Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Fitbit app available for iPhone 6?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently bought 2 new Inspire2 fitness bands for family members as birthday presents, and was shocked when they went to set them up & have found the app requires iOS 13 as a minimum. Both of these family members have iPhone 6’s and have no intention of upgrading their phones (elderly family members). One if my friends has the same phone, running iOS 12 with no issues, but new users cannot set this up. Is there any way of obtaining older versions of the app, so I don’t have to return the bands for a refund?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

There is not. iPhone 6 is no longer compatible with Fitbit. I tried calling apple support and they couldn’t help. I worked with Fitbit customer support and they simply said they no longer support iPhone 6. This is incredibly disappointing. I have never had a Fitbit and was super excited to get one, now I will be returning it and buying a whoop.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
16 REPLIES 16

There is not. iPhone 6 is no longer compatible with Fitbit. I tried calling apple support and they couldn’t help. I worked with Fitbit customer support and they simply said they no longer support iPhone 6. This is incredibly disappointing. I have never had a Fitbit and was super excited to get one, now I will be returning it and buying a whoop.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Euan_1982 and @Johnnyland and welcome to the Help forum.  I have some information for you that is unrelated to Fitbit's minimum OS requirement (it changed for Android devices, too, BTW).  Apple ended all support for the iPhone 6/6+.  That means that you won't get any security updates.  Please keep this in mind as you continue to use these older phones.

Laurie | Maryland
Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agreed, especially when one of my friends has an iPhone 6 and runs the Fitbit app with no issues (using ios12). All I’m asking for is for historic versions of the app to be available somewhere, so older handset users can access, even if this is caveat’d to state there may be fuses/issues with it. Seems it’s a bit of a lottery on when you buy one of these devices as to whether you can actually use them or not! C’mon FitBit, get it together!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Euan_1982   I am not an expert on this, but I think there is a difference because your friend already has the app on their phone and you are downloading it for the first time.  I suspect that your friend has version 3.42 of the Fitbit app.  I have version 3.43.  I don't think your friend can get the new app version.  You don't say what model Fitbit your friend has, but if your friend has a smartwatch he/she might have trouble using apps.  Apps usually need the current Fitbit app version.

Also to the best of my knowledge, Apple won't let you download an older version of the app as a first time download. 

Laurie | Maryland

Best Answer

My friend has a Versa 2…That is my point exactly, my friend has an older version (which is what I am looking for) and my family members cannot download that from anywhere. No issues using their Versa 2 using that version of the app, it’s a complete lottery when you buy a device as to whether it will work with the phone you have, depending on whether FitBit have updated it to align with newer versions only!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Euan_1982   I know you are frustrated, but this isn't the first time Fitbit changed the minimum OS.  The minimum OS changed for Android, too.  Unfortunately, it appears to be an Apple decision that older versions of an app aren't available to new users.  I also suspect that your friend will develop syncing or app troubles as time goes by.  When users have troubles, one of the first recommendations is to make sure you have the current version of the Fitbit app.

The minimum OS for software changes for all types of software for phones, tablet, laptops and desktops.  It is a digital fact of life. 

Laurie | Maryland

Best Answer
0 Votes

Um excuse me, https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/products/trackers/charge4

Fitbits own website says that it supports Iphone5s and older, I just bought  a charge 4 based on this advice for fathers day, and now it is telling me that it is not compatible, this is disgusting

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @dabello92 and welcome to the Help forum.  I understand your frustration.  This change happened a few months ago and the Store pages should have been updated.  My main reason for responding to you post is to inform you that Apple doesn't support the iPhone 5s anymore.  There are no more security updates for the phone.

Laurie | Maryland

Best Answer

@dabello92 Welcome to the Community. @LZeeW Thanks for your great help!

@dabello92 Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Please let me explain that now it's required to have an iPhone or iPad running iOS 13.4 or later to install the Fitbit app and set up a device such as the Charge 4. I understand how you're feeling about the information displayed in our website and I apologize for the inconvenience. This situation has been reported to our team so they can work on this, and prevent this from happening again. I'd recommend checking this link which describes the compatibility requirements with the Fitbit app. I appreciate your feedback and our team will keep working to make Fitbit more useful for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m running the 6 with iOS 14.7.1 and been updating phone iOS, Fitbit app, and Sense firmware without issue since 11/3/20 (see below). Everything has been working great. I think I got this iphone 6 years ago new.

I don’t understand why they don’t update the iOS 12

Sense Activation 11/3/20\IPhone 12 Pro Max\SimpleClockPro Watch Face\Spigen Rugged Armor Pro Case/Band
Best Answer

Hi @Clove6060. It's good to see you here.

Thanks for the details provided, and for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm sorry for this inconvenience with the Fitbit app not being compatible with older iOS devices. Fitbit strives to improve our products, features and services, and the input we receive from our members is a big part of the process. Currently your mobile device needs to meet the compatibility requirements to install the Fitbit app. However, if it was already installed, it should continue working on iPhones running iOS 12 or older as long as it's not uninstalled.

Best Answer

Hi Lizzy, 

The only reason why I am replying again to this is because I still receive notifications when this thread is replied to, and I thought I would check if the sales page of the Charge 4 has been updated.

Just over a year on, the sales page STILL has not been updated. I appreciate that you nor LzeeW would not have any ability to change what is displayed on the website, but whoever is managing the information displayed on your website is letting you down, as both of you advised the change was made within a few months since my first reply of April 2021, now it's April 2022 and it is still not updated.

https://www.fitbit.com/global/au/products/trackers/charge4

• Syncs with Mac OS X 12.2 and up, iPhone 5S and later, Android 7.0 and later.

I've read your previous reply, and the link provided does describe the correct IOS requirement, but the SPECS tab of the product page itself has not been updated, and from a customer prospective, the link you provided me must have been hidden away in the website as I was not able to find such a link before making the purchase.  So providing the link after the customer has made the purchase is useless and false marketing from Fitbit. Again, I appreciate it is not your responsibility, but someone at Fitbit has to take responsibility in simply updating the website information!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, @dabello92.

Thanks for taking the time to share these details with me. I've forwarded your comments to our team one more time so they can work on our website and correct the specifications of our Fitbit devices. I understand where you're coming from about this situation and I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Every feedback shared in the forums helps us to evaluate our procedures, improve our services as well as our devices. Your comments are truly appreciated and please know it won't go unnoticed.

Best Answer

Hi Lizzyfitbit. This is not the case. My iPhone 6 has been supporting the app for the last 7 years however today will not download or open stating in need iOS 13. My iPhone 6 only supports iOS 12.5.6. I have used Fitbit 2,4 and 5 with it up until today. Am I able to get a refund on my recently purchased Fitbit 5? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Skents   Please contact Support for help returning your Charge 5.  I'm quite surprised that you were able to set up your Charge 5 with your current OS.

Laurie | Maryland

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Johnnyland wrote:

Thx 

Best Answer
0 Votes