Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking runs as walks

ANSWERED

I have been using Fitbit to track my runs for years now. Just last week I noticed when I use the app and change the activity type from walk to run, after I complete my runs it reverts it back to a walk. First time I thought it was my error but it has been doing this for over a week now. I like using the GPS map to track my runs so I can see the map when I am finished. Anyone else have this issue or a solution to fix it?

Best Answer
93 REPLIES 93

Any progress? This has been going on for a few months now and nothing has changed 

-

This has been going on for 3 months now? Surely there must be someone who can get this fixed by how

Best Answer

I agree. This frustrating; the glitch itself and the lack of action on the fix. 

Best Answer

Has this been fixed it? It has been going on for most of 2024! When will this be resolved?

Best Answer

@JuanFitbit What's the update? It's been nearly a month since you said you'd be informing people of the fix.

Best Answer

Juan,

I see that this glitch was first reported in January and it’s now March. Has there been any movement towards fixing this problem? I’ve been a Fitbit user for 6 years and I’m about to start my training season (running season) and this glitch not being fixed may result in my moving to Garmin or another product but I had been hoping I would not have to do that…

Best Answer

I’m having the same issue. I’m an avid hiker, I want to save my hike, not my walk. 

Best Answer

Any update? I've started using Strava in the mean time and I may just resort to getting a different device. 

Best Answer

Thank you. Looking at the settings I didn't even have Walk enabled on my exercise shortcuts. I added it and made sure it was below Run (which was at top already). Then I also turned on the Laps option so I'll see how that works out. Thanks for the tips but still looking for the software correction from Fitbit. 

Best Answer

So as I’m beginning to understand this, 

walks = walks 

runs = walks 

hikes = walks 

So is it the Fitbit app = a walking app?

Best Answer

I am having the same problem—the app is logging all my runs as walks—even though I select run in the exercise menu when I start. I checked and noticed that it has also changed all my past runs to walks for as far back as I can see!  I also noticed that, weirdly, it tracks me at a slower pace than I’m actually going (I guess because it thinks I’m walking?), even though I’m going the same distance for the same period of time as I normally go. My sole purpose of having a Fitbit and using the app is to track my runs. So u fortunately I’ll have no reason to keep either if this issue continues. Please fix this ASAP so I don’t have to get an Apple Watch.

Best Answer

@mcw53 Good idea, but unfortunately this didn’t fix the problem for me. I’ve had Run at the top of my exercise shortcuts all along, and it still logs them all as walks. 

Best Answer

This is my situation exactly. My phone already tracks my steps, I don’t need a Fitbit for that. I want to use it to track my runs as part of my training. If my device doesn’t do it properly, then why keep using it? If a fix doesn’t come soon, I will be moving on to an Apple Watch. 

Best Answer

Hi everybody ! Thank you for  your messages and information.

Our team was informed and they are looking into this. They'll work on a solution afterwards. 
I'll be updating this thread as soon as I get more information. 

Just to clarify, the post marked as Best Answer is for everyone else who visits the thread, knows easier that we are aware and working on this. 

We appreciate your patience during the investigation. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just don’t understand this message. What does ‘they’ll work on it afterwards’ mean? It’s two months on since reporting the issue. No progress has been made at all. I won’t be renewing my subscription. So frustrated. 

Best Answer

How long will this take to fix?

Best Answer

Hi everyone! Thank you for your messages and feedback.

As mentioned our team is investigating what is causing this issue. 
To move forward with the investigation we'll need some information from all of you. 

Could you please reply with the following:

• Your phone model (eg. iPhone 13, iPhone 12 Max, etc)
  • iOS Version installed (eg. iOS 17.1, 16.7.7, etc)

We appreciate your collaboration. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer

iphone SE

ios 17.3.1

Best Answer

I am just returning my Fitbit and got a Garmin. I have loved my Fitbits since 2020, but this is just basic functionality. I need a watch that tracks runs and walks separately. I ordered a new Fitbit thinking that would fix the issue, but since it didn't I decided to return it. The fact this has been going on for months without being resolved is absurd. Makes me think Fitbit just doesn't care (or that Google just wants us to all buy Google watches now that it owns Fitbit).

Best Answer

I’ve been thinking the same. Only today have we been asked type of phone and iOS number- surely these questions should have been asked several months ago!….

Best Answer

It seems they are working on a fix but it has been this way for at least a month for me. The app used to let you change the workout to run but now they don’t. I would use my Charge 5 to track me (it uses GPS) but it won’t announce splits or intervals as you run. This is frustrating and I feel you in this one!!

Best Answer