Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphs on the application do you see what I hear?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am a blind user with an iPhone using the voiceover application as a screen reader. I’m wondering if you see what I hear and distance steps calories and floors. The day field on these graphs is a mixture of abbreviations and poorly spelled out days. Abbreviated days are set, sun, and MON. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday are fully spelled out.

in the distance graph I have noted that dispenses are usually formatted with two decimal points however when dispensers have only one decimal point the voiceover software interprets that as a date such as 4.1 would be April 1 and 8.4 would be August 4. This does not happen in the field labels today and in data once it is no longer displayed in the graph.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @Podunk 

I did read your message earlier when you posted it but I didn’t respond because I didn’t have a satisfactory answer. I’m afraid it’s again your voiceover that’s in poor condition and the developers should be ashamed of their work. Some of the things that seem confusing to you is completely understandable. Example: The voiceover is reading particular things to you but there is also an image that might go with it. Having the image (and reading the words) at the same time would help put content to what you might be hearing. 

I’m not entirely sure why your days are abbreviated (Sun, Mon) but other days, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday etc are fully spelled out. What I see is (example) when you look at the list of daily distance miles it’s says all the days in abbreviated form for the first 7 days on the list then after the 7th day it turns to dates. Example Aug 4, 2022 will show just 8/4.

If you view it in graph form it spells out each day of the week instead of using abbreviations. 🤔 I wonder if voiceover is effected by screen size. Meaning if your using voiceover on let’s say an iPad (which has a larger viewing area) or on a phone (which has a much smaller viewing area) there might be some language abbreviations on a smaller screen versus a larger screen. I personally use an iPad so I wonder if that’s why I might get the full spelling in some areas where there’s room and abbreviations when room is limited for text. 

About the decimal points (with only one decimal point reading as a date on your voiceover) is again a poor oversight but the developers of the voiceover program. In their defense I’m sure to err is human but let’s be honest here….Fitbit has been around a long time and I’m sure things like this had to be identified and reported by users like yourself. Are they actually addressing the issues they are receiving or is it simply being ignored?? 

This is the best answer I can provide to your post. I really believe the voiceover app is the issue. Yes, there are some issues with the Fitbit App but without a properly tuned voiceover to read it to you correctly it will only compound issues and create new ones as well. 

Best Answer
It has been a long time since I built grabs and wrote software. The first thing I would look at would be the numerical values in the graph and I think I would fine that the fields are not numeric and the field blank that’s not been set to two decimal points. Looking at the date labels on the graph I would look to see how they were formatted and to see if something changed from the original formatting of the labels and some were changed and some weren’t

Day and date fields can be formatted in so many different ways and it is up to the person designing the graph and programming the software to make sure that Dave Feels Formatted to reflect the desired view.

Sent from my iPhone

Based on my experience with other applications and websites I would say that the iPhone voiceover app is not the problem. As you know I have made a future suggestion that the developers before releasing updated versions of the software your screen reading software like VoiceOver to make sure the users who are blind or reading disabled had access to the information on the screen in a clear and concise format.

I have made similar errors to the ones I have noted but I know that it can be it’s frustrating search defined incorrect formatting issues.
Best Answer

@Podunk I certainly don’t have the expertise in writing programs for sure!! I’m lucky if I can accurately draw a map on paper to get from plaint A to point B. 🤣

But, it’s impressive that you too have built software before so I’m sure your analysis of the situation comes from a greater understanding then I can possibly achieve for certain. 

I can only point you in this direction: https://www.digitala11y.com/how-where-to-report-accessibility-bugs/

Or here: https://www.applevis.com/

I can report this post and hopefully it can at least be looked into. That’s all I can do. 

Best Answer

Thank you very much for the links. I have scanned them and will go back and look at them more seriously. I appreciate everything you do for the community.

I will save this email for future reference and I think it will be helpful in my understanding of screen reader issues.

Best Answer