Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep getting reminders to allow sync in background

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’m fed up of getting a notification to ‘allow my Fitbit to sync in the background’. I have a Sense, and it appears you’ve removed the facility to allow this, yet still you send out the messages. I’ve looked on my dashboard to see if it’s an option - and it’s not. 
Either put the option back, or stop bombarding me numerous times a day with the message.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

Hi @LadyDiJ - what the message is telling you is to adjust your phone settings, not the Fitbit settings. Your phone must let the Bluetooth and Fitbit app on the phone run in background for normal operations, like notifications.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Hi, @LadyDiJ, welcome, In an Android phone open the Fitbit app in your phone's app tray>battery>set manage battery usage to Unrestricted. If you have an Apple phone you should have similar settings to adjust but I do not know them. Essentially, you need the app to run constantly in the background while some phones treat the Fitbit app as non-essential and put it to sleep.

You should also check that your phone's Bluetooth pairing includes "Sense"

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

Best Answer

Hi. 

I have an iPhone, and have had Fitbits for years.  My Bluetooth is on and paired to Sense.  The app is set for notifications.  There's not much more that I can do.  I've had the message again this afternoon again. It's driving me nuts.  Never had this problem with my Ionic or Charge models.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My phone is set for Bluetooth in the background and is paired to my Sense.  Notifications are also on.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @LadyDiJ , check that you are running iOS 14 or newer. Fitbit Supported Devices explains the issues, your older devices may have worked with an older iOS. Have you checked the battery-saving function?

Let us know.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

Best Answer

I’m running 15.6, so no problem there. Battery saving all OK. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @LadyDiJ, check out the best answer in this thread  Solved: Re: Versa not connecting to Bluetooth. - Fitbit Community may offer you a way forward.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LadyDiJ  - there probably isn't anything really wrong other than a phone setting that's not quite right.

If you install the SimpleCheckUp app when you get that message go to the watch and run the connection test.

If it fails to find the phone it is surely as it says that the Fitbit App (or Bluetooth) is not running in background because either the phone shut it down, you shut it down or it crashed and maybe restarting the phone might help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As soon as I open the app, my sense syncs, so it finds it with no problem at all. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LadyDiJ - that's good, but if it doesn't stay open in background it stops syncing and you have to do the open Fitbit App to sync it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @LadyDiJ, reviewing this thread I must say I have never seen a message "allow my Fitbit to sync in the background". I assume it is coming from either your iOS phone (that's why I suggested the earlier link) or perhaps in some way influenced by the clock face you are using (although this is a remote possibility), may I suggest you change to a Fitbit clock face and see if this continues.

Allowing you have successfully disabled the phone's battery-saving function for the Fitbit app I notice in my Android phone Bluetooth pairing table there is a "Settings" gear icon which when touched offers "Contact sharing", other apps offer different settings. It occurs to me your iOS phone may have a setting that affects your Bluetooth connection. If you have not allowed all the permissions in the Fitbit app I suggest you do so and see if this makes a difference. I realise many people are wary of granting too many permissions to apps but you can always deny them one by one to see if this makes a difference.

I'm sorry I can't offer any certainty here, this is not an issue I've seen before.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, @LadyDiJ@Gr4ndp4 and @Guy_ Thanks for your suggestions and help.

@LadyDiJ Thanks for the details provided and your efforts while working on this matter. I've moved your post to the iOS App board so you can receive more related responses.

Let me share the Fitbit app has an option to receive reminders to keep the Fitbit app running in the background when the Fitbit app is closed. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and to prevent you from receiving them, please give a try to the following steps:

1. Open the Fitbit app and tap your profile picture.
  2. Scroll down and tap Notifications.
  3. Turn off the Force Quit Reminders.
  4. Tap Today at the bottom of the screen.
  5. Pull down on the screen to force a manual sync.
Best Answer