Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location access & bluetooth sharing warning

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When using my Charge 2, with my fitbit app, I always get this warning, I go to the settings and I can't find anything to turn on. Basically it's a pain, because I'll start my charge 2, start running, then check the app. Only to have this warning showing and the app hasn't started. What is it?fitbit location.png 

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

@captarne  What type of phone are you using?  With that information, it could be moved to the correct app forum.  It doesn't have the fonts and appearance of an iOS screen -- and that is why I can't help you -- but the last time I moved something on a hunch, I got it all wrong.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

The "open settings" in the above screen shot is a hot link, tapping it should open the page needed to grant access.

Best Answer

It is an iPhone SE running IO 11, but I had the same problem with the lower OS

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have an iPhone SE, using IO 11, butI had the same problem with the lower OS

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do and it takes me to the settings page for fitbit, but everything is already set to on

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ive moved your iOS question to the iOS board, this should give a wider exposure to the iOS comunity. @captarne

Best Answer

@captarne  OK, so I am obviously not an expert -- I am an iPhone user (6s) -- but your alert text looks different from mine.  Looking at your screen shot, I am wondering if it might be some other phone setting and not an app setting.  For example, why is your airplane mode icon on?

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I think you are right it could be a phone setting, but I can't figure it out.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did anyone figure this out? I'm experiencing the same issue with my iPhone 8 on iOS 11.3.1

Best Answer
0 Votes

Should be as easy as clicking the open settings and setting it to share Bluetooth and always track GPS if that’s something you want to allow.

Best Answer

Still not connecting but will try keeping it set to always tracking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have an iphone 8 using iOS 12.1.2 and I have been getting this since the last update.  I have closed the app, didn't fix it.  I have rebooted the phone, didn't fix it.  I have Location set to on "While Using" and Bluetooth Sharing on.  If I click "No thanks", it pops up next time I go to the app.  I am about ready to delete the app because it is driving me crazy.  I have turned the Location to "Always" and I stop getting the message.  I don't want it to be Always, I just want it when I am using the app!!!  It seems if I dismiss the warning, I shouldn't get it again.

Best Answer

@MsSusanFitness wrote:

I have an iphone 8 using iOS 12.1.2 and I have been getting this since the last update.  I have closed the app, didn't fix it.  I have rebooted the phone, didn't fix it.  I have Location set to on "While Using" and Bluetooth Sharing on.  If I click "No thanks", it pops up next time I go to the app.  I am about ready to delete the app because it is driving me crazy.  I have turned the Location to "Always" and I stop getting the message.  I don't want it to be Always, I just want it when I am using the app!!!  It seems if I dismiss the warning, I shouldn't get it again.

It looks like whatever update you received turned this permission off @MsSusanFitness.

Instead of tapping "No Thanks", Fitbit is asking you to tap "Open Settings" and grant Fitbit permission. I don't know much about iOS but I would assume that each app has it's own permission settings And that it is not enough to simple enable the the location services.

This will continue to pop up as long as the OS is blocking Fitbit.

Can you post a screen shot of the settings after tapping open settings?

Best Answer
Thanks, I have clicked on "Open Settings". I'm a software developer and have tried everything I could think of. But thanks for the suggestion!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MsSusanFitness I've requested for the iOS moderator to step in for help.

Best Answer

Nice to see that you're digging into the Fitbit forums @MsSusanFitness, let me give you a warm Welcome to our Community. Many thanks @Rich_Laue, for make part of this situation. Cat Wink

I haven't already done please turn off the "Bluetooth Sharing". Even if you turn off "Bluetooth Sharing" from the phone Settings for the Fitbit app, your device will continue syncing when you open the Fitbit app. 

I hope this resolves this situation, give it a try and let us know the outcome. Have a nice weekend! 

GraceG | French and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

On ne voit bien qu’avec le cœur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ♥

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is counterproductive advice.

When you turn off the bluetooth sharing, it does NOT sync your watch with app. When you try, it PROMPTS YOU AGAIN to turn on the bluetooth.

Is there an actual advice you can give that would work?

Best Answer

The suggested solution worked for me. I had only been experiencing the annoying location settings/Bluetooth sharing alert in the last month, but have been using my iPhone 7 and charge 3 for 18 months.

In my case, turning Bluetooth OFF in the Fitbit app settings stops the alert coming up when I use the phone’s GPS. The tracker continues pairing with the app as normal. It’s certainly counterintuitive though and needs improving in my opinion.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I withdraw my previous remark. Turning Bluetooth off in the app prevents the Charge3 from syncing with the app. Which is intuitive but useless.
The only way to get rid of the dialogue is to set Bluetooth to ‘Always’. Couple of questions at this stage:

1- why does the app need ‘Always’ Bluetooth access to link with GPS when ‘While Using’ is sufficient to sync normal activities like steps, heart rate etc? I rarely use the GPS link feature so to have it always on seems a waste of battery.
2- I always had the app set to ‘While using’ for Bluetooth and never used to get this message. What’s changed?

Best Answer