Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get Sleep Stages.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is anyone else having trouble with the sleep recording? It’s not showing the different levels! This has happened before and I reset and then it worked, but not this time! I don’t like the solid blue bars!

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject + Format.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Kateevcom, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply and add a screenshot to your post. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have come back and let us know you've already tried the troubleshooting steps described in my previous post. At this moment, I would like to suggest you to restart your Fitbit device, then, monitor it for the next night, wearing it a bit above your wrist where you normally use it. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and let us know the outcome. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
20 REPLIES 20

I'm having the same problem. My heart rate is recorded all night and I had 8 hrs sleep last night and 6.5 the night before but I'm getting simplified sleep details both times.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Kateevcom, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community. It's nice to see you around too @Kandee, I hope you're doing well. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for sharing your experience with us. I appreciate you have also let us know your device is recording heart rate accurately during the night. Please note that the Fitbit app currently has in-app error notifications that provide an explanation for why you aren't receiving Sleep Stages on any given night. This is meant to provide insight into what might be occurring to cause this.The error messages are the following:

1. We need more than 3 hours of sleep to reliably calculate your sleep stages. Learn more
  2. Your tracker couldn't get a consistent heart rate reading while you slept. Learn more 
  3. We couldn’t generate sleep stages for this sleep. Please try again tomorrow. Learn more

When you tap on Learn more, you will be able to get more information about why your tracker didn't record sleep stages. Additionally, I'd like to suggest the following:

• For any of the nights you were expecting to see Sleep Stages, did you ever click on the "Begin Sleep Now" or "Add Sleep Log" functions within the Fitbit App?
    • This is important to note because your tracker uses auto-detection to track Sleep Stages; so there's no need to try and remember to click on anything before falling asleep! 
  • Do you have at least 3 consecutive hours of sleep?
    • This is important to note because you typically won't see sleep stages if you are waking up multiple times through out the night or taking short naps.
  • Your tracker's battery isn't at a critically low level prior to falling asleep.
  • Your device is tracking and syncing heart rate data.
    • This is important because Sleep Stages uses a combination of your movement and heart-rate patterns. 
  • Your Fitbit App is updated to the latest version.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi and thanks for the response. Before writing on this forum, I checked all of the above. My heart rate is being recorded all night as far as I can see. I've had more than 6 hours sleep every night. I have the latest version of the app. I haven't used the "Begin Sleep Now" or "Add Sleep Log" functions.

The advice on the app is that the tracker couldn't get a consistent heart rate but it looks pretty consistent to me. See photo.

There was an ios update very recently. I can't help wondering whether it may be related to that.

Any more advice would be helpful. This has happened 3 nights in a row now and the battery was never critically low.

IMG_4975.PNG

Best Answer

Hello @Kateevcom, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply and add a screenshot to your post. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have come back and let us know you've already tried the troubleshooting steps described in my previous post. At this moment, I would like to suggest you to restart your Fitbit device, then, monitor it for the next night, wearing it a bit above your wrist where you normally use it. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and let us know the outcome. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Marco: I've recently seen the same and have gone through the recommended resets. This appears to have been an issue back in 2017 (searching older threads). The Ap will display sleep stages in the morning but if I remove the device for any length of time, it interpretes that as sleep and adds the time to the Morning reading which then erases the sleep stages to simplified sleep patterns. This issue surfaced 3 days ago.

Best Answer

Hello again Marco,

Your solution didn't solve the problem I'm afraid. I've tried restarting 3 times. Strangely, one day out of the last 9 gave me sleep stages (day 6) despite no difference in how I've worn it and with heart rate tracking all night. Here's a screen shot of the last few days and of last night's heart rate which, again, looks continuous.

IMG_5029.PNGIMG_5030.PNG

Any other ideas?

Best Answer

C78FBFAA-D961-45FC-B25F-B104FBA643D6.png

85BB0740-238A-4836-B3B5-EBF0F50B08AA.png

Hoping these screenshots help. Let me know if you need further explanation 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SunsetRunner and @Kateevcom, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply with the screenshots requested. Smiley Happy

At this moment, I'll forward all the information you have provided to our team so they can take a better look at this situation. Thanks for adding screenshots, these will be very useful. Once we have more to share with you about this situation, we'll make sure to post it here in the Official Forums. 

In the meantime, please clean the back of your Versa, where the sensor is located, before placing it on your wrist at night, then let us know if anything changes. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, have a great day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Marco: I’m curious. How does cleaning contact points on the back of the device affect how sleep is captured? The issue I reported shows readings are combined when the device is removed. The first screenshot shows sleep began at 2:15 and ended at 10:18. Hours later, After removing the device, sleep was extended ending at 19:53.  I don’t see the connection where cleaning the contact points would affect this feature 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine's an Alta HR, but will do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Forgot to mention my device is a Charge 2. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SunsetRunner and @Kateevcom, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have come back and posted your question. Please note that we recommend cleaning the sensors in the back because that way, you will remove any sweat residue on it and the device will have a better heart rate reading. Have you tried the recommendation in the past few nights? If so, let us know how it goes and if you're still having trouble, we'll be happy to help. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, have a great day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Marco:  I don't think we're on the same page. My issue is not with heart rate readings ( which cleaning the contacts could have an effect) but sleep tracking. The question is why does the device interpret non-activity as Sleep when it is NOT WORN? I thought my screen shots made that clear.  Let me recap:

Per the screenshot, it shows the device tracked sleep between 2:15 through 10:18. I REMOVED the device for the day and found when the APP recycled, it showed sleep between 2:15 through 19:53 -- that is an additional 9 hours and 35 minutes when the device was not worn. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Marco,

I've already cleaned it. And the probelm isn't heart rate tracking as my last screenshot showed. You can see it tracks continuously all night (and all day and all the time!). That's why I posted it. The problem is that it the app says that it didn't and that's why I'm getting simplified sleep. Wasn't I clear about this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Marco: today’s example of the device logging 2 hours and 14 minutes as sleep when the device was NOT being worn. Interestingly, this is logged as a separate event ‘vs’ added onto the morning reading. This calls into question daily averages and historical aggregate data. Any ideas?

58F72FF8-EF3B-44B3-B19E-E93CF3959DC1.jpeg

Please let me know if you have any questions 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Marco: An additional screenshot to show another anomaly. The added 1.6 hours was when the device was charging. What is going on? If these screenshots are not helpful please let me know.

99E2FBF3-2F90-44F3-9C42-1AD743A965A2.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SunsetRunner and @Kandee, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

I sincerely apologize for the delay in the response, @SunsetRunner, thanks for attaching some screenshots to your posts, they're very useful and I have already forwarded them to our team so they can take a better look at this situation. Once we have more information about this issue affecting Sleep logs, we'll make sure to post it here in the official Forums. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, I hope you have a great day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

My alta hr stopped working completely on 9th March so the problem with sleep recording was obviously an early sign of a bigger problem. However, Fitbit support are providing me with a replacement which is very much appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to hear your device completely stopped functioning but I am happy that Fitbit came  through with a replacement. 

Best Answer
0 Votes