Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistency between Health app and Fitbit tracker.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, everyone! I recently started using Fitbit, before the band I just used my phone (iPhone 6s) with a pedometer+Health app. I have found that the readings between the iPhone and the Fitbit are most of the times amazingly different, for example, the Fitbit would record 13.000 steps but the iPhone would record 9000, same with distance, Fitbit would mark 4.5 km but the phone only 2 km.

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this? Any ideas on why is it so inconsistent between them?

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello @SunsetRunner, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. 

Fitbit trackers use a 3-axis accelerometer to understand your motions. By analyzing acceleration data, our trackers provide detailed information about frequency, duration, intensity, and patterns of movement to determine your steps taken. 

Fitbit trackers have a finely tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running.  When working at a desk, cooking, or doing other arm movements, a tracker on your wrist can pick up some extra steps if it thinks you're walking. Many of these situations—such as working or cooking—do include a few steps in-between stationary periods so the tracker tries to give you credit for those steps.

I hope this resolves your inquiry, if there's anything else I can do for you please feel free to reply. Smiley Wink

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @SunsetRunner, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. 

Fitbit trackers use a 3-axis accelerometer to understand your motions. By analyzing acceleration data, our trackers provide detailed information about frequency, duration, intensity, and patterns of movement to determine your steps taken. 

Fitbit trackers have a finely tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running.  When working at a desk, cooking, or doing other arm movements, a tracker on your wrist can pick up some extra steps if it thinks you're walking. Many of these situations—such as working or cooking—do include a few steps in-between stationary periods so the tracker tries to give you credit for those steps.

I hope this resolves your inquiry, if there's anything else I can do for you please feel free to reply. Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the quick reply! I've been playing with the Fitbit this week looking into real time measuring, etc. I've found it's pretty accurate and it's only off maybe +/- 5 steps or so. I was concerned about it not being accurate but the more I use it the more it seems to follow and distinguish movements (if that makes any sense). Again, thanks for the reply! It did help out a lot 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SunsetRunner, I hope you're having a great day, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

I'm really glad you've found your Fitbit tracker fun and that you've no longer experience accuracy issues. In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted! Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your reply but actually I don't think it is very helpful. You simply repeat the virtues of Fitbit without really answering the question. The Health App and Fitbit record the same number of steps on a walk or run but the km conversion is different.

Best Answer
0 Votes