Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In app MESSAGING NOT WORKING

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’m not able to send or receive in app messages. To be clear I’m NOT referring to MESSAGE NOTIFICATIONS. 

Talking about the in app INBOX for personal MESSAGES to & from OTHER FITBIT USERS. 

The whole area is just BLANK in the iOS app, same is true for WEB VERSION except there spinning turquoise circle dots appear. 

Please let LET ME KNOW if this is a KNOWN ISSUE & being worked on. I’ll get stepping & I’LL BE PATIENT 🙂

THANKS FITBIT for all your HARD WORK for us. 

P.S. - Requested a friend to message me - they are getting an “unable to send” ERROR MESSAGE. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18

Yikes @lilbitcounts2 

It's possible the app is not updating correctly with the Fitbit server. 

• Force-close the app by double tapping the home button on your phone and swiping up the app. If that doesn't seem to work, then
  • Log out from the app, restart your phone and log back in. 

I hate offering you the standard go to answer I see so frequently here but it doesn’t hurt to try it. Also I would go to the Fitbit Online Dashboard and tap the “wheel gear” in the upper right of your screen and pick settings from the drop view menu. Then tap notifications and make sure “Messages from Friends” wasn’t accidental uncheck......it would hurt to uncheck it click save then check it again and click save as a way to toggle it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks MEGA did all that except toggle notifications from web settings. Which I will do, although this is not a notification issue - I CAN NOT SEND OR RECEIVE MESSAGES, much less receive a notification for it. 

I even uninstalled & reinstalled the app, restarted the Ionic. Usual tech gymnastics but no go, must not be on this end. 

In in fact I sent you a message thru the iOS app. Probably you didn’t get it tho. 

If you know a way to escalate this or if FitBit is already working on it, let me know. 

Are you a FitBit employee or just voluntarily help fellow FitBitians? Either way KUDOS and MANY THANKS 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @lilbitcounts2 

😃 I did indeed receive your message that you sent via  Online Fitbit Dashboard. It arrived in my private message on the Fitbit App app 3 hours ago. I responded back through the Fitbit app but this message again confirms you didn’t get it. I got your cheer as well but I understand that’s not a message but a notification. I have dug around the community and I can’t find anyone with this issue (but maybe no one has said anything yet) . I do have one other idea....do you have anyone in your home that you can borrow their device and install a Fitbit App on their device just temporarily so you can log in using a different device and see if the same issue happens. (That way we can rule out that it’s not the device your using.....it’s perfectly fine....I can be on both my cell phone with it and my iPad)

No 😃I don’t work for Fitbit. I’m just a Fitbit Fan (user) like yourself and just want people to enjoy it as much as I do and if I can help others along the way even better.

I can attempt to get a moderator to view this thread. Keep me updated

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow @lilbitcounts2  I just saw your other post. We have something else in common besides or addiction to Fitbit....I had a brain tumor removed from my forth ventricle on May 10, 2018. I purchased my Fitbit one month later to help me recover. 😃 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can try another device on the same account. Also set up another account with other device. But....off to the nap challenge for now. 

Yes it it would be great if a FitBit person saw this. May have to call support....or maybe it will magically start working 😉

i sent the message from the iOS app, not the web Dashboard, so good you received it. Did not receive your reply tho. 

Best Answer

WOW MEGA! So glad you’re also well from Brain Surgery. After such things it’s like looking at the same world but from a different window....ehhh? 

Lots of things are no longer a big deal & certainly not getting sideways over 😉

AHHH....but this is a tad off topic.....

CHEERS!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lilbitcounts2 

If you end up having to call Fitbit Customer Service you might want to tell them that when I tried to send you a message through the Online Dashboard and I get a “Error: Resource Was Not Found” pop up. I tried sending other friends I have on my friends list a message the same way I attempted to send you a message and each one of those successfully went through. This “Error” may help the technicians at the Fitbit Customer Service better pinpoint the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

BIG THANKS MEGA! 

That error message will likely help FitBit get this sorted 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

DOES ANYONE HAVE ACCURATE INFORMATION?

In app messaging has not worked for TWO WEEKS since the 3.5 update. 

After 10 emails with customer support and 2 phone calls to FitBit support in Columbia this issue is NOT RESOLVED. 

Perhaps the screenshot of my most recent email to Erica at FitBit support can save everyone time by eliminating unnecessary steps and inaccurate communication. 

7139475F-9803-41B5-A23B-F33B4440612B.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @lilbitcounts2  

wow you have been through it all to get the “in app messages to work”! I was thinking about ya last night and was wondering it your in app messages were still working or not so I sent you a “test message” last night through the online Dashboard as well as through the Fitbit app. I knew it still wasn’t working because I got that same error code that I told ya about. Ugh 😑 

i thought about it and I have what could be a lame suggestion but who knows at this point it might be worth a shot. My thought is to toggle (might not be the correct term) the in app messages. If your interested try this:

First log out of the online Dashboard completely then clear your online history. Then log into your Fitbit App, tap your profile picture then scroll down and tap notifications. Once your in notifications disabled all of them...everything. Once you do that tap the upper left of your screen to go back to your account an then tap the name of your Fitbit band located just under the family account. Then scroll down to notifications here and tap that. Again disabled all the notifications. Once you do all that sign out of the Fitbit app and force shut it by swiping up. Lastly completely shut down your iOS device. Once it completely shut down wait about two mins then turn your device back on and log into your Fitbit app. Go back to your notifications and turn on all the notifications you want back on and then sync. 

@lilbitcounts2  My theory is maybe the app needs toggled and this might work. I think you should give it a shot. After ya do all this let me know and I can try and send ya a test Message to see if it goes through 

Best Answer
0 Votes

THANK YOU MEGA - 

Please scroll down to the last bullet point in the screenshot included in my ORIGINAL POST. 

*I was told by FitBit phone support in Columbia that not being able to use in app messaging is a widespread issue with iPhones. 

IS THIS INFORMATION ACCURATE?

If so, no amount of guesswork and repetitive digital gymnastics will help. 

CAN FITBIT ENGINEERS CONFIRM THAT IN APP MESSAGING IS NOT WORKING FOR IPHONE USERS?

Once again Mega, this is NOT AN ISSUE WITH NOTIFICATIONS.

Your help is appreciated Mega, perhaps you can assist in getting an ACCURATE RESPONSE FROM FITBIT.  

*** Posting a screenshot of the error message you receive when trying to send an in app message to me may help FitBit clarify and resolve this issue.***

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lilbitcounts2 

Yes I completely understand it’s not a notification issue but if you look under the notifications I mentioned it even says friends request and messages from friends. I know your talking about “in Fitbit App Messages” ......the reason I suggested the things in the last post I did about disabling all notifications is because I tried it out with a friend. I deleted my notifications like I described to you and she was unable to get my “in app messages” and when I enabled them again she was. So my theory was for you to try disabling them, shutting down then enabling them again might toggle the app in someway. I just thought it was worth a try.

Yes, I have heard of some individuals not receiving notifications and having issues but I’ve only seen regular notifications issues but no “in app private messages like yourself”. I haven’t read every post in the community lol but so far your the only one with your particular issue that “i” have read about. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Mega -

I’ve  completed all the steps you suggested. The issue of being UNABLE TO SEND IN APP MESSAGES is not resolved. 

Can you please post a screenshot of the error message you receive when trying to send a message to me. 

At this point an accurate response from FitBit is necessary. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lilbitcounts2 

Ugh now when I send you a message via Dashboard it doesn’t give me an error code anymore but it does say “something went wrong “at the top of my screen”. Here’s a screenshot: 

1B075855-82A7-4995-B263-1A862D6773D0.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry the screenshot is somewhat blurry @lilbitcounts2  it pops up and disappears quickly so it took several tires to capture it

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK THANK YOU @SunsetRunner

FITBIT has NOT RESPONDED here in the forums.

ISSUE: IN APP MESSAGING NOT WORKING. 

I remain hopeful to hear from them soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Woohoo @lilbitcounts2 

Super excited that I got a message from you in the Fitbit App this morning waiting for me when I woke up! Finally your messages are up and running 😃 this is fantastic news. If you could please mark this thread as an accepted solution so that people know it has been resolved. I’ll see ya in the Challenges 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner 

Thats wonderful news my message was received however, only one side of the equation. 

ISSUE: IN APP MESSAGING NOT WORKING - unable to receive messages sent to me in the FitBit app. SENDERS are still RECEIVING ERROR MESSAGES. 

There is NOT AN ACCEPTED SOLUTION......yet. 

Best Answer
0 Votes