Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change distance on treadmill exercise?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello, I understand that the distance tracked on my Alta Hr after a walk/run on the treadmill is dependent on stride length etc. If after a treadmill workout, can I simply change the distance to reflect the accurate distance I walked based off the treadmill? I see that I can only edit the duration of my workout. Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

Hello @Bianca0917, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

Is your Alta auto-recognizing the Treadmill activity or are you logging it manually? In either case you can tap on the exercise and then on the ellipsis (...) icon on the top right corner of the screen and tap on Edit Exercise Log, then you'll be able to edit the distance of your exercise:

DistanceTreadmill.jpg

If you're not able to see this screen, please take a screenshot of what you're able to see and reply to me with it so I can check this further. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and let me know the outcome! Smiley Wink

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Bianca0917, I hope you're doing well. Smiley Happy

Thanks for taking the time to reply, unfortunately it seems your latest response came through blank. Would it be possible for you to reply to me once again. In case you need to upload a screenshot or a picture, please follow these instructions to do so. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, I'll be waiting for your reply. 

Best Answer

Hello! Sorry about that. Ok, so I will attach the photos the correct way 😊

Here's the screenshot of what I can edit. I can only edit time and not distance. Now that I am thinking of it, since I am on a treadmill, should I turn off GPS? I am swinging my arms and I have verified the stride length as well  but the tracking is not accurate I guess since it's based on GPS tracking? If I can just edit distance, that would be fine. I am just trying to figure out best way to track treadmill workouts with all the info possible (HR, distance, calorie burn, steps etc). 

Thanks for your helpIMG_5126.PNG

IMG_5127.PNG

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Bianca0917, I hope you're having a great day, thanks for taking the time to reply and send me the screenshots. 

At this moment I would like to suggest you to turn off GPS tracking on your Alta HR as this is the reason the activity can't be edited. Please let the tracker auto-detect your Treadmill exercise. 

Additionally, you can adjust the time it takes for the tracker to detect your exercise by going to the Fitbit app > Account > Exercise and in here you will be able to manually adjust the time it takes for your tracker to auto-recognize each individual activity. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. 

Best Answer

Hello, I’m experiencing the same problem, and the screenshots above describe my same situation. I’m using a Fitbit Ionic.

I‘m confused about the proposed solution of turning off GPS, because the GPS option only appears under the settings for “Run” excercises, not “Treadmill” excercises, which I select when beginning treadmill runs. My understanding is that GPS isn’t enabled or logged during treadmill runs, whether they’re auto-detected or begun by selecting the Treadmill excercise.

Respectfully, this seems like a software bug.

Best Answer

@abstrctn - 

I let the auto-recognize function let my treadmill "walks" be booked as exercises. And for those brave enough to run on a treadmill, I suspect it would auto-recognize that as well.

No need to start an exercise manually, just get on and start walking. Making sure to never hold on with my left hand where my Alta HR resides, I get very accurate step counts. And if I walk for more than 11 minutes I get credit as an exercise with all the detailed tracking involved with that, including heart rate.

Be advised it takes just a little over 60 seconds to "auto-recognize" a walk and the activity time track does not start until the recognition occurs. Walk 11 minutes and 10 seconds get credit for 10:05. Walk 10 minutes and 40 seconds and get no credit for an exercise. Active minutes are calculated in the normal manner under both conditions.

I have performed many controlled tests and the recognition time never wavers, nor the not counting the time in the exercise record.

Good luck and welcome to the boards.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

So question. The fit bit Alta HR. I can tell it I'm getting on the tredmill and it will start recording thst distance and stop when I tell it to stop and give me a distance for that work out?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Lschuit, I hope you're having a great day, thanks for joining the conversation. It's always a pleasure @MrMarv, thanks for all of your help. Smiley Happy

That's an excellent question @Lschuit, please note that your Alta HR includes SmartTrack technology and by default, SmartTrack recognizes an exercise that lasts at least 15 minutes. You can lower this setting to 10 minutes, or increase it as high as 90 minutes. To change this setting go to the Fitbit app and tap on the Exercise tile, then on the gear icon on the top right corner. After that tap on the exercise you want to modify and adjust the time.

Now, as @MrMarv mentioned, your tracker will start "auto-detecting" your activity after 60 seconds but it will only give you credit after the tracker has detected constant activity after 15 (or 10 if you have adjusted the time) minutes. Once you finish the exercise, the tracker will also detect the activity has ended and will calculate the distance and calories burned during that specific exercise which you will be able to see once the activity has been synced with the app.

I hope this resolves your inquiry, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Best Answer
Does it have a manual start and stop option from the phone app?

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Lschuit, thanks for taking the time to reply, I hope you're having a great day. Smiley Happy

From the Fitbit app you can start and stop MobileRun by going to the Exercise Tile and then tapping on the chronometer icon. However, MobileTrack will only work for Walk, Run or Hike exercises. For all the others your Alta HR will detect them automatically after 10 (or 15 depending on the settings) have passed while exercising. 

I hope this resolves your inquiry, if there's anything else I can help you with, please feel free to reply. 

Best Answer
For "run walk, hike activities" on the tredmill? Your not answering my question. If I turn on the Mobil app to track my activity and then get on the tredmill then get off and turn it off will I have a distance for the workout I just did on the tredmill.Lesley

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

Hello @Lschuit, thanks for replying, it's always nice to see you around. Smiley Happy

Please note that MobileRun uses GPS information to calculate the distance so if you were to use it to track your Treadmill exercise, as your phone is not moving, it will not register distance data, only steps. For Treadmill runs, your Alta HR is equipped with SmartTrack that will automatic detect the exercise and log it automatically once you finish it and sync your tracker. 

I hope this resolves your inquiry, don't hesitate to reply in case you need anything else. Smiley Wink

Best Answer

Hi, so what if the logged distance is wrong?  I can’t believe that you don’t let us edit but the start and end time, really?

If I am missing how to do that, please let me know. 

Best Answer

Hello @csola, I hope you're doing well, thanks for joining the Fitbit Community. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the Forums. Please note that in manually added exercises, it's possible to edit the distance of the exercise, simply tap on that specific exercise then on the ellipsis (...) symbol on the top right corner of the screen, then on Edit Exercise Details. 

Now, when it comes to exercises recorded by SmartTrack, MobileTrack or Connected GPS, editing the distance is not possible. I understand this is very important for you, which is why I would like to ask you to check on @fireman099's suggested idea to implement this feature in a future update. Feel free to add your vote and comment, this is the best way to make your voice heard and get the attention from our development team.

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply.

Best Answer
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I really think it's weird that Fitbit won't let
edit exercise distance. I will check if it lets sometime in the future.

On the other hand, I am trying to add a manual exercise (not the best user
experience, but giving it a shot), but at least for Treadmill it will only
let me set the start time, duration and calories. I am aware that I can
create it as "Run", but I think it is good to keep whether the exercise was
indoors or outdoors. If I recategorize the exercise as "Treadmill", it
just recalculates the distance 😞 .

Thank you!
Best Answer

Hello @csola, I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you again. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have taken the time to reply. Please note that when you're manually logging a "Treadmill" activity you can edit the start time, duration, calories burned and distance before adding the activity, the app will only calculate your pace:

Treadmill.png

If the field shows gray or is not showing at all, please let me know and reply to me with a screenshot so I can check this further. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, don't hesitate to reply in case there's anything else I can do for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having a similar issue, I have a Charge 2 and I have been tracking treadmill workouts by starting/stopping them on my device. when i go into the app, i don't have the option to change the distance. I would upload a screenshot, but the site isn't letting me do that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

DE66721C-F566-4B44-8C2C-8216FB056ACF.png

55CE7919-5DBD-4AF3-AD16-6ECF8B0828F9.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes