Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I install older Fitbit iOS app version?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everybody,

I just bought a fitbit Flex 2 for my brother as a gift. His phone is iphone 4s with ios 8. unfortunately he cant download the fitbit app, as it is compatible with ios 9 or higher. How can he download the older version of the app that is compatible with ios 8?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone, it's good to see you here in the forums.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about this situation. As with any other app, the Fitbit app was optimized to work on mobile devices that meet our requirements, and it'll also depend on the operating system. While it's not possible to download an older Fitbit app version, if possible, you can try borrowing a compatible mobile device from a friend or relative to set up and sync your Fitbit device.

I wanted to inform you that I'm going to close this thread from further comments. However, if you have more questions about any Fitbit device or feature, I'd invite you to check our help site or create a new topic in the Help Forums to receive help from other members. Your feedback is truly appreciated, and we'll continue working to improve your Fitbit experience with our products, services and overall environment.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

Hello @manaseeker, thanks for joining us, it's great to see new faces around Smiley Happy

According to our compatibility list, the iPhone 4S needs iOS 8 or newer to run the Fitbit app. If your brother is not able to download the app, please send me a screenshot of what he's able to see in the App Store, including any error message that he might have received as it's not possible to download an older version of the app. 

I'll be waiting for your reply, thanks for your patience during this matter. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, Thanks for your response. I'll ask my brother to take screenshot. meanwhile I visited iTunes. The information provided for fitbit app states that it requires ios 9.0 or later. How is that possible?

Screenshot 2017-04-05 13.38.51.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can't download older versions of the Fitbit app from the App Store. Apple doesn't allow you to have versions in the App Store.

Fitbit currently supports iOS 9 and up. With the 4s you could upgrade the OS to version 9. and then be able to download the Fitbit app.

You may want to know more about the effects fo running iOS 9 on an older device like the iPhone 4s - http://gizmodo.com/should-you-update-to-ios-9-on-your-iphone-4s-1731478418

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually you can download older versions of iOS apps, but it’s tricky. If you successfully install the latest version on a different device (eg your new phone) then when you try to install the same app on an earlier version of IOS (eg your old phone or iPad) it should prompt you to install the older version that is compatible with the older device. This is provided that you use the same Apple ID for both. 🙂

Best Answer

Hello @Markforsyth, thanks for joining the conversation, it's great to have you on board the Fitbit Community. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for posting your insight about this situation. Please keep in mind that we do not recommend install or use older versions of the app as it's possible that older versions will not be able to sync with your Fitbit device and our team is always updating the app to resolve bugs and glitches. 

I hope this helps, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello I have an Apple iPad 3rd Gen and it has iOS 9.3.5 latest iOS 9 version and I have tried downloading the Fitbit app but it has this message that says application requires iOS 10.0 or higher and I cannot update my iPad I have tried jailbreaking my iPad but it was to hard so please help me.

UPDATE:

Actually I have tried to download a newer app for iOS 6 in the App Store and it had this message that said download an older version of this app? Try it.

UPDATE 2:

P.S. I curse sometimes (only in fortnight when I suck at it) but anyway please don't ban/kick me.

Note: This is to all developers of the Fitbit website not public people. Thank you 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @ElijahDrabnis, thanks for joining the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for sharing your suggestions. Please note that as mentioned earlier, we do not recommend using an older version of the Fitbit app as you might come across some issues that were resolved on latest app versions and we cannot guarantee an older version will work as intended. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, I hope you have a great day. 

Best Answer

Hey wasup marcogfitbit.

First of all I just wanted to say thanks for replying to my post I don't curse at all I just said that because I wasn't thinking, and I'm only 11.

Anywho I saw that you did not reply to my comment about iOS 9 but then I saw that it was only for iOS 10 or later so I guess I just awnserd my question for me.

Thank you for friending me maybe we could play a game together that has voice chat nothing that's to hard and no bad stuff. Sent from my iPad. From ElijahDrabnis

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @ElijahDrabnis, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

Please note that after the 2.82 app update, iOS 9 is no longer supported by the Fitbit app. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused you, if there's anything else we can do for you please feel free to reply. 

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I'm a new user of fitbit.  I just bought fitbit versa, and try to set up on iphone with IOS 9.  But the current fitbit only supports iso 10+.   How can I download older version of fitbit?

(BTW, I searched this forum, couldn't find solution)

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So are you saying we cannot download the fitbit app to our ipad or ipod.  I bought the fitbit ace for my daughter for Christmas, but if she is unable to sync her fitbit, i'm just going to return it.  Disappointed! I've been a fitbit use for years.

Best Answer

No.  We can download.  My issue was that I don't want to update iso on my iphone.  Fitbit app needs iso 10+.

Best Answer

Exactly. So if I don't have ISO 10 I can't download the app.

Best Answer

Hello @new_user1 and @Sherihay, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for sharing your experience with us. Please note that as mentioned earlier, in order to download and install the Fitbit app on your phone or tablet, your devices should be running at least iOS 10. I understand your concern about this, but at this moment the Fitbit app has been optimized and will no longer run on iOS 9. You can check the official statement here. As far as we know, it's not possible to download a previous version of the app. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, if there's anything else we can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Many thanks! And yes, I totally understand we need IOS 10 to download the app. Previous to purchasing, I didn't think about looking into that as it's never been an issue.  Sadly, I will be returning the fitbit tomorrow to find something compatible with her ipad/ipod. And since I am due for an upgrade, I'll be looking for another product, as I don't want the same issue. Being a Fitbit user for over 6 years, I find it disappointing that Fitbit made it difficult for users who are unable to download IOS 10.  Regardless, it is what it is.  

Thanks again for responding.

Best Answer

Hello @Sherihay, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have come back and replied to us. I'm sorry to hear you've decided to return your Fitbit device, I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you've experienced. Thanks again for keeping us updated. 

Happy stepping! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi every body 

my ipad(iOS 9.3.5)  crashed and lost fit bit app ,not available in store for this version 

pse advise/ help to re down load old version it  is a charge HR  MODEL.

REPLY OR

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you do something similar for Android? Here's the thing. My Fitbit Ionic died after a factory reset. So I went back to my Charge 2 (yes , still alive and kicking although I got it back in 2017). Anyhow, I uninstall the app from my sony z5 as it was in continuous loop to try to add that faulty ionic; when i tried to install it back it says it's not compatible with my phone. Although I did the same thing (uninstall / install) on this past Fri and it worked; I have another cell, a Pixel 1 on which I can run the app and I've connected the Charge 2 but it's not my daily driver so won't get any call notifications. Obviously I can't find any official resource to download the previous fitbit app version...and I don't want to download from dodgy sites. Any not-so-dodgy options? I am not in the market to change my Sony z5 (still works) just to make it work with a just as old fitbit device

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, did you get an answer?  I have a similar issue with my versa and an older android samsung galaxy phone.  I had to uninstall bc the phone all of a sudden cannot find the versa. Then when i tried to redownload to reinstall the app, google play says the fitbit version is not compatible with my phone.  I basically have no use for my versa or any future fitbit products anymore since i have no app.

Best Answer