discrepancies when syncing to multiple devices. If so, you may want to try removing one device and see if that helps. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

Nope, just my Blaze.  This morning I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and things are no better.  I was at 6425 steps, just synced and I'm at 5846.  

After finding others with the same type issues I'm of the mind that it is a software glitch.  Right now I'm regretting not getting the Garmin.  I'm getting pretty upset with this Blaze.  Seems a lot of money to spend on a watch.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Sophie357 Thanks for confirming. In order to view what you are seeing, would you be able to send a screenshot of your Blaze before syncing, then after? It would greatly help to see what you are experiencing.  

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

I have a working theory.  Something in the code doesn't like timezone changes.  I live in the eastern time zone and I work in the central time zone.  So sometime in the morning I'll sync to be on right time and in the evening when I get home I'll sync to be in the correct time zone.  This is when the steps go to rubbish.  

I tested this yesterday.  I didn't sync while at work and waited until I got home.  No issue.  Last week I had to travel to Colorado and it did the same thing.  So I know that this is happening when I cross timezones and sync, I don't recall this happening on weekends when I'm in eastern time.  But we will find out.  I'll work on screen shots.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

So check it.  Left home, eastern time, got to work, central time.  I synced and pow.  Sitting at my desk.Sitting at my desk.BAM!!!BAM!!!IMG_1130.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Sophie357 thanks for your screenshots. This is odd. The next time you sync when you in the Central zone can you verify that it's the central time zone in your setting? I see the clock updated, but just to be certain. You mentioned this happened when running sometimes, is there a timezone switch then? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Sophie357 thanks for your screenshots. This is odd. The next time you sync when you in the Central zone can you verify that it's the central time zone in your setting? I see the clock updated, but just to be certain. You mentioned this happened when running sometimes, is there a timezone switch then? 

Best Answer

I synced it about an hour after I posted the pics.  Steps were off again.  I just did it and it was correct.  Which, if I recall correctly, that is what it takes for it straighten itself out.  So when I go home tonight I'll sync, it will be messed up twice and then fine.  

I'm finding no "time zone switch"  The phone pulls time from the cell towers.  When I went from Eastern to Mountain time it did this also.  Seems the apps is got some issue with timestamps I'm thinking.  Not sure if this is Blaze specific, the iOS or what.

I will say, I work in IT, 20+ years now, as level III support so I like to think I'm better than most at troubleshooting.  It would be interesting to see how many Blaze users are crossing time zones and are they having the same issue.  I did some searching and I found others where having issues much like mine but no other Blaze but other models were in play.  

And in my opinion, people with more than one device trying to do the same thing and or alternating between them are just asking for a headache.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Things worked as they should over the weekend.  I guess I just cant sync when I go to work.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Sophie357 Thanks for the follow-up posts. I'm not aware of a situation like this currently, but If the timezone switch is affecting the step count, you can go into your advanced settings on the app and uncheck the 'Set Automatically' button, but your clock won't update when you get to work. I'll keep an eye out for this on the boards and will circle back if I find more information. 

Best Answer

I'll check this out after I get home, I'm having too good a step day today to have a foul up.  Thanks for the info.  Then I can test that to see if that makes a difference.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

My sister in law made a trip today to the city where I work, which is in the Central time zone, she too lives in the Eastern time zone.  She also has a Blaze.  She just sent me a text and told me that her Blaze added 1400 steps when she synced it after having arrived in the Central time zone.  

I really don't think I'm a one off at this point.  There is a problem and it may only be limited to the Blaze.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still does it.  Was at 360 steps and time was eastern.  I work in central time and synced, Steps went to 519 after sync.  Just fyi.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

There was an update a couple weeks ago.  Still not fixed.  I crossed from eastern to central time and did a sync at my desk.  I gained 2 steps.  I was hopeful that maybe it was just hand movement.

On the way home, going central to eastern, I synced.  I gained over 1200 steps.  Just FYI.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Another update, it added 100 when I synced.  Time change is EST to CST.  Not sure why I keep updating this thread.  I'd really like this issue to be resolved, I guess that is why.  

Best Answer
0 Votes