Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to add Rowing as exercise choice

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am in my 5th Surge. I Row on the water. I use the Biking exercise choice. It gives me a record of distance and time with a GPS map. Just wish I could change the workout report to Rowing, but pretty much only running & biking are options. Couldn’t you modify exercise choices to allow a bike ride to be changed to an on water row?

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Marco,
Totally get that updating anything on the Surge is not going to happen, but it does seem that there is enough/significant interest in adding rowing to Fitbit exercises for your latest models would be appropriate.  Also, I was wondering how hard it would be to take the Biking part of the Exercise option, duplicate it, and rename the duplicate Rowing? Surely that would be easy. Thanks for your reply.  I remain disappointed that Fitbit is not interested in supporting the rowing community, either for an on-water rowing option, or a rowing machine rowing option. The workaround of downloading data from the Concept-2 rowing-machine/erg to Fitbit stats, seems clumsy.
Charles
PS--would there be any interest in looking at some of my "Biking" workouts that are actually "Rowing" workouts? or would you already have access to them on my on line Fitbit dashboard?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Hello @gryphiniii, I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around the Fitbit Community. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for sharing your insight with us about rowing on the Surge. At this moment, our team doesn't have plans to release add this feature in the near fruture. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, our team will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, have a great day. 

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes. If there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply.

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
Marco,
Totally get that updating anything on the Surge is not going to happen, but it does seem that there is enough/significant interest in adding rowing to Fitbit exercises for your latest models would be appropriate.  Also, I was wondering how hard it would be to take the Biking part of the Exercise option, duplicate it, and rename the duplicate Rowing? Surely that would be easy. Thanks for your reply.  I remain disappointed that Fitbit is not interested in supporting the rowing community, either for an on-water rowing option, or a rowing machine rowing option. The workaround of downloading data from the Concept-2 rowing-machine/erg to Fitbit stats, seems clumsy.
Charles
PS--would there be any interest in looking at some of my "Biking" workouts that are actually "Rowing" workouts? or would you already have access to them on my on line Fitbit dashboard?
Best Answer

Hi, I’m a new Charge 3 user and was wondering exactly the same, why no rowing on the exercise feature. Here’s hoping it may be added one day 👍🏻

Best Answer

My frustration with Fitbit software has increased today. I know that rowing can be an exercise choice on Fitbit, but if you do GPS tracking, the map on the results, is eliminated as only running, walking, and biking are allowed choices for GPS. Then I went to Strava this morning to save my workout, and I could quickly change the exercise designation to rowing with a quick scroll through categories. It feels like Fitbit should work the same way. Couldn’t rowing and cross country skiing work just like biking, but with the different label?

Best Answer

Hello @lindsaybm05, thanks for joining the conversation, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community. Thanks for taking the time to reply @gryphiniii, I hope you're doing well. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have come back and voiced your feedback. Our team is constantly striving to improve Fitbit products and services, and we very much appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers.

Please note that when a Feature Suggestion status is changed to ‘Not currently planned’, that doesn’t mean the votes and discussions aren’t important, especially when those few hundred users are very passionate about a feature and propose a compelling argument that would benefit our global community. The cost of developing that suggestion may not be impactful enough to justify investment, especially weighing that against all the other thousands of Feature Suggestions.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding, I hope you have a great day. 

Best Answer

Still frustrated that Fitbit does not deem rowing worthy of investing in.  Also a little frustrated that I accepted a "solution" that was no solution, but a "not-at-this-time". Still I appreciate this feedback, and feel I am not being ignored.  Still wish to emphatically encourage you to modify the Fitbit software to include rowing as a GPS exercise option. 

Best Answer

Hello @gryphiniii, I hope you're doing well, thanks for coming back. Smiley Happy

We're constantly striving to improve Fitbit products and services, and we very much appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers, which is very important that people like you, wanting a new feature, to vote and comment on the suggested ideas, even when one of them has been marked as "Not currently planned", that doesn't mean our team will discard it, however, the idea needs to gather support in order to be considered by our team. 

Thanks again for your understanding, if there's anything else we can do for you, please don't hesitate to reach out. Happy stepping! 

Best Answer

I would also like a rowing option please

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Els196.

Thank you for joining the thread and sharing your feedback. Our team is always working on improving our devices and user experiences, and your comments are always welcome. Feel free to post your idea in our Feature Suggestions board. That way other users can comment and vote on the idea to show their support, and our team can take it into consideration. You can read the FAQ to better understand how that board works and do a search first, in case someone else has already suggested your idea, or something similar.

For more information about tracking your workouts, see How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device?

See you around.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am joining the group with an interest in adding rowing to the app as a GPS choice. The sport can be enjoyed by all ages as it is a low impact sport with a full body workout. We have 85+ year olds in our rowing club. I am perplexed that it would be difficult to add it.  There are resources to leverage or partner with. Stoke coaches track by GPS, count strokes and split times for example. 

Best Answer