Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Categorize Exercise" as Driving not deleting the information.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I found one issue in the Exercise section that could be improved in the future. That is, the "Categorize Exercise" feature does nothing but change the name of the exercise. I kind of hoped that once the exercise's name was changed, the corresponding data would change as well, but they didn't.

To give you an example, Fitbit recorded my driving as Outdoor Bike. When I saw that in the app, I tapped on the "Categorize Exercise" to change the name to "Driving" (Image 1.) I expected that once the activity was categorized differently, the calories, steps and active minutes would change. But they remained the same (Image 2). With incorrect data, the activity became no use to me now, so I had to delete it and manually create a new activity call Driving. Now you can see that the data were changed properly for the chosen activity (Image 3.)

I hope that Fitbit can improve this issue so the "Categorize Exercise feature becomes actually useful.

Category was changed from Outdoor Bike to Driving.Category was changed from Outdoor Bike to Driving.Incorrect old data remained.Incorrect old data remained.New activity had to be added manually instead.New activity had to be added manually instead.

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hello @tvu732, I hope you're having a great day, it's nice to see you around the Fitbit Community! Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have brought this to my attention. Please note that when categorizing an exercise, this will not change the data already recorded by the tracker, the categorization process to is for you to keep a more accurate record of your activities, which is why when you selected "Driving" when categorizing an activity, the information was not deleted. In the future, if you would like to negate information recorded by your tracker, instead of categorizing an exercise as "Driving", log a new manual "Driving" activity.

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight about this feature, in case there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MarcoGFitbit Thanks for your reply, but I think I was misunderstood. I didn't mean to "delete the data recorded by the tracker." I know that the data is always there once recorded. But the app needs to show the appropriate data corresponding to the chosen type of activity, because for the same duration of activity and heart rate, the calories burned will be different if the activity is different. For example, Fitbit usually auto-detects my weight training as Sports. Sports has a much lower calorie estimate than Weights. So when I re-categorize Sports to Weights, I expect the calorie number to increase as well. If not, what is the point of the "Categorize Exercise" option? I'd rather delete the wrong activity completely and manually record a new one.

Best Answer