Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking runs as walks

ANSWERED

I have been using Fitbit to track my runs for years now. Just last week I noticed when I use the app and change the activity type from walk to run, after I complete my runs it reverts it back to a walk. First time I thought it was my error but it has been doing this for over a week now. I like using the GPS map to track my runs so I can see the map when I am finished. Anyone else have this issue or a solution to fix it?

Best Answer
132 REPLIES 132

It appears, @bk318 that Google has finally run Fitbit into the ground. It can't even track lap times correctly, in addition to the run-as-walk issue. I created a separate post about the lap time issue several days ago with no response. Below is an example of what I mean (compare average pace to lap times.) Personally I can't afford a new exercise watch at the moment (thanks to a recent layoff, but hey! more time to run amirite?) but when this Fitbit dies, as it surely will, I will not be going back after over 10 years of being a loyal customer. I don't ask for much, but I do ask for the basics. 

IMG_5353.PNG

Best Answer

Sadly I think you are right, the inability to address this significant bug after many months suggests investment and commitment just isn't there.

Shame as I really like my Fitbit but when my subscription expires I think I'll have to go to Garmin.

Best Answer

As a long-time Fitbit user, I'm also very frustrated with the 'all exercises = walk' bug. I truly hope this gets resolved shortly. If it doesn't, I'll be switching to Garmin as well.

Best Answer

So - now it’s recording the run as walking but then changing it to a run. But the GPS is now not working even though I record using GpS on my phone. 
So this now means it doesn’t talk to Strava as this apparently only works with GPS……

What’s going to go wrong next?! 😱

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have submitted multiple complaints over the last 6 months about this and nothing has been fixed. So frustrating. 

Best Answer

Is there any update on this? I actually keep buying Fitbit products because I have years of run tracking in the app. If this feature is gone it is likely time to switch to a product that supports athletic tracking.

Best Answer
I'm not sure this applies, but *my* problem (a Walk marked as a Run), was
easily fixed, and on *my* end! In my Fitbit app, when I start my Exercise,
there's a small drop down for the type of exercise. Once I changed my
choice from Run to Walk, the problem was solved.
-Marty
Best Answer
0 Votes

This isn’t my issue. I have a Sense 2. I always use the menu and choose run and then it records my run as a walk anyway. I have been using a Fitbit to record my runs for years and this hasn’t been a problem until 2024. It’s a software issue not a user error.
Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer

Then you have a Fitbit miracle. Every morning, I try the drop-down menu to log my exercise as a “run”. The app continues to record my run as a walk and has for months. Fitbit has stayed silent.

Best Answer
Sorry. I have an Inspire 2; fairly simple, as they go, I think. Maybe
that's the difference.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The app changes my runs to walks. I have an Inspire 2. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have that choice as well, to choose run as my form of exercise before I start. However, when I’m finished, it shows that it has recorded it as a walk despite my choice from the menu.

Best Answer

Any update on this? It's still a problem.. and honestly just a growing number of frustrations with FitBit lately. I will probably make the switch to Apple Watch or Garmin soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everybody ! Thank you for your messages and feedback ! Our team is still investigating this! In order to continue with their work, for those who haven't shared it lately/yet, could you please  confirm when was the last occurrence of the issue, or when did you last get the activity changed?

And also to everybody, please share your phone model and operating system version it uses. (eg. iPhone 7 , iOS 14.1, etc).

This will help us further with the investigation. The bigger the sample we can get, the better can our team look into this. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer

The last time this happened was today, 5/28/2024 @ 2:27pm Eastern. I went out for a run today - I adjusted "Start Exercise" from Walk to Run and it recorded it as a 4.02 mile walk.

iPhone 11, iOS 17.4.1

Best Answer

The last time this happened was today, 5/28/2024 @ 2:27pm Eastern. I went
out for a run - I adjusted my tracker to Run from Walk and it recorded it
as a 4.02 mile walk.

Moderator edit:  removed personal information

Best Answer

It happened this morning…. and every morning for about 6 months. Ridiculous. 

Best Answer

Today. 
the previous time before that was yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that,…..

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same information as I’ve given each time you’ve asked. iPhone 15, current app version 17.4.1. App has stubbornly recorded runs as walks since beginning of year.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same. Last run was Sunday… but it’s been Every. Single. Time. This year. It’s very frustrating. 

Best Answer
0 Votes