Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep stages on Today screen don't match with breakdown

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey,

So when I look at my sleep for the night before in the today dashboard in the app, the stages will read differently then when I click into the sleepy tab and clock on deep and rem so I can see the sleep graph and my 30 day averages.

Ex:

TODAY TAB

Awake: 1h 19m (16%)

REM: 56m (12%)

Light: 4h 40m (57%)

Deep: 1h 13m (15%)

Sleep Dashboard:

Awake: 58m (12%)

REM: 59m (12%)

Light: 4h 58m (61%)

Deep: 1h 13 (15%)

this just started happening in the past week and can some times be way different.

any ideas how to fix this?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

Thanks for getting back with the requested information. I understand how frustrating this has been and appreciate your feedback. Let me share our team has released the 3.68 version of the Fitbit app. If you haven't done so, please go to the App Store and try installing it on your iOS devices.

If by any chance the issue persists afterward, don't hesitate to let me know so I can continue helping you with this situation.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
58 REPLIES 58

Sleep* click*

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm wondering if Charge 5 users have this problem as well.

My "Time Asleep" does NOT equal REM + Light + Deep.   My Time Asleep is always LESS than the three stages added up BUT always more than a combination of any two of them.   So could someone explain what I'm missing? 

Last night Fitbit says I went to sleep at 2:22 am and got up at 10:02 am.  That is 7 hours and 40 minutes.  Fitbit reports I was awake 45 minutes during the night so my sleep time should be 6 hours and 55 minutes. But it is not. Fitbit has it as 6 hours and 37 minutes so 18 minutes are missing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit sense is showing less sleep than what is shown if you add up the deep+ rem+ light sleep stats. Last night it shows 7 hr 48 min of sleep but if you add up the sleep stats its more like 8hr 30min.

The stats for awake also change, in the fitbit today tab it shows 1hr 02min of awake but when you click into the sleep log it changes to 9 min awake. If you base the sleep time on the the today tab it would be correct but the sleep log shows something different so I dont know which is correct

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've noticed the same just recently; two non-consecutive nights where this occurred.  I review my sleep data extensively and have kept track of it by spreadsheet since 2019.  I've never noticed any incorrect addition of sleep stage times until these recent instances.

One night: Time Asleep shown as 5:53. REM = 2:12, Light = 3:02, Deep = 0:46

Several nights later: ime Asleep shown as 5:54. REM = 0:37, Light = 4:52, Deep = 0:47

For the hundreds of nights before, the several nights in between, and the nights since then until present, the three sleep stages add up exactly to the Time Asleep.

Perhaps related or just coincidence: both of those days with the incorrect addition included naps.  To my knowledge, naps have never factored into the Time Asleep for a period of sleep in which stages were calculated (although naps do contribute to cumulative sleep for the entire day).  I've logged hundreds of days with naps and hundreds without.  Regardless of nap or no nap, I've still never seen sleep stages not add up to exactly the "time asleep" until these recent instances.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just checked back to early 2021 and they never did add up. Maybe they don't count REM or Light sleep as full sleep?

This should be an easy explanation for a moderator but I guess they are all too busy with these bricked devices from the new firmware update. Sad. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Could it be a round off issue? There has been no mention of how large the descrpency is. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My stages last night were:

REM 1hr 28

Light 5hr 2

Deep 1hr 13

which when added up gives a total of 7hr 33 mins asleep, yet the total time asleep says 7hr 7mins. What’s going on here?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Check your home page sleep amounts vs your sleep page sleep amounts.  I am betting they’re different.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I noticed for the past few weeks my luxe is showing different stage results on my dashboard vs if I click on the sleep and drill down. For example it’ll show on the dashboard I was a week for 50 minutes and the drill-down view will show 20. All stages have different stats. My son just got a luxe yesterday and has the same issue with his last night. Seems like it’s more of a global issue. Anyone notice this?  

I did open a ticket. The rep asked me to change my sleep setting to sensitive and then sync. Then change it back to normal and sync. Then restart the Fitbit. Now I have to wait and see what happens it just seems like it’s odd just started happening out of nowhere and it’s happening on more than one. 

F8850CFF-9F3F-41F0-8DD1-3318AA5ABA10.png

E144BFDA-A9D8-470A-9CE8-6CD12272A16D.png

Best Answer

As expected the instructions to change sleep mode to sensitive sync the device and then change it back in sync and restart it did not fix the issue. 

I woke up and the views are different from dashboard in detail once again. I was told to upgrade my phone operating system from 15.6 to 15.7. I can’t imagine that it’s going to fix it this is getting rather frustrating. 

my son and I cannot be the only ones experiencing this!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

In the ‘Today’ view of my FitBit app on iOS I can see a summary of last night’s sleep which says my Awake time for today (my latest sleep) was 57 minutes. 

When I tap on that section for more detail and click on today (my latest sleep), it says my Awake time is 27 minutes.

All of the other sleep stage stats (REM, Light, Deep) are incorrect between the two sections as well.

This is happening consistently every single night. I’m certain that I’m looking at the same entry on both the Today view and the detail view because they have the exact same Time Asleep, Sleep Score, and Bedtime/Wakeup times. 

Best Answer

I have a Charge 5 with Premium subscription.  

In my sleep data for a given night, recently the time showing as Awake under Time Asleep does not match the time showing as Awake under Deep and REM. For example, when I look at my data for a given night it will say I was awake for 52 minutes under Time Asleep.  But when I go into Deep and REM it will show I was Awake for only 34 minutes.  The Deep and REM Awake time is always shorter than what is shown under Time Asleep. 

I’m almost certain it didn’t used to do this and this isn’t started happening recently. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel your pain. This has been an active topic in the community for quite a while. It appears to be a direct result of a recent update. Members of the community have mentioned that although the home screens are virtually identical in the database and on the app click on sleep you will notice that there is a difference in the data provided on the app and on the database. Debate moderators have said that they are aware of the product and that the developers are working to fix it but with no encouragement as to when the fix might be available. There is a new update out 3.67 I believe and I do not know whether or not the update has corrected the problem. I am waiting to see if there are any bugs in it that the community might identify before I download and check. So I can’t give you an answer as to whether or not the issue has been corrected but we can keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The app update did not correct the problem. And to be clear, I am having the issue on my old Inspire HR while you’re having it with the Charge 5 so it’s not hardware related. 

Best Answer
Hopefully the information gathered from the community on the many different threads related to sleep time and percents will help the developers to identify where the problems are. I was cautiously hopeful that the new software update would correct the problem but not holding my breath. I am still holding off on loading the most recent update 3.67 based on community comments related to the past two updates. If no new issues are identified in the next month I will probably update the software and see whether or not any of the issues brought up by the community have been addressed.

Sent from my iPhone blind user I am hoping that they have made changes to make the application and dashboard more extensible to those who are blind or have reading disabilities.. never, as much as I want to see if they have a dress accessibility issues I am concerned that my Fitbit might turn into a paperweight. I have dictated this on my iPhone so forgive me for any spelling or continuity errors in this posting. Futon
Best Answer
0 Votes

As expected the iOS upgrade did not fix it. Bummed with the service thus far. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is an issue with the recordings for the different sleep components.  For example today in Time Asleep it says I was awake for 1 hr 14 min with sleep time 7 hours 17. In the Deep and REM option it says I was awake for 57 minutes with total of all other sleep 7 hr 32. 

Best Answer

Good morning, this has been an ongoing problem that has occurred during one of the past couple of updates. There are a number of threads in the community where this issue has been discussed. As of now Fitbit moderators have stated that developers are working on the problem and having been unable to give a date for resolving this issue.

The home screens in both the dashboard and application are virtually identical. However if you click on sleep and look at the underlying screens you should know that they do not match and the data does not answer the question as to which one is correct. We can only hope that the issue will be resolved soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve noticed that the time spent in each sleep stage displayed on the tile summary does not match the time spent in each stage when you select that tile and drill down to the screen that displays the sleep graph.  The sleep score and total time asleep matches between the two views but the amount of time in each sleep stage differs.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  

Best Answer
0 Votes