Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge takes too long to sync with my iPad

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've seen this complaint on Charge HR message board, but I did not see it here.  Sometimes it takes 15 minutes or more to sync my Fitbit Surge with my iPad.  The iPad is connected to the Internet via my home wifi network.  The connection is working for websites and email, so I think it is fine.  However, the sync process gets about 2/3 the way through and then just sits there and finally gives up.  My theory is that the servers on the Fitbit web site are too slow and are overwhelmed with people wanting to sync at the same time (early morning).  For all the complaining on the other message board, I never saw this particular theory.  None of the suggestions offered by support seemed to help them.  I wonder if an upgrade in Fitbit servers is in order--faster computers on their end.  Could this be the problem?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello @JanFits01, thanks for joining us, it's a pleasure for me to welcome you to the Fitbit Community. Smiley Happy

Since when are you experiencing this situation? Have you updated the Fitbit app recently? If so, I would like to suggest checking @HelenaFitbit's excellent tips and recommendations that have been proven very helpful for many members in the Community dealing with the same issue. 

Additionally, I would also like to recommend setting up your Surge as a new device to reset the connection between your tracker and your phone. Don't worry, this won't remove any of the information stored in your account so far. 

To set up your tracker as a new device:

1. Open the Fitbit app and tap on the Account tab at the bottom of the screen, then tap on "Set up a New Device"
  2. Choose your tracker and follow the onscreen instructions to continue
  3. When the app asks you to replace your current tracker, please replace it and continue with the process.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else! Smiley Wink

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Hello @JanFits01, thanks for joining us, it's a pleasure for me to welcome you to the Fitbit Community. Smiley Happy

Since when are you experiencing this situation? Have you updated the Fitbit app recently? If so, I would like to suggest checking @HelenaFitbit's excellent tips and recommendations that have been proven very helpful for many members in the Community dealing with the same issue. 

Additionally, I would also like to recommend setting up your Surge as a new device to reset the connection between your tracker and your phone. Don't worry, this won't remove any of the information stored in your account so far. 

To set up your tracker as a new device:

1. Open the Fitbit app and tap on the Account tab at the bottom of the screen, then tap on "Set up a New Device"
  2. Choose your tracker and follow the onscreen instructions to continue
  3. When the app asks you to replace your current tracker, please replace it and continue with the process.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else! Smiley Wink

Best Answer

Thanks for your help.  I have learned that it is better to open the app and let it sync whenever it is able to, rather than expect it to sync on demand.  So I regularly charge my Surge next to my iPad while the FitBit app is running and it eventually syncs and everything is fine.  I'm not bothered by this issue anymore.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @JanFits01, thanks for taking the time to reply, I hope you're having a great day! Smiley Happy

I'm very glad your tracker is now syncing with the Fitbit app only by waiting a couple of minutes. In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted.

Happy stepping! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is this the same issue of starting a workout at the gym and selecting an exercise on the FitBit Blaze and it takes about a minute for the Fitbit Blaze to find your phone in order to start the tracking?  This is the part I hate about my FitBit Blaze.  My iPhone 6S is on the gym's wi-fi, but it takes a while to get the tracking started.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SunsetRunner, thanks for joining the conversation, it's a pleasure for me to welcome you to the Fitbit Community! Smiley Happy

When you're selecting an exercise in your Blaze, is it possible that you've selected a GPS activity? Those are the ones that connect with your phone in order to mark your path, which is why they take a bit to connect with the phone in order to locate the GPS signal and if you're inside a building, it's possible that it will take longer. I would like to suggest you to select a non-GPS activity, these do not connect with your phone and will be ready to go as soon as you select them. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried to "replace" it, but it still took struggled to connect with it. I even turn off Bluetooth and back on. I even re-pair it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Forgot to mention that I did re-pair it, but when I did it again. It doesn't connect anymore...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Updated and does not fix this ongoing issue. I have given up on syncing my Fitbit bc this takes so dang long every time. What could’ve been a nice feature, is now just a pain in the rear end.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Lol, I wrote something similar although it was nastier than yours and I got a reply from a moderator telling me my remarks didn’t “contribute to the conversation “. My watch also wouldn’t sync when I tried to do it. After hours and hours of frustration I stopped trying, I set up the watch face to show heart rate, steps, etc and didn’t use the app for at least 3 or 4 months. Apparently after several automatic updates it fixed itself. Now I can use the app but if I try to force a sync it still fails or takes forever. It will sync itself if I just leave the app open for a few minutes.
Good luck to you !
Ps,....with so many options out there now I’m not sure I will be buying another Fitbit because it’s such a pain to use sometimes, but maybe .........
Sent from Tams iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes!  Now I find that syncing takes even longer; I haven't used it for a while either and today it's been 20 minutes and I can't sync it.  The app has been "looking" for quite some time now and the watch is sitting right next to my phone.  I'm thinking it's best just to get the Apple watch to sync with my iPhone.  No muss, no fuss.  This Blaze is too painful to use.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No sense even saying keep them automatically synced... Mine is at the 1/2 way mark for the last 10 minutes ...or possibly for a total of 20 minutes, I turned my phone off and re-started. 

Servers might be the answer.

Best Answer
0 Votes