Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking runs as walks

ANSWERED

I have been using Fitbit to track my runs for years now. Just last week I noticed when I use the app and change the activity type from walk to run, after I complete my runs it reverts it back to a walk. First time I thought it was my error but it has been doing this for over a week now. I like using the GPS map to track my runs so I can see the map when I am finished. Anyone else have this issue or a solution to fix it?

Best Answer
93 REPLIES 93

Exactly the same. So annoying. 

Best Answer

I tried it by setting both Versa 4 to run & opened app on phone also set to run.  When I got home the app recorded it as a walk & the versa4 a run (so ended up with 2 logs slightly different mileage??) I deleted the walk.  So I’m guessing if using the setting on the device it will log correct but still not sure why the iPhone apps not able to do it.

Best Answer

I’m having the same problem. Have repeatedly uninstalled, removed and put back Bluetooth, shut the phone down and nothing works!

Best Answer

@FltBitIsRubbish   It sounds like you are using the Fitbit app to track your runs.  Are you tapping on the green "+" sign, then Start exercise in the Track live section?  Other users are reporting this.  Please use the Exercise app on your Charge 5 with the Run shortcut.  I don't think Fitbit will fix this problem.  This is an older feature, one that I needed for my One and Charge HR.  I don't understand why Fitbit put it in such a prominent place on the app, since all current models have an Exercise app.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi everybody ! Thank you for  your messages and information. I've merged all the messages related to this topic, so that everyone gets the updates at the same time. 

Our team was informed and they are looking into this. They'll work on a solution afterwards. 
I'll be updating this thread as soon as I get more information. 

We appreciate your patience during the investigation. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer

So glad it’s not just me! I look forward to the issue being resolved…

Best Answer

I am waiting for Fitbit to fix my Charge Six so I’ve been using the phone app without a tracker. I have that same problem. Fitbit even records runs I do on other apps as walks. This bug on top of the messed up tracker is really reducing my desire to remain a Fitbit customer. 

Best Answer

I think I will do the same. Just been for a run, used the Fitbit as well as the app (app so I know how I’m running) and the app has overridden the Fitbit so it’s recorded the run as a walk! So like you I think it’s time to give up Fitbit and go for a different brand 

Best Answer

Thanks for reviewing and acknowledging this problem. It has started happening to me in the last couple months and I thought I was alone. Just trying to start standard run activity from the IOS app, switch from type of activity Walk to Run, start, and I don't get any voice cues because it has already reverted back to walk. If I launch it from the Charge 5 app it tracks the run properly but I am not getting the distance queues which I really need.. Why is this question marked as solved if there is no solution yet? I have tried uninstalling app, forgetting device, reinstalling app, re-pairing device, and re-logging into app after changing settings, etc. Thank you again and looking forward to an update to resolve the issue. 

Best Answer

Hey @mrbean111 

I have a Charge4 and experienced the same thing when I start the activity from the iOS app. What I believe is happening is the iOS app is ignoring your selection and reverting to the default activity (i.e. your 1st activity shortcut). Try changing the order of your activity shortcuts (i.e. move Run to the top). Also, if you maintain the lap information for your Run and Walk activities you will get notifications (split pace) on your fitbit if you start the activity from the exercise app on your fitbit. Not as nice as the voice cues, but useful. $fitbit28.jpg

Best Answer

Absolutely!  All our work is in vain.  This goes out, I am done with Fitbit..

Best Answer

@LZeeW What do you mean by use the exercise app on their device? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kaymc79   What model Fitbit do you use?  I looked at your public profile and can see that you joined Fitbit in 2019.  The Alta and Alta HR don't have an Exercise app on the Fitbit.  Every Fitbit released after the Alta HR has an Exercise app on the Fitbit.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

@LZeeW I have a FitBit luxe. Do you mean start the exercise from the fitbit itself as compared to from a phone? I've done that with the same result of a run being recorded as a walk.

Best Answer

@Mdday   I don't know why that it happening to you.  I never had that experience in eight years of having a Fitbit with an Exercise app on the device.  I'll try a run with my Luxe and see if the same thing happens to me.

@mcw53  You made an interesting observation, but I don't think that is the issue.  I did laps around my neighborhood to reproduce the issue.  Fitbit's newer devices don't have Exercise shortcuts on the app.  All shortcuts are on the Fitbit.  The last shortcut I used is Spinning.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any updates on fixing this problem, Juan? You posted your commitment to report back in February.

Best Answer

Hi everyone! Thank you for your messages, information and the screenshots shared. 

Our team is still investigating what is causing the change of the classification. I haven't received any info yet, but requested an update. 
Hopefully it'll get solved or get more info to share with you all. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue. Started doing this quite a while ago. 

Best Answer

Also eagerly awaiting a fix for this bug

Best Answer

Having the exact same issue. Started a few weeks ago. There used to be the ability to edit the activity and recategorize it, but not anymore.

Best Answer