Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging Food - can't enter decimals

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

On the iOS app - Up until yesterday when logging custom foods i was able to input decimal places to the various nutritional values. Now when creating custom foods - i can only input whole numbers. Which means either choosing to round up or down values. This defeats the object of logging accurate food intake.

Anyone else having this issue or can anyone from the Fitbit Team assist me.

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Can someone at Fitbit please fix this issue as it’s mandatory for someone like me tracking food after weightloss surgery.

Maybe it’s an oversight like when the decimal place disappeared for BMI recording. Am happy to see that decimal place is now back again for BMI - thanks.

Best Answer

There's no such restriction on the web dashboard (except for the calories field which has been the case for a long time). Maybe not as convenient but at least a work around until the problem is fixed in the app.

I have to admit I gave up on using Fitbit to track food because the functionality hasn't been thought through well enough and it's not really up to the job.

Best Answer
Hi Thanks for your comment. It used to be just the calories board that was in whole values (no decimal place) but now also no decimal places when logging the individual nutritional value of customer foods e.g. weights of protein, carbohydrates etc.
Seeing as I track everything within the Fitbit app - and want to continue only using one app - I want to also be able to accurately track the splits of nutritional value.
Best Answer

So, I first logged this problem over five months ago.  Today, I was told by a FitBit advisor on the helpline that the removal of the decimal place was 'intentional' - although, this seemed more of a guess on his part than genuine insight.  This makes no sense, especially given that you can still use a decimal place when inputting your weight or the water you drink.  Not only that, but what developer would update their app to make it less accurate?   

To say it's been difficult to get FitBit to engage on this matter is an understatement.   

Best Answer

Could someone from FitBit look into this issue and report back to us, please? 

Best Answer

@PatrickGerard wrote:

Today, I was told by a FitBit advisor on the helpline that the removal of the decimal place was 'intentional' - although, this seemed more of a guess on his part than genuine insight.

If it really was intentional then there should be a good reason for it. If no reason was given then I'd also get the feeling the comment was not based on fact.

To say it's been difficult to get FitBit to engage on this matter is an understatement.   

This issue? I would say it's par for the course. It's difficult to get them to engage on any software issue. I get the impression that the support team including the moderators of the community are either not being given enough information to answer customer questions or they are under instructions to try to get the problem to go away without letting technical information out of the company.

Best Answer

I’m not sure why the keep removing the decimal from the keyboard in the iOS app but I hope they add it back soon. Until they do, a workaround is to add the number with a decimal to Notes or some other app, select and copy it, then paste it in the Fitbit app. It’s a nuisance but it works and means you don’t have to enter custom foods via the website. Hope this helps others who are frustrated by this problem. 

Best Answer

Thankyou

Ciao,

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dizy_izy -

Clumsy, but sometimes the best workarounds are clumsy - good catch.

@KymN -

I suspect you used an email link after being notified of a new post to the thread to post your reply - your phone and email address were automatically included. You may want to be a little careful about letting your automatic signature block be included in posts. Just delete the signature block before hitting "Send".

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes