Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't sync without wifi

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I have been trying to sync my tracker with my app and it won't sync unless there is wifi. It also hasnt logged any steps without me having wifi or since I've updated. It keeps saying I have less steps then I have take. I don't know what to do?! Help!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @LaurenEM , the way the Fitbit program is designed, you do need to have internet connection in order to sync.  There isn't anything you are dong wrong -- that's just the way it works.  Once you have synced, your dashboard should update with all your steps, although sometimes it can take a little while for the information to update across all areas.

I hope this helps!  Welcome to the Community!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
56 REPLIES 56

Hi, @LaurenEM , the way the Fitbit program is designed, you do need to have internet connection in order to sync.  There isn't anything you are dong wrong -- that's just the way it works.  Once you have synced, your dashboard should update with all your steps, although sometimes it can take a little while for the information to update across all areas.

I hope this helps!  Welcome to the Community!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

This is less than ideal. We're paired to our mobile device already through Bluetooth. If we're using the mobile app, we don't necessarily care if the web-based dashboard is continually updated. Many people turn off WiFi on our mobile phone when we are out and about to save battery power. This design means we won't see any of our fitbit progress until we get home for the day and reconnect to WiFi. Ideally, the phone app would sync in real-time (or even on a user changeable time interval) over the Bluetooth connection, and it would update the online dashboard whenever Internet connectivity is restored.  

Fitbit is a cool idea, let's help make it better through feedback. Fitbit: Please consider this a feature change suggestion for the mobile app development cycle. - Paying customer

Best Answer

UPDATE: I failed to mention my cellular data is always on, which is why I couldn't understand why WiFi was required. I should already have Internet connectivity through the cellular network. The app would not sync though. Out of curiosity, I just turned on WiFi on my iPhone (but did not sign into a hotspot to connect to the Internet). I switched back to the fitbit app and it started syncing. I went back into settings and turned WiFi back off, and again went back to the fitbit app. It is now syncing with my fitbit Surge with my WiFi turned off. I'm sure it's using data, but that's fine with me. 

Again:

Cellular Data: On (normal for most people)

If the app is not syncing with the fitbit

1. Go to settings->WiFi, and turn on WiFi

2. Switch to fitbit app and see if it is syncing

3. Once it syncs, you can turn WiFi back off. 

4. For me, the app works as expected now. WiFi is OFF, cellular data is ON, and my fitbit syncs. 

Best Answer

I have been a long-time Fitbit user, but only for the past 6 months have been having this same issue with my cellular internet connection not being sufficient for the app to sync with my Fitbit. Only wifi connection works for syncing. I tried your method of connecting through wifi, syncing, and then turn off wifi,but this does not work for me. So, when I am out walking or jogging, I cannot sync until I connect through wifi. This is somewhat irritating and I really need a fix for this. Any other suggestions?

Best Answer

Hello @DLovely, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community, I hope you're having a great day! Smiley Happy

This seems like a very odd situation, the Fitbit app does not require a large amount of data to sync with our servers, it just requires an internet connection, whether it's from WiFi or cellular data. If you have updated the Fitbit app to the latest version (released on April 25th), check if your device is compatible. If it is, please try the following:

• Force-close the app by double tapping the home button and swiping up the app.
  • Log out from the app, restart your phone and log back in. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and feel free to reply in case you're still not able to sync only using cellular data. If you're getting any kind of error, please take a screenshot and reply with it. Additionally, if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted! 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
Thank you so much for your reply and suggestion. On more than one occasion, I have completely uninstalled the app, reinstalled, restarted my phone, and as of a few days ago it now appears to be an "irregular" issue with my Fitbit not syncing. It has occurred several times within the same day (when I am not connected via wifi) that the app indicates no internet connection, but then I may check later and the message is not there and the app is able to sync with my device. I haven't figured it out. It appears to work whenever it feels like it. But thank you again for responding.

Darlene Lovely
Best Answer
0 Votes

So again, just after replying to your message, my app again says "no Internet connection". I am connected via my cellular provider and not via wifi.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @DLovely, I hope you're having a great day, thanks for taking the time to reply!

It seems very odd that the Ftibit app is still not syncing using your cellular data, would it be possible for you to go to your phone Settings > Fitbit and check that Cellular Data and Background App refresh are enabled?

CellularData.png

If they are, please disable them, restart your phone and enable them again. Please give it a try and let me know the outcome!  

Best Answer

Oh my gosh! Thank you! Cellular data for Fitbit was off. I'm now syncing with cellular data! I appreciate your help. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @DLovely, thank you for your reply, I'm glad my suggestion has been helpful to you and that your issue has now been resolved. 

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted!

Happy stepping. Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issue.  This issue has only started the last few months.  Previously I never had an issue.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried these suggestions and my blaze still won't sync thru data.   I also seem to have it working for a few days and then once I haven't used wifi for a few days the connection gets lost and I cannot reconnect until I have an active wifi 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Sbaumken, thanks for joining the conversation, it's nice to see you around. Smiley Happy

If you have already enable Cellular Data on your phone for Fitbit and your tracker is only syncing through Wi-Fi, please disable Cellular Data and Background App Refresh. Then, restart your phone and enable these options once again. 

In case that doesn't do the trick, please uninstall the Fitbit app, and reinstall it again. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and let me know the outcome! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I did do that and it didn't work but later in the day I noticed it reconnected. I can't figure why it drops. It's rare once it drops that I reconnect until I get to a wifi area.

I never had a problem before until these last few months.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree. the FitBit tracker should only need bluetooth to synch. What ever the Wifi (or cellular) connection is being used for can wait for the next opportunity to do the transfer. 

Best Answer

This is a terrible bug. I can go weeks without mobile phone reception.

Not being able to use the app to monitor my FB without an internet connection makes my Charge2 useless to me. I will now have to return it to place of purchase for a refund.

It would have been nice to know this prior to going to the trouble of buying one.

For the developers: Why not sync locally to a phone or tablet without internet connection, allowing the dashboard to be used and save data from my FB when out of range.

When internet connection becomes available, my phone can then sync the data to the FB servers (although I don't see why this is needed for one device).

Moderator Edit: Format.

Best Answer

Hello @SunsetRunner, I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around. Smiley Happy

We really appreciate our members's input and feedback and I would like to thank you for yours. Our team is always looking to improve the Fitbit experience and I would like to thank you for voicing your opinion. Please note that under the specs of every Fitbit device is specified that syncing requires Bluetooth LE and Internet connection, WiFi or cellular data. I understand your concern about this feature, but please remember that your Fitbit device can store up to 7 days of detailed information and 30 days of general information when you don't have immediate internet access. 

Thanks again for your participation in the forums, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the patronizing response, however your comment does nothing to improve the fitbit except to explain away the limitations. Rather than words, why not apply some resources and fix this bug?? As mentioned in a previous post, I only wanted to view the data from my phone instead of on the ridiculously small fitbit display. . If you can't write software to process it on my phone, then say so. Don't wrap it in marketing speak as a feature to share results with all and sundry. All this is a moot point for me now as my fitbit has been returned because is it not fit for (my) purpose and I am being more than vocal as to why. I am now investigating other options. I want to thank fitbit because if nothing else, this unsavory experience has taught me to look closely at the fine print and ensure any device I purchase does what I need rather than what the salespeople tell me. In so far as fitbit treating security seriously, that is exactly what Facebook said before the Cambridge Analytica saga.
Best Answer

I live and hike in an area with poor cell coverage so requiring an internet connection to sync is much less than ideal, it feels like a poorly designed app.  I chose the flex2 because I have small wrists and wanted a slim device.  Since it has no display and will not sync without internet,  it is unsatisfactory 

Best Answer