Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off “Enable location services” prompt

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Every time I go to the Fitbit app on my iPhone, I get a prompt asking me to “Enable location services”. I’m quite capable of turning on location services for gps tracking of exercise when I wish to, thank you very much.

It only started happening with the most recent app update and I find this “pop-up” to be very annoying and intrusive. I most certainly don’t want to see it every flippin’ time I go to the app.

Is there a way to disable it?

Best Answer
145 REPLIES 145

Just started getting this today. Every time I open the app it asks me AGAIN despite me having settings as "use GPS while using". Make it stop!!!

Best Answer

I have been on this thread for a long time. FB made a comment they will look into it but do nothing. The latest firmware will not fix the issue.

I have a charge 4, the only work around is :

after you use the app close it completely and don’t let it stay open in the background. When reopen it ,it will not ask to enable location 

honestly I don’t think FB care and they will for sure see people move away from their product 

Good luck 

Best Answer

Thanks, I'll try that.

I only got this pop up today after foolishly trying to map a walk today out of curiosity using the GPS for the first time in a long time. Now the pop up won't stop popping up regardless of the setting. (Never, only when using, yes, etc.) It's so infuriating and I've had a lot of issues with my Charge 4 but this might be what really pushes me to look at Apple. Fitbit needs to really fix this!

Best Answer

I have the same issue. Cannot switch off the pop up message. I've just finished chatting with the fitbit support.. no luck so far but they will escalate the issue to their 'high support' and will email me the fix, I hope. 

Best Answer

Please post their response. I am pretty sure they won’t fix it haha

Best Answer

I am new to Fitbit and having this same issue. I don’t need this app tracking me and draining my phone battery all day, and it’s pretty annoying seeing that “allow location access” message every time I look at the app. I will not be giving any more money to Fitbit until they fix this. If it’s not fixed by upgrade time, I’ll be happy to get an Apple Watch next time around.

Best Answer
I have been battling this for months. Fitbit could fix this if they wanted to. Every time I see that request, I close the app and re-open it, then the message doesn’t come on for a while.

I have already decided that this is my last Fitbit - I am so tired of this invasion of my privacy and total hassle that I’m going to an apple watch.
Best Answer

Add me to the group who are done with Fitbit. I’ve had several over the years, but you’re losing me as a customer over this incessant pop up and refusal to honor your customers’ choices. 

Best Answer

And this thread was started in feb 2019… AND NOTHING has been done by FB or Google the new owners… 

I love my FB but this invasion of privacy WILL make me move to a company that respects our privacy rights 

Best Answer

This just started happening to me a couple of days ago. I’ve been using Fitbit for 5 years or so and had zero intention of switching. But because of this and no solution, I’m moving to Apple Watch with zero regrets. This is just stupid Fitbit. 

Best Answer

This is still happening!  It is SO annoying!  Fix it FITBIT!!   Geez! 

Best Answer

I've just kinda gotten used to it and routinely tap "no thanks" every time I open the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just a quick update to my post a few days ago regarding thia incredibly annoying issue. 

Purchased an Apple Watch SE. Love it. You lost a loyal customer of many years over this problem, Fitbit.

Good luck with this issue everyone!

Best Answer

I am also leaving Fitbit for this one issue. AW SE for me. 

Best Answer

Good luck and you are not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd and still FB will lose customers and do nothing because infringing on your privacy means more ! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I deleted and reinstalled the app to try to solve another problem (didn’t work) and now I keep getting this pop up too. I tried a bunch of suggestions from this thread to no avail.

Then I clicked „open settings“ on the annoying pop-up, and in those settings selected „ask next time“ instead of „while using“ or „never“ cos I hadn’t tried that one before. Worth a shot to see what happens.

When I opened the app again, I got the iPhone authorisation request for location tracking. I selected „while using“ and the pop-up has stopped. I’ve turned the app off and on a few times and the pop-up hasn’t reappeared. 🎉🤞

Best Answer
0 Votes
I appreciate your comments and that may stop the pop-up from coming, but then it allows location services whenever I’m using the app which is the whole thing I am trying to avoid.

I don’t want location services enabled whenever on using the app. I don’t want location services enabled EVER!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
What about selecting „ask next time“ then when you open the app and get the phone authorisation, selecting „never“? I’m thinking this phone authorisation might override the app‘s requests.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately it didn't work. And I think nothing will work unless they change their system. The notification is not from iphone. It’s part of the app it self. It will keep showing up as long as the location service is not set to always. The only way to not seeing it is to close the app every time you finish using it. If the app stays in the background, and you open it again, POP, the notification appears again. It’s just like they are nagging at you every time. Change to always change to always, change to always. Well, I’m not changing to always and I’m leaving Fitbit very soon after almost 5 years loyal costumer. I guess knowing where you are and what you do all the time is more profitable than costumers leaving them.   

Best Answer
I agree totally - they are undoubtedly being paid by someone to get the location services and they are putting $ ahead of users. I too have had a Fitbit for 4-5 years and this is my last one - when it dies I’m going to an Apple Watch.
Best Answer