Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with GPS Tracking on Fitbit iOS App

ANSWERED

I wanted to bring up an issue I've been experiencing with the Fitbit iOS app recently, and I'm hoping someone here might have some insight or solutions.

It seems that the app is not marking all GPS points accurately during my activities, and at times, it's even skipping waypoints altogether (drawing lines over none pathways etc). This has made it impossible for me to trace and record my data accurately, which is incredibly frustrating as I rely on this information to track my progress and performance. mi pretty stable in my routes so I know what the data output should be.

I'm not sure if this is a widespread issue or if it's just affecting a few users like myself, but if anyone else has encountered similar problems or has any suggestions on how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate your input.

I've tried restarting my phone and reinstalling the app, disable/enable the location permission but unfortunately, the issue persists. If there are any troubleshooting steps I haven't tried yet, please let me know.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everybody ! Thank you for your reports and information.  

As mentioned our team is aware of this and is still investigating. Your information will help our team identify the issue at hand. 

Just to clarify. I mark the post as "Best Answers", so that other users know that we are working on this easier, not because the issue has been solved.  

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
67 REPLIES 67

Hey @user456w 

You're not alone; the same thing was happening to me on my walks. I ended up re-configuring my Charge4 to use my iPhone's GPS. It's much more reliable and more accurate. Also significantly extends your tracker's battery life.

Best Answer

Hi @mcw53 i only use the Fitbit app as i have an older inspire with no GPS, it is the APP on IOS that has the issue it is very frustrating

Best Answer

Hello @user456w and welcome to the Community.  Please make sure your phone isn't in any kind of power saving mode.  That will definitely interfere with GPS tracking on the phone.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi @LZeeW  good point, i checked and it was sadly already off .would have been a good solution. 

Best Answer

All this started with the latest Fitbit app update 

Best Answer

Hi @user456w  Are you on the most recent version (v4.12)?

Settings (gear) > Help & Support

$fitbit26.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @mcw53 yes that isnæ current version from Tuesday where all went wrong.

Best Answer

Same issue here, and no GPS on my device to fall back on. It’s definitely a Fitbit/iOS issue.

I’ve also uninstalled and reinstalled the app, reset permissions multiple times, and checked the version (indeed, the problem showed up after updating to the most recent version, 4.12). 

The only thing that kind of works as a stop-gap is to have the app open and tracking GPS while I’m out walking or running, and checking it periodically to make sure it’s still functioning. If I accidentally turn off my phone screen when putting it in my pocket, it reverts to reporting that I took the most direct path between where I was when I last had the phone screen on and where I am now, right through buildings and regardless of my actual route. This is not normal behavior.

It’s also draining my phone battery to need the screen on all the time I’m using GPS.

Best Answer

Same here starting with 4.12 - I basically do not get any pathing from GPS if I start an activity/exercise in the iOS app.  The tracked mileage/distance seems to never increase, even if I keep the app open in my hand (for me, noname1919's workaround doesn't help).

I have 100's (maybe 1000's) of logged exercise sessions prior to this, with only the rare GPS de-sync, so it really seems to have started with 4.12.

I have gone back to using my charge4's internal GPS to track the activity, which works but doesn't give the nice map with the mile markers.

Best Answer

Hi @cdgori 

I also use a Charge4 and do not get a map if I start the Walk/Run from the iOS app. If you configure your Charge4 to use your phone's GPS and then start your exercise from the exercise app on your fitbit, you should get the map with mile markers. At least I do.

Swipe left to Settings > GPS Settings > GPS Mode: Phone GPS

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! Thank you for your reports and efforts. 

On your iOS device please go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn on Background App Refresh for the Fitbit app.
This will allow the Fitbit app to run in the background during an activity. 

If the issue still persists, please let me know your mobile device model, and the iOS Version it's using. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also am running into the exact same situation. Ever since the last app updated being 4.12.  I have removed the app and added back, signed out of the app, shut my phone down.  I have made sure that app refresh is on.  I have an iPhone 11 working on ios 17.3.1

My husband is having a similar issue with his iPhone too.

Best Answer

I’ve checked the background app refresh, and it’s set to “allow.” I wish that was the problem.

13 mini, iOS 17.4

Best Answer

I checked background app refresh and it’s on. Same problem. I have 17.3.1 version and 4.12 Fitbit version. 

Best Answer

My Fitbit App GPS tracking stopped working on Tuesday, 3/12. Fitbit App is now v4.12. iOS is 17.3.1. I get drops in tracking and then straight lines across my map. Mileage is totally off. 

i reinstalled app. I’ve used Strava to track instead. One run seemed to work. I’ll try again today.  

One more deeply frustrating experience with app updates causing serious problems.

Best Answer

Hi everyone! Thank you for checking the settings and providing your information. 
I've informed our team and they'll be investigating this issue. They'll work on a solution afterwards.

We appreciate your patience during the investigation. 

Best Answer

I just started to have the same GPS tracking issue on my charge 5 after the iOS update on 3/13.  The app is not correctly tracking mileage and waypoints. I am walking on clearly mapped routes and the app is now mistracking the routes and even has me crossing over bodies of water along the route.  

Best Answer

Same situation here.  I've been walking 4+ miles for years, approximately same route every day.  Since upgrading my Inspire 3 to the newest version last week, the distance is now being recorded incorrectly.  Since last Thursday I've been recording on both Fitbit and Map my Walk.  Today MMW shows 4.51 Miles | Duration 1.12:48.  Fitbit shows 3.65 Miles |Duration 1:12.  I've also rebooted my phone, my Inspire 3 and checked all settings.  Frustrating.  

Best Answer

For additional information: updated to app version 4.13 on March 18 and the problem is presenting slightly differently but is still present in terms of inaccurate routing and distance. Still on iOS 17.4.

Best Answer