Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking runs as walks

ANSWERED

I have been using Fitbit to track my runs for years now. Just last week I noticed when I use the app and change the activity type from walk to run, after I complete my runs it reverts it back to a walk. First time I thought it was my error but it has been doing this for over a week now. I like using the GPS map to track my runs so I can see the map when I am finished. Anyone else have this issue or a solution to fix it?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everybody ! Thank you for  your messages and information. I've merged all the messages related to this topic, so that everyone gets the updates at the same time. 

Our team was informed and they are looking into this. They'll work on a solution afterwards. 
I'll be updating this thread as soon as I get more information. 

We appreciate your patience during the investigation. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
93 REPLIES 93

I have been using the fitbit app to track my running. I click on the plus sign to add exercise. I then select ‘run’ as the app default is ‘walk’. I press the red ‘start’ arrow and off I go. Once completed, I stop the recording and look to see how well I’ve done. The app has registered that the exercise was categorised as a walk. Why?? Im running 10k in one hour so its not as if Im going at a walking pace. Why is the app not retaining my selected exercise but is returning to the default type? 

Best Answer

@Willnevie   You are using a very old feature that Fitbit calls MobileRun.  I don't know why it it isn't saving it correctly.  But I can say that Fitbit probably won't fix it.  Issues on very old features get little or no priority for repair.  MobileRun can give you voice cues and some people like the voice cues over the vibration cues you can get on your Sense 2.  If I remember correctly, you don't get a heart rate trace in the exercise details when you use MobileRun.  You will get more details if you use the Exercise app on your Sense 2 with the Run shortcut.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I’m having the same issue. I can’t seem to find a fix.

Best Answer

I have exactly the same issue, it’s driving me crazy. Like you I thought it was me initially but it definitely changes the run to a walk by itself. 😠

Best Answer

Prova a vedere se è da aggiornare l'app, oppure reinstallare l'app , può essere un bug

Best Answer

Hi there,

I go running every day however in the past few months when I start to track my activity (on my iPhone Fitbit app) I select run and start activity, however when I finish my run it has recorded as a walk…I have updated the app but no difference.
Seperately, previously I used to be able to share my GPS route to instagram but now the sharing to social is no longer available - is this gone for good?

Appreciate any advice! 

Best Answer

Hi. Sadly no answer but that is exactly what’s happening for me!

Best Answer

@MazaRose @VeraCas , Welcome to the community! Thank you for your messages .

It appears that you both have MobileTrack on.

This feature uses the phone's sensors to count steps. This is for when you have left your Fitbit at home (e.g. while charging). Please make sure MobileTrack is not activated.
It may happen that the steps recorded with the cell phone overwrite those of the Inspire HR.

In the Fitbit app, tap the devices icon (top left corner).
There you will see the devices linked to your account.
If you see the Mobile Device Active option, tap it and remove it from the account.

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanFitbit   These users are using MobileRun, not MobileTrack.  Fitbit's original MobileRun announcement from 2014.  The only options are walk, run, and hike.   I took a few short walks in my neighborhood.  Three trips around the block, each using a different activity.  They are all recorded in the Fitbit app as walks.

Some runners still like MobileRun, because it can give you voice cues.  I helped other users by advising them to use the Exercise app on their device.

MobileTrack doesn't give a GPS map, described by @MazaRose.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@LZeeW , Thank you for your comment. 

It seems that using MobileTrack also overwrites the activities recorded with MobileRun. 
That's why I recommended to verify if Mobiletrack was on to avoid this and the missing GPS data. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Using my iPhone (updated to the latest version) and the Fitbit app (updated to the latest version), I set it to track / record a run. But it saved as a walk instead. I was most definitely running and not walking. I am not able to go in and change / update the exercise type to a run. This has happened multiple times. I've restarted the device.
Best Answer

same issue for a few weeks 

got in touch with support who told me needed update, did that and just got back from a run after setting it to track, once home it’s changed it back to walk again ? Has anyone managed to fix this? 

Best Answer

I have the same problem every time. It’s a massive nuisance, there used to be a work around to edit it as a run, but that does not work either now.  

Really want a fix to this bug, and the option to edit the activity type after a workout 

Best Answer

unnamed.jpg

When completing a tracked run through the app, the exercise type is being changed (this was originally logged as a run but was changed to a walk) and the average pace is not being calculated correctly (this run should be an average of 11:23/mile, not 12:41).

I have reinstalled the app, restarted my phone, and it keeps happening. What is the point of owning a Fitbit and using the app if basic functions don't work correctly? It seems like when one issue is resolved, another comes back up. Fitbit used to be so good. I honestly hate it right now. 

Best Answer

This happens to me every time too and not able to recategorize it. SO FRUSTRATING!!

Best Answer

Wasted ages on the chat with fit bit who kind of pretend that I’m the only one to report this and another and promise an email follow up that doesn’t come. 

the standards have dropped massively. For the first time since trackers came out I’m thinking of going to a different brand. 

Best Answer

Whenever I track a run it’s always logged as a walk. Tried tracking as a hike and that was logged as a walk too. And there’s no editing to correctly recategorise the completed run. Thanks. 

Best Answer

when I track a run, the app records it as a walk

Best Answer

Same here

Best Answer