Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zone minutes not reflected in exercise days

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Today when I checked my zone minutes, I saw 43 consecutive minutes identified as intense activity. When I checked exercise Dave, I noted that no credit was given for the 43 minutes of intense activity as reported in zone minutes. I have noted this happening intermittently over the past couple of weeks. Does anyone have an idea why intense activity would not show up as exercise? I would greatly appreciate feedback. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Today I spoke with the supervisor except for customer care. He provided me with an explanation as to why I was not getting full credit for exercise. I get credit for exercise if I mimic riding a bike by putting four fingers in my pocket and my son and my belt no. Because I am blind, and do not swing my hands vigorously enough when walking, I get credit for moderate activity in active minutes, but the exercise is not recognized by the algorithm used by Fitbit. I do get credit for steps for elevated heart rate and distance, etc. but  Yeah algorithm does not interpret it as a recognized exercise. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

more information: I just completed a 22 minute walk and received credit for biking in both zone minutes and daily exercise. If I walk with my left hand having four fingers in my pocket and thumb and belt loop, I find I consistently get credit for the exercise, and it is recorded as bike riding. I know that working with your hand in your pocket is not safe, but it consistently gets me credit for exercise and zone minutes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nobody has ever been satisfied with the explanation of the difference between zone minutes and exercise sessions.  Therefore I am making it a resolution that this this will be my final attempt.

Zone minutes and exercise sessions are totally different animals.

Exercise session = workout = shown as an exercise day.

1. anything auto-detected as exercise for the minimum time set for that exercise type; perhaps a 15 minute walk if it was auto-detected.
  2. anything recorded with the on-device Exercise App no matter how long or how intense.

Zone Minutes = time spent with your heart rate sufficiently high to reach at least fat burn zone.

------------------------------

Examples of one without the other:

1. Run a half mile all-out in 5 minutes. Get your heart rate way up. Earn 5-10 zone minutes, but not long enough to be auto-detected as a run so no credit as a workout, despite what you might think you deserve.

2. On the Exercise app on your wrist, say you are starting a run, lay down for 5 minutes, then tap your wrist to say you are done.  It will count as an exercise session/workout/day of exercise, but you will get no zone minutes because you heart rate did not reach fat burn zone.

Farewell to trying to explain zone minutes vs. exercise sessions.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Hey, I’ll understand your explanation. However, I do not know why. 43 consecutive minutes of intense activity i.e. walking was not recorded as exercise. This session consisted of 31 minutes in the fat burning zone and 12 minutes in the cardio range. If I simulate walking to Record as outdoor bike it records as moderate activity and they receive credit for it. I am relying now upon zone minutes and exercise to make up for the fact that the recent update, 3.72 removed the heart rate numbers from the iOS app for those who are blind  And reading disabled. As a blind user, I am is frustrated with losing or not receiving information available to sighted people on the iOS app as you are frustrated by the number of questions people have wanting to know why zone and exercise do not always make sense. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am still confused??? If 43 minutes of intense activity is not recorded as exercise but recorded in zone minutes why is 57 minutes recorded as outdoor bike when only eight minutes were active zone minutes. I know that I simulated riding the outdoor bike as described above and received credit for 57. 

Is this an anomaly or is this an issue related to software unable to classify the 43 minutes of intense activity, and therefore not giving credit. Do the software developers is this an anomaly or is this a issue related to software unable to classify the 43 minutes of intense activity, and therefore not giving credit. Do the software developers have an answer that might explain how this occurred.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When you talk about so many minutes of walking or biking you are not telling whether using Exercise App or not.  I just told how that is an important factor to know.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent from my iPhone I leave the calculation of exercise up to the iOS app and Fitbit calculations. I do not open the exercise block and enter start time and end times. I tried that once years ago and found it difficult for me to do so I leave it up to the Fitbit software and the iOS app to interpret my activity and give me credit. T this is the way I have always done it because it is the simplest way.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Again, I did not get credit in exercise for back to zone minutes.

8:49  to  9:03 am outdoor bike

9:04 to 9:18am moderate activity

9:20 to 9:42 am outdoor bike

I did not receive credit and exercise for the moderate activity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Today I spoke with the supervisor except for customer care. He provided me with an explanation as to why I was not getting full credit for exercise. I get credit for exercise if I mimic riding a bike by putting four fingers in my pocket and my son and my belt no. Because I am blind, and do not swing my hands vigorously enough when walking, I get credit for moderate activity in active minutes, but the exercise is not recognized by the algorithm used by Fitbit. I do get credit for steps for elevated heart rate and distance, etc. but  Yeah algorithm does not interpret it as a recognized exercise. 

Best Answer
0 Votes