Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add friends and friend request section has disappeared.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have tried repeatedly to fix this problem. I have followed what Fitbit has recommended (log out, force close app, turn off bluetooth, restart phone, turn on bluetooth and log back in) to absolutely no avail. Features are slowly disappearing from the app. It’s as if I’m watching it slowly delete itself. 

First off, I can no longer accept friend requests from the iOS app. The section has just completely and utterly disappeared. It’s not there anymore. And yes, I know there’s a workaround by logging into your dashboard from a web browser but come on. That’s not fixing the issue, is it? 

Secondly I can no longer add friends either. And I don’t mean via email, contacts, or Facebook. I mean by going directly to the persons profile from the community tab and clicking “add friend”. The button turns grey and then returns to “add friend” as if I never pressed it. The friend request never sends regardless of how many times I press it. 

And last but not least, I don’t think anyone can request to add me to challenges anymore because I haven’t had a request to join any in months.

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fixed it myself by creating a new account since you don’t seem to be listening to a word I’m saying. 

1. Having friend request notifications turned on or off DOES NOT make an ounce of difference. I can receive notifications just fine. It doesn’t change the fact that the friend request section has disappeared and will not show up no matter what I do.

2. I have had my other half friend request me via Facebook, email, and through the community just by going to my profile. I do not receive ANY friend requests. Regardless of how they are sent. They just do not appear in the app because as I keep saying, the friend request section on that particular account is GONE. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Hi @SunsetRunner. I just relied sending you a friend request. Please let me know if you get it. You’ve done a good job troubleshooting. Which iPhone do you have? One thing you may not have tried is making sure your iPhone iOS and your Fitbit apps are at the latest versions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SunsetRunner, thanks for joining the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. It's great to see you too @SunsetRunner, thanks for all your help. Smiley Happy

@SunsetRunner, I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for sharing your experience with friend invites in the Fitbit app. I would also like to thank you for mentioning all the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. 

At this moment I would like to suggest you to go to the Fitbit app and tap on Account > Notifications and make sure that "Friend Requests" and "Challenges" are enabled. After that, I would like to ask you for a screenshot of what you're able to see when trying to add a friend from the Fitbit app. This will be very helpful for us to check this further. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, we'll be waiting to hear from you.

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

I can assure you my iPhone is up to date and so is the Fitbit app.

UPDATE:

It does not make an ounce of difference whether the notifications are turned on or not. The friend request section is gone. I cannot see, accept or ignore friend requests from the iOS app because it isn’t there anymore. The section has completely disappeared. Clicking a notification doesn’t change that or make it magically reappear. 

As for adding friends. I have already explained what happens and what I see when I try to add someone. There is no point me adding a screenshot as it will not show the problem. All you will see is a screenshot of someone’s profile and the “add friend” button as if I haven’t pressed it. 

Best Answer

I have exact same issue in adding friends. I click add and nothing happens. I don’t have your other issues, just that one and I know what you mean, you can’t post a screenshot because it wouldn’t show anything. I have tried all the same things you have as well to cure problem. Only solution I’ve heard works is to start a whole new profile which I’m not prepared to do at this point. 

Best Answer

@Zvanex I’ve tried to start a whole new profile and the problem persists on that account as well (can’t add friends and can’t see the friend request section). No idea what’s happening. I’ve even tried both accounts on two different phones and it doesn’t make a difference. No idea what to do at this point honestly. The community, making friends and doing challenges was a big part of the app, without any of that it’s just boring and there’s no incentive to even open the app anymore. 

Best Answer

Hello @SunsetRunner, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. It's nice to see you too @Zvanex, thanks for joining the conversation. Smiley Happy

@Zvanex, I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for reporting this situation to us. Are you having trouble accepting a friend request or sending one? Note that when you send one, you don't get a notification an invite has been sent, your friend should be able to receive an email and/or a notification on their phone. 

@SunsetRunner, would it be possible for you to reply with a screenshot of what you're able to see when you tap on the "Community" tab on the menu of the app? Are you able to see the "Friends" tab on the top? 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, we'll be waiting to hear from you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally understand what you’re saying!  I at least can see the community and friends section and can accept most requests when they come I just can’t invite anyone myself. I’m sorry you’re having so much trouble the community is the entire key to Fitbit. 

Best Answer

Do you actually take the time to read what people have written @MarcoGFitbit? Or is this just a standard copy and paste reply. Because that’s what it seems like to me... You have yet to address the problem or tell us what’s going on or if there is even anything we can do to fix it. 

As for sending a friend request to someone from their profile on the community, you do actually see whether the friend request was sent (or not) by the button changing to grey and it saying “request sent”. 

As as for your reply to me. I don’t understand in the slightest what this has got to do with not being able to see friend requests from the notification section of the app? The two tabs are completely different... And obviously the friend requests are supposed to be in the notifications section, above messages. However, as I have said (quite a few times) the friend request section has GONE. It has completely disappeared and I can no longer accept or ignore ANY friend requests from the iOS app.

I’d also like to point out that’s I know exactly where the friend requests should be and how the app works, I have been on it for well over a year. 

UPDATE:

As you have requested screenshot after screenshot. This is what I see when I go to accept friend requests. NOTHING. Because the section isn’t there anymore. Except you can’t see the problem, it just looks as if I haven’t got any requests...

D396D2D4-7E4A-42F2-A26F-172511845D04.jpeg

Best Answer

Hello @SunsetRunner, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply with the information and the screenshot requested. Smiley Happy

At this moment, I would like to suggest you to try the following steps in the Fitbit app in order:

1. Force-quit the app, then open it again.
  2. Go to Account > Notifications and check that "Friend Requests" is enabled. If it is, disable it and force-quit the app again. 
  3. Open the app, go back to Account > Notifications and enable "Friend Requests" again.
  4. Have one of your contacts that it's not currently your friend send you an invite through the Fitbit app. You should receive a Notification and the Friend Request should appear under the "Messages" tab. 

If you're still unable to receive friend requests, please reply to me with the following information so I can forward it to our team:

• iPhone model you're currently using. 
  • OS version running on your phone.
  • App version installed on your phone (go to Account > Help to get it)

Our team will be able to check this situation further with the information requested. Thanks for your patience and understanding, we'll be waiting to hear from you. 

Best Answer

Fixed it myself by creating a new account since you don’t seem to be listening to a word I’m saying. 

1. Having friend request notifications turned on or off DOES NOT make an ounce of difference. I can receive notifications just fine. It doesn’t change the fact that the friend request section has disappeared and will not show up no matter what I do.

2. I have had my other half friend request me via Facebook, email, and through the community just by going to my profile. I do not receive ANY friend requests. Regardless of how they are sent. They just do not appear in the app because as I keep saying, the friend request section on that particular account is GONE. 

Best Answer