Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Error 18 when trying to update tracker

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am receiving this error message when I try to update my Charge: "Fbbluetooth Error Domain 18". My Charge is currently operating on 2.41 within  iOS 11. Please advise!

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject. + Format

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

Hello @Top1, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

This seems like a very odd situation, however I would like to suggest you the following:

• Force-close the Fitbit app by double tap the home button on your phone, then swipe up the app. 
  • Log out from the app, restart your phone and log back in. 

I hope this can be helpful, if you're still getting the same error, please reply to me with a screenshot of what you're able to see in the app so I can check this further. 

If there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply as well. Smiley Wink

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the response. But after following your directions the error code is still there. The screen of my fit bit has a half bar with a “!” In the middle. Please advise. My work week hustle is hurting!!

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Top1, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

Judging by what you're mentioning, it seems your Charge got stuck during a firmware update. In that case I would like to suggest you the following:

1. Try to restart your Charge and leave it plugged in and charging. 
  2. Attempt to start the firmware update once again in the app. If this doesn't seem to work:
  3. Set up your tracker as a new device to reset the connection between the tracker and the phone:
    • Open the Fitbit app and tap on the Account symbol at the top right corner of the screen, then tap on "Set up a New Device"
    • Choose your tracker and follow the onscreen instructions to continue
    • When the app asks you to replace your current tracker, please replace it and continue with the process.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately this didn’t work. I held the button in as directed with a vibration at the 10 second mark only. The screen never change from the half bar, and the fit bit symbol never appeared. Please advise.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Top1, I hope you're having a great day, thanks for replying and trying the troubleshooting steps I provided you earlier.

At this moment, please try to perform a factory reset on your Charge before trying to update or sync it again. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try a couple of times and let me know the outcome! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your continued support. However, the button combination involved in a factory reset doesn’t seem to work. It hasn’t responded the way the directions illustrate. Please advise 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Top1, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

I was wondering, do you currently have a Charge or a Charge 2 tracker? As the factory reset instructions only work for the Charge, not the Charge 2. 

If you have a Charge 2, and you're still getting the error message, please restart it, then leave it plugged in and charging and try to set it up as a new device, this will prompt the update to start once it has been set up. Don't worry, none of the information already stored in your account will be deleted. 

To set up your tracker as a new device:

1. Go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and check if your tracker is on the list of paired devices. If it is, tap on it and select Forget this Device.
  2. Open the Fitbit app and tap on the Account symbol at the top right corner of the screen, then tap on "Set up a New Device"
  3. Choose your tracker and follow the onscreen instructions to continue
  4. When the app asks you to replace your current tracker, please replace it and continue with the process.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

iOS 11.0.3 and I’m still getting the same error message. Help. Please. I’m trying to add a photo of the screen shot but can’t  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Melanee5, thanks for joining the conversation, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

If you're still getting an error message when trying to update your tracker and you have already tried the steps described above, please try the following:

1. Force-close the Fitbit app by double tapping the home button on your phone, then swipe up the app. 
  2. Turn off the WiFi on your phone by going to Settings > WiFi. 
  3. Open the Fitbit app and try to start the update using your mobile data. 
  4. Once the update starts, turn on WiFi once again. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and let me know the outcome. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried all the suggestions and I also still have a bar with an exclamation point in the center . How to fix this

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @06, thanks for joining the conversation, it's a pleasure for me to welcome you to the Fitbit Community. Smiley Happy

Judging by the situation you're describing, it seems your tracker got stuck during a firmware update. At this moment I would like to suggest you to try to set up your tracker as a new device in your account to force the update to finish. 

To set up your tracker as a new device:

1. Go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and check if your tracker is on the list of paired devices. If it is, tap on it and select Forget this Device.
  2. Open the Fitbit app and tap on the Account symbol at the top right corner of the screen, then tap on "Set up a New Device"
  3. Choose your tracker and follow the onscreen instructions to continue
  4. When the app asks you to replace your current tracker, please replace it and continue with the process.

If the bar does not disappear, please perform a Factory Reset on your tracker and try to set it up as a new device once again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I tried that when I try to start as new devise it says my device can’t be found turn the power on and try again. I can’t clear the bar with the exclamation point off the screen on my Fitbit. Very frustrating

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes